The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Melancholy
As far as I understand, we're keeping the D&D parent forum for structural reasons. The D&D forum is currently f9, and changing that would mean getting the admins to change all the links around the site and it would generally cause too many disruptions. We've discussed the idea of using the main forum for posting up stickies, rules and dumping threads where we'll later allocate into a different subforum. We're not sure whether we want people posting in the parent forum when most threads can be placed in the 'culture forum'. So there are various ideas for the D&D parent forum.

RE: Your 'History' section. We've noted it. We're not sure how popular such a forum would be. Whilst I'm personally all in favour of historical debate, we haven't really seen a substantial number of threads specifically discussing historical events - perhaps the odd Hiroshima debate amongst the predictable debate on the existence of Israel. I'm not too confident that creating a specific forum for it would substantially increase the number of historically themed threads.

FAO: Dionysus. The name of the 'Rigorous Forum' may be changed.

there's a hell of a lot of debate on 0000ad events, not surprisingly
The Bachelor
This brings up an interesting point though. If Greg makes a rigorous thread (assumptions, numbered arguments that logically follow, anticipation of some attacks) on the problem of evil, is it supposed to go into theology or into rigorous debate? And/or are you going to allow him to post it in both?

Horrah! Thanks Bachelor, for realising my point.

I always make sure that all of my very own threads in debate and discussion are rigorous. To me, all debate and discussion should be rigorous. We are not children. Juvenile posts can go in Chat.
What happens to the main forum of D&D (i.e. not the subforums)? Everything has been moved, but does that mean it won't be used in future?
Reply 83
We're thinking at the moment that it can be left for important announcements, but this may change.
How Seven_Three would run D&D;

Posting a formal/logical fallacy - Week ban

Posting Ad hominems, Argumentum ad populum, Ad nauseam, Proof by assertion, any other informal fallacies ect - 10 points

Posting arguments which don't directly rely on logical/rational reasoning upon observation/facts/a established and accepted idea, i.e rhetorical or semantic/linguistic arguments ect - Week ban

Posting a statement which is not and/or cannot be back up by valid reasoning and/or is not qualifiable - 10 points

Posting material/comments not directly related/dealing with the orignal post/topic/debate - 5 points

Being unable to to argue and continue a line of reasoning, leaving a topic dead after posting - Week ban

Not being able to adhere to basic etiquette, i.e not interfering in long debates between two people, bad spell and grammar ect - Variable

That is a no nonsense approach.

Edit: Search your heart, you know this to be a good thing.

Edit: Also ignorance is no excuse.
This sentence is a lie.
Reply 86
The problem of subdividing forums is that it means you have to look through each of them to scan for threads.

I find less forums is best as you only need one page and the best threads inveitably rise to the top.

I think a split by mode could be ok, so that people who want almost academic level essays have a place to go. Other than that i find splitting by topic annoying. Especially as i don't know whether to post threads in politics or social/cultural, the two are very similar.
seven-three
Not being able to adhere to basic etiquette, i.e not interfering in long debates between two people, bad spell and grammar ect - Variable

How much for wrongly spelling etc. ?
Once again it is highly disappointing to see another reshuffle without a science and technology/environment area. These are very important issues that we should be debating, not ignoring.
ChemistBoy
Once again it is highly disappointing to see another reshuffle without a science and technology/environment area. These are very important issues that we should be debating, not ignoring.

We did consider science-specific and history-specific subforums in D&D; but for now I guess they'll have to find an appropriate subforum in the ones listed. Users may not have the specific knowledge to engage in those sorts of subject-specific debates, but those threads can be found within the other subforums.
mmmmm, science!
Melancholy
We did consider science-specific and history-specific subforums in D&D; but for now I guess they'll have to find an appropriate subforum in the ones listed. Users may not have the specific knowledge to engage in those sorts of subject-specific debates, but those threads can be found within the other subforums.

There really isn't an appropriate subforum, that's why science threads end up in religion, which is silly, or debate on this area is stifled due to lack of provision.
ChemistBoy
There really isn't an appropriate subforum, that's why science threads end up in religion, which is silly, or debate on this area is stifled due to lack of provision.

Yeah, I think you do have a good point, and it's certainly something worthy to be considered, in my opinion. I know, for example, that there's an official 'Evolution' sticky in 'Theology', which shouldn't strictly be there unless it's solely concerned with how theists reconcile their faith to current, well-established scientific theories. I guess that social/cultural will have to do for now. I would add that I haven't seen very many debates which require a very specific amount of scientific knowledge, but for debates such as "Can the XYZ injection contribute to increasing the risk of heart attacks?", I think an science-specific academic forum would be a more fruitful environment, since they understand the methodology, the causation and the key concepts which need to be discussed. Granted, you could probably say the same for some of the economic debates here, or historical debates; so I guess I'm in two minds about the issue :tongue:
Melancholy
Yeah, I think you do have a good point, and it's certainly something worthy to be considered, in my opinion. I know, for example, that there's an official 'Evolution' sticky in 'Theology', which shouldn't strictly be there unless it's solely concerned with how theists reconcile their faith to current, well-established scientific theories. I guess that social/cultural will have to do for now. I would add that I haven't seen very many debates which require a very specific amount of scientific knowledge, but for debates such as "Can the XYZ injection contribute to increasing the risk of heart attacks?", I think an science-specific academic forum would be a more fruitful environment, since they understand the methodology, the causation and the key concepts which need to be discussed. Granted, you could probably say the same for some of the economic debates here, or historical debates; so I guess I'm in two minds about the issue

I guess it depends. Yes, you are right that one cannot carry on high level scientific debate without recourse to technical knowledge and terminology, but there are many issues that are scientific and technical that could be discussed by the layperson (such as methods to tackle climate change). I suppose one could say that they are social issues, but that's not what I see the words social/cultural to mean on first impression which would stop me posting about such things in that forum.
That seems like a fair comment. It's not purely the political significance of environmental issues which need to be considered; the response to it is also important.
I told you all so... :rolleyes:
Errr, told us all what..? :smile:
Is there a point in having a Social/Cultural thread? I've noticed a lot of posts that should be in there end up being posted in the general D&D section.
Melancholy

How about a forum for 'Intellectual Discussion' with subforums for science and history or something? I've noticed this is something TSR is missing.
Darkened Angel
How about a forum for 'Intellectual Discussion' with subforums for science and history or something? I've noticed this is something TSR is missing.

Yes, that's something which came up as an idea when we did the whole reshuffle.

Latest

Trending

Trending