Turn on thread page Beta

Meeting the parents watch

Announcements

How long into the relationship were you before you met her/his parents? Also, how was the experience?

ReputationRep:
    I met her parents early on, and even before we were going out, it was fine, her parents were nothing what i expected had all these preconceptions that they would be horrible and hate me but it was the total opposite, just be yourself, they will like you im sure!

ReputationRep:
    i met my girlfriend's mum before we were going out
    but i didnt meet her dad until like 6 months into the relationship, and we went for a meal lol.
    it was a bit awkward cos he wasnt much of a talker, so i had to do most of the talking, but it turned out okay

ReputationRep:
    Umm very early on! It was fine, never really thought about it or was really worreid!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    About 3 - 4 months

ReputationRep:
    Met them just over a month in our relationship. It was fine, terrified at first but they aren't going to maul you on first sight lol.

Best advice I can give is just be honest, and nothing can wrong, they're probably interested to find out who you are, and just want to get to know you a little.

ReputationRep:
    I found out my GFs parents were both hi ranking gov security officals.
    needless to say my first 5 mins meeting them were VERY tense. but they are the most awesom people. doing the job they do means they are really liberal and pro thinking and her dad has a kick ass sense of dark humor that is just as wrong as mine.
    i thought i would get the grilling from hell. but actually ended up sitting up late drinking wine and having a laugh

ReputationRep:
    I only date orphans.

ReputationRep:
    I met his 2 weeks later, he met mine 5 weeks later and everyone said that was far too long waiting 5 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    I met my ex boyfriends mum whilst helping cleaning up his house after he had a masssive house party. Wasn't the best experience but she apologised after and said I was a nice girl for helping him clean up haha.

ReputationRep:
    10 months.

Haha, but he does live in Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel83)
    I met his 2 weeks later, he met mine 5 weeks later and everyone said that was far too long waiting 5 weeks!
    Hahahha oh dear i must look so weird then!

ReputationRep:
    i met his parents 5 days after we met/started going out, he met min 6 months after! they live abroad though....

it was fine, pretty relaxed

ReputationRep:
    It was probably about 1-2 months after we started going out, he was a bit shy about me meeting his parents and I was pretty scared but it was all good... his mum and I got really into that years Big Brother after a couple of months so that was always a good conversation starter!

ReputationRep:
    2 or 3 months.....he only has a dad tho so it was much easier

ReputationRep:
    I'd met them before we started dating and didn't really think about it. Never considered it to be a problem or nerve wracking personally - they're just people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    Hahahha oh dear i must look so weird then!
    Nah, mine are overly keen!

ReputationRep:
    I'd never really met them. Just occasionally said 'hi' if I passed them.

I wouldn't let my girlfriend talk to my parents. They're anti-social misanthropists.

ReputationRep:
    I met my current girlfriend's parents very briefly at her house after 5 weeks. We only really said 'Hi' and introduced ourselves really before she dragged me into the kitchen, haha. I never met my previous girlfriend's parents and the girl I was seeing before that - I only met her parents a couple of months after we moved in with each other. To be fair, they did live a considerable distance away.

ReputationRep:
    I knew the mother first :ninja:

We were **** buddies.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.