Turn on thread page Beta

Please keep anon cos i have friends on here who dont know about it and id like to keep it that way thanks
    anyway.. i have a raised mole on my back... its like... jellyish. and its about
    1cm x 1cm but a circle obviously.
    it makes me really self conscious when i wear swimming costumes and stuff and i dread to think what a boy would think of me if he found it.
    so im here to get some advice.
    i dont think its cancerous or anything cos ive had it as long as i can remember.
    but how do i go about getting it removed?
    whats the general procedure for removing moles?
    and does it hurt? (im a really big wimp when it comes to pain)
    thankyou anyone that can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon cos i have friends on here who dont know about it and id like to keep it that way thanks
    it makes me really self conscious when i wear swimming costumes and stuff and i dread to think what a boy would think of me if he found it.
    i dont think its cancerous or anything cos ive had it as long as i can remember.
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2298.asp...bCategoryID=69
    - here's a link to the information you're asking for.

Also, don't be embarrassed loads of people have them, I'm sure no one would give it a second thought. In fact, I know people who had the removed but I couldn't even remember them having any in the first place =P

ReputationRep:
    cancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi hello hey yo)
    cancer
    ¬_¬ I hope she doesn't get worried after you said that, 'cause that's silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jazmine)
    ¬_¬ I hope she doesn't get worried after you said that, 'cause that's silly.
    skin cancer. it's not silly.
    http://www.gii.in/wallpapers/data/me...-Tattoos-2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    i have loads of raised moles on my body. but as long as they dont change shape or colour, you'll be fine.
    If you're that worried, go and speak to your gp about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi hello hey yo)
    skin cancer. it's not silly.
    Yes, it is. Malignant melanoma in most people on this forum is extremely rare. It generally has a long latent period to actually develop, more than about 20 years in most cases. Especially considering she's 'had it as long as she can remember' - if it were cancerous, she'd be dead by now :p:

Of course, there is always the possibility of any mole developing into a cancer so it's always worth keeping an eye on it.

Back to the op... getting it removed say by freezing it won't really hurt you. It feels funny, but not painful, but it develops a sort of blister which is a bit sore.

I'd go see your GP and ask them about it - it's probably more likely you'll need to go private but it's worth a shot.

Oh and for what it's worth.... I don't think you need to worry about the cosmesis at all. Anyone worth their salt wouldn't give a stuff. My bf has a mole like yours, on his chest, it's bigger even. He's really self conscious about it but I couldn't care less! We all have something that we fixate on; something we can maybe even change. If we did change it though, odds are we'd focus on something else.

ReputationRep:
    Next time you think about posting anything on this forum concerning health problems that we can't see, remember the only prudent answer is "Go see you GP". No-one on here can help you , other than saying "try not to worry (hugs)". Worse, you get given glib answers "you have cancer" that help no-one. Not many people on this site have medical training, and those that do, you can't trust, because this is an open forum. So for your own peace of mind, and for that of others thinking of putting their problems up here, the only answer you'll get is "go to your GP".

Concerning your particular problem.....I'd go and check it out with your GP.

ReputationRep:
    go and get it checked out by the doctors they can tell you how to get rid of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey I had one like this on my back they advised me to get it removed because it looked suspicious. I don't see why you need to be embarrased of it because some girls have loads of them. If you posted a pic we could tell you if it looks bad or not. Id be honest I wouldn't just say it looks fine to cheer you up. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean Id be embarrased if I had one not sure why but I would, probably cause Im used to not have any. If it bothers you you could easily get it removed just ask your gp tell him that it keeps getting itchy so it doesn't sound like you want it removed for cosmetic reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dob86)
    Next time you think about posting anything on this forum concerning health problems that we can't see, remember the only prudent answer is "Go see you GP". No-one on here can help you , other than saying "try not to worry (hugs)". Worse, you get given glib answers "you have cancer" that help no-one. Not many people on this site have medical training, and those that do, you can't trust, because this is an open forum. So for your own peace of mind, and for that of others thinking of putting their problems up here, the only answer you'll get is "go to your GP".
    But to read the original post, this isn't really a health problem, it's a cosmetic problem. People can give advice on the routes to go for this sort of thing. Many in this thread seem to have misunderstood - or maybe not even read the original post and gone by the subject alone - they saw "raised mole" and jumped to "cancer" and hence "get it checked" etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    But to read the original post, this isn't really a health problem, it's a cosmetic problem. People can give advice on the routes to go for this sort of thing. Many in this thread seem to have misunderstood - or maybe not even read the original post and gone by the subject alone - they saw "raised mole" and jumped to "cancer" and hence "get it checked" etc etc...

If you need information about cosmetic aspects of the mole? Cover it with concealer or...... go see your GP about getting it removed. Simple. There is nothing any of us can do, because we can't see it, apart from say it shouldn't hurt to get removed, but you'll end up with a scar that might be bigger than the mole. Again don't trust me, see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should worry about it at all, I have one on my armpit and I have a line of like 6 or 7 big freckle like things on my back too. You shouldn't be embarrassed about it, I think the majority of people have some sort of mole/freckle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dob86)
    If you need information about cosmetic aspects of the mole? Cover it with concealer or...... go see your GP about getting it removed. Simple. There is nothing any of us can do, because we can't see it, apart from say it shouldn't hurt to get removed, but you'll end up with a scar that might be bigger than the mole. Again don't trust me, see your GP.
    There is one thing a mass of people like this can do though. Do you need to actually see a 1cmx1cm mole on a person to judge whether or not it would bother you? I don't. Especially if I already liked that person. What a mob like TSR can do is build a person's confidence in that sense.

And of course, talk about their own experiences of mole removal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suek)
    There is one thing a mass of people like this can do though. Do you need to actually see a 1cmx1cm mole on a person to judge whether or not it would bother you? I don't. Especially if I already liked that person. What a mob like TSR can do is build a person's confidence in that sense.

And of course, talk about their own experiences of mole removal.
    You're right about sharing experiences. Talking to people with similar experience is useful up to a point.

The OP wants to know how to go about getting it removed. I still stand by the fact the only way for this to happen is to go see your GP, and not listen to some of the detritus that this forum throws up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dob86)
    You're right about sharing experiences. Talking to people with similar experience is useful up to a point.

The OP wants to know how to go about getting it removed. I still stand by the fact the only way for this to happen is to go see your GP, and not listen to some of the detritus that this forum throws up.
    Oh I absolutely agree! It's just her desire to get it removed seems born out of the "dreading to think what a boy would think if he found it" which suggests no guys of her age have ever seen it... so maybe she could feel better about that rather than getting it removed. (As odds are, if it is completely non-suspicious, removal would be a costly procedure).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2009
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.