Turn on thread page Beta

How does one improve one's self confidence? watch

Says it all really.

I have this vicious circle situation where I get depressed because boys are literally NEVER interested in me (I've only had one boyfriend and that was nearly three years ago, and he was the only person who has ever even been attracted to me), so my self confidence falls - but then because I'm so shy and full of self-loathing I end up avoiding going out and meeting new people, and when I do I don't make a great impression because I'm not confident enough. So this makes boys overlook me even more, then my self-esteem plunges more, and the cycle is repeated again and again.

I know that I need to work on my self-esteem but how exactly can I do this? I'm trying to lose weight because that is a major issue, but it's a slow process and doesn't seem to be helping so far. So has anyone got any tips for improving self esteem?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You sound really like me tbh :|
    Thing is, you should just try to act normal around guys, like as friends. This way you'll develop friendships and become more comfortable around them which will help you when you meet a guy you want more than friendship with.
    Just don't think of it as going out to meet new people, think of it as going out to have fun and if you happen to meet some new people, that's great. But don't feel like you've failed if you don't meet people, you've got the rest of your life to make friends and meet a guy there's no rush.

ReputationRep:
    go for girls.

ReputationRep:
    Do something amazing. I am usually quite shy, but I have found that doing stuff to help others gives you a real boost.
    Last May I went on a 1500 ft Skydive and raised £500 for my local hospice. It was brilliant, and I found that having done that I was more confident.

You may think no one is attacted to you, but that is probably due to the jerk syndrome. Many guys are shy and assume that some girls just aren't within their 'league' and therefore don't always try to approach girls. Be assertive. I am sure that some1 is out there who you will get on with.

ReputationRep:
    You sound kind of like me, but at least you've had one.

I guess you could take drama classes or something. Or, alternatively, pretend to be acting when you meet and talk to people. Sort of works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Follow a bloke around and tell him about your problems. Guys love that.

ReputationRep:
    Get drunk. lol, just kidding.
    Try listening to some music, it gets you in a more confident mood, depending on what songs you're listening to

ReputationRep:
    Someone once told me "rembember that you are just as good as anyone else". A simple statement but I've always remembered it and has definitely improved my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    You sound exactly like the female version of me!

I know it's really lame, but I feel like I really want someone just to tell me honestly that they think I am attractive. It's so shallow and stupid, but I really think that just one genuine compliment would boost my self-esteem at least a little bit! Problem is that if you ask people "am I ugly/pretty" they're always going to say what they think you want to hear, so you never get an honest answer.

ReputationRep:
    Nlp

ReputationRep:
    Start hanging round with ugly people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    Someone once told me "rembember that you are just as good as anyone else". A simple statement but I've always remembered it and has definitely improved my confidence.
    **** that, remember that you are BETTER than everyone else.

You don't have to be openly arrogant about it, but I know that i'm definitely better than 95% of the population out there in terms of financial prospects, looks, charm, oh I could go on :p: .

*awaits the bloodbath when all the low self esteem geeks see my post*

(Original post by D R E A M Z)

You don't have to be openly arrogant about it, but I know that i'm definitely better than 95% of the population out there in terms of financial prospects, looks, charm, oh I could go on :p: .

I would totally do that... if it was true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D R E A M Z)

No disagreements here boss :adore:

ReputationRep:
    masturbate

ReputationRep:
    I used to be pretty shy, but doing things like going to college / getting a job really helped me out. Im no where near as shy now, and doing things were you interact with people makes you a lot more confident, and more talkative. I wouldnt say I was ever popular with boys, but I definitely felt more confident around them when I was at college / work. Now I have a lovely boyfriend, and don't feel as shy.

My problem is talking to people and making friends how do you people do it like just go upto someone and start talking to them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Says it all really.

I have this vicious circle situation where I get depressed because boys are literally NEVER interested in me (I've only had one boyfriend and that was nearly three years ago, and he was the only person who has ever even been attracted to me), so my self confidence falls - but then because I'm so shy and full of self-loathing I end up avoiding going out and meeting new people, and when I do I don't make a great impression because I'm not confident enough. So this makes boys overlook me even more, then my self-esteem plunges more, and the cycle is repeated again and again.

I know that I need to work on my self-esteem but how exactly can I do this? I'm trying to lose weight because that is a major issue, but it's a slow process and doesn't seem to be helping so far. So has anyone got any tips for improving self esteem?

Thanks.
    Sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My problem is talking to people and making friends how do you people do it like just go upto someone and start talking to them?
    Get a job, even if its only like a few days a week or whatever, or do something you enjoy sport / drama etc. You won't make friends by not doing anything, and staying away from things.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.