Turn on thread page Beta

At university, do school grades become insignificant? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm in my first year of 6th form, and although GCSE's no longer feel that important, it still niggles at me, and a lot of my friends have the same feeling.

So I'm just wondering, once you begin your degree course at university, do school grades (GCSE's, A-levels etc) become a thing of the past? Or is it still quite talked about?

Well, if you get onto the course, why would you care?

ReputationRep:
    Nobody really talks about them.

Your GCSEs will never matter much again, A levels will come up to be relevant if you look for graduate jobs. I think your A levels tend to stay with you but GCSEs just disappear into irrelevance.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently not. In fresher's week here, a guy doing Law asked me what the entry requirements were for my course. He started bragging about his five A-levels, and I was like 'oh yeah, I only did three but I got AAA ' The reply I got was:

'If you got three As, why aren't you doing something BETTER?!' ... and he turned his attention elsewhere.

Come to think of it, with an attitude like that, he's probably on TSR reading this right now. ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Well, if you get onto the course, why would you care?
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    Apparently not. In fresher's week here, a guy doing Law asked me what the entry requirements were for my course. He started bragging about his five A-levels, and I was like 'oh yeah, I only did three but I got AAA ' The reply I got was:

'If you got three As, why aren't you doing something BETTER?!' ... and he turned his attention elsewhere.

Come to think of it, with an attitude like that, he's probably on TSR reading this right now. ¬_¬
    When I go to uni I hope never to encounter such *****.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, it still bothers me that I got a B in Maths at GCSE and a C in Economics at A Level. And that I didn't do as well as I could've done in my second year at uni.

Does it make a massive difference to my life? Not really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)

He sounds like a right ****!

ReputationRep:
    They become irrelevant, and all the time you wasted, was a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    When I go to uni I hope never to encounter such *****.
    It definitely dampened my mood for a little while, that's for sure. :P

ReputationRep:
    a level grades get u into uni.... have no relevance after that. be hard for a lot of tsrs....

ReputationRep:
    People only care in Week 1...

I mean - did you stress about SATS when you were trying to do A' Levels?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My tutor told me that "you are only as good as your last qualification". If you do a postgrad, they don't tend to look at your A-levels. They just have to be passes in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    its not that important...you will probably encounter the odd butt-head who deems it important enough to reel off their grades to you about how much work they put in to get their a's at A Level etc etc and how they regret their choices and blah blah... basically, you have to ignore this, but to most people, no they dont matter.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In what way? They're important when applying for graduate jobs, but otherwise, no one really cares. When you were doing your A-Levels, did anyone really discuss or go on about their GCSEs? Nope. Same with university and previous qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    When you were doing your A-Levels, did anyone really discuss or go on about their GCSEs? .
    Yes they do in my school. My maths class in particular. The lad who got an A* in GCSE maths never stops banging on about it. And in turn, it makes me and others start thinking about GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    a-levels aren't really discussed at uni - the uni offered you a place so you're good enough to be there. however, they may become important again when you leave. there are a number of graduate employers that specify a minimum number of UCAS points as well as a 2.1. BAE, for example, want 320 points (ABB) and a 2.1 as a minimum. it's no good having a first and 280 points; you're application won't pass the initial sift.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are insignificant. I remember briefly discussing A-Levels in the first week of first year but after that nobody cares about your A-Level or GCSE grades. I'm supervising first years this year and couldn't care less what they got at A-Level. I think people on this website who post their GCSE and A-Level grades in their signatures are quite sad to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's insignificant. Our Leaving Cert grades were never mentioned past the first week or two of term. They've only come up again since then when I've been asked about it by people I'm giving maths grinds to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Yes they are insignificant. I remember briefly discussing A-Levels in the first week of first year but after that nobody cares about your A-Level or GCSE grades. I'm supervising first years this year and couldn't care less what they got at A-Level. I think people on this website who post their GCSE and A-Level grades in their signatures are quite sad to be honest.
    Hahaha, touché.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.