2nd law of thermodynamics Watch

sonic23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so i have learnt this as part of A-level physics but there seems to be a different definition everywhere!

the heat engine version states
" No continually working heat engine can take heat from a source and convert it completely into work"

the heat-pump version says that
" heat cannot be transferred continually from one body to another at a higher temperature unless work is done by an external agent"

Then there is the whole thing which states that the entropy of the universe always increases, with entropy being defined as the meausre of disorder.

If you were to define the 2nd law, how would you do it concisely?

Thanks in advance!
Mehh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sonic23)
Ok so i have learnt this as part of A-level physics but there seems to be a different definition everywhere!

" No continually working heat engine can take heat from a source and convert it completely into work"

" heat cannot be transferred continually from one body to another at a higher temperature unless work is done by an external agent"

Then there is the whole thing which states that the entropy of the universe always increases, with entropy being defined as the meausre of disorder.

Thanks in advance!
dS dt >0
shungun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
heat generally cannot spontaneously move from a lower temperature body to a body with higher temperature body
motoroller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Heat cannot of itself move from a cold body to a hotter body. There are lots of different statements - it can be proven that they are identical.
alex-hs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Thanks in advance!
Flanders and Swann put it quite succinctly: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb2kBFqrZx8
motoroller
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aaah, flanders and swann. We had that played in our lectures.
sonic23
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by motoroller)
Aaah, flanders and swann. We had that played in our lectures.
please dont tell me anyone found it funny
motoroller
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
funny
The lecturer got a standing ovation at the end of his lecture course.
wizz_kid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OP, if u think about it carefully, they all mean the same thing, the entropy of the universe increases over time.
shungun
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wizz_kid)
OP, if u think about it carefully, they all mean the same thing, the entropy of the universe increases over time.
he probably realises that but just wants to know how to express it in a simple yet understandable form i guess?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?