When to start buying stuff? Watch

Shash91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so Uni is like months away but do people start buying stuff that they'll need early in order to spread the cost or what?

randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whenever you see something that you want and have the money? Best to spread the cost :yep: I'd say.
TheNightmareSSJ3Broly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dont leave everything till the last minute, it can get very stressful.
pork products
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i would start buying when you know you have got the grades as it wont take that long to get all the stuff
azhao
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've already planned out what to buy but not going to until July so stuff gets cheaper (ie electricals get cheaper).
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Start hiding stuff now. Your parents will be suspicious if a lot of things all go missing at the last minute!
stargirl001
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When you've got in
grape:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hahah i started buying stuff in my last year of highschool:P x
Roobagnall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
Start hiding stuff now. Your parents will be suspicious if a lot of things all go missing at the last minute!
If my rep was worth anything then i would rep you for that!

Halarious and true!
*River
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Start saving now so you don't have loads of money to spend come summer, but I wouldn't buy anything yet.
i_want_a_penguin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've started I have saucepans (because they were in the sale plus I had vouchers), tupperwear, iron and tabletop ironing board and I am planning to start sneaking stuff out of the cupboards over the next few months. Mother doesn't know what we have so she shouldn't notice! If you see something, it's a good deal and you have somewhere to store it, why not? Saves me running around at the last minute.
Immz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends, will you have a decent income during the summer? If so, wait until then, that's probably what I'm going to do
DMed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Id say once you've decided:

a) Where you're going (so you know what the rooms have)
b) If you're living away or at home (but in this case we can assume you're living away)
c) If you're going catered or not (if catered, there's normally very little to no space in the kitchen for anything other than a kettle)
getinthevan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by *River)
Start saving now so you don't have loads of money to spend come summer, but I wouldn't buy anything yet.
This. Start a little fund and put away a little each month, if you get the grades you can go SHOPPING, if you don't then convert it into alcohol and down your sorrows.
aimzdy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
wouldn't it also depend on how far away your uni is from home?
home for me is bucks but uni is up in scotland it would have been too much hassle to buy and drag everything up there. All i took were my clothes, books/dvds, tv and laptop. Everything else my parents and i purchased on the first day of moving in.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'd say leave it till the summer (unless you see some fantastic special offer) as you will be really, really bored then and will want something to do. The summer between sixth form and the start of uni is loooong.
kirsty142
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because I have an unconditional I asked for a lot of stuff for xmas and am buying some each week, when I get paid.
Shash91
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My conditional is very low, so unless I well and truly mess up I should be going!
robin29
Report 9 years ago
im saving mainly as not sure what im needing but some things like bedding asdn towels and some cutlery shizzle ive already got because
A) it was very cheap
B)even if i dont get in i still use it at home next year
C)i had monmey at the time

(Y)
dannicottell
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was going to do a Woolies raid before it shut...but forgot lol...ahhh well..its so far away and i dont want to jinx myself! I'm not even sure what I need to buy!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30.23%
No - I got the required grades (147)
56.98%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.79%

Watched Threads