Your opinion would be appreciated... Watch

eve_22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I received an offer from Harris Manchester college (Oxford University) to study law, starting October 2009. It is a mature student college, which admits students at the age of 21 and over.

Anyhow, there is a member on TSR who keeps on insisting that Harris Manchester college is the same as Birkbeck, which is part of UOL and where you can only study your degree part time. According to him, UOL is stronger then University of Oxford too.

I do not agree with him at all, as I had to pass through the same admission process as anyone else who applied to any other Oxford college. I had to sit the LNAT, was interviewed etc. The member (who's name I do not want to mention) has studied on the same access course as me and is now studying law at Essex. He seems to really disregard Harris Manchester, but I really don't want to believe that he is right

As far as I know, provided I go to Oxford, I will graduate with an Oxford degree, and not one which is college specific. I will be taught by the same tutors as others, go to the same lectures and sit the same exams. Therefore am I right to think that, no matter which college you go to, Oxford will always remain Oxford???
QuantumTheory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Jealousy sucks.

Be very happy you got in, you must have really deserved it!
Congratulations, so, so much. It's your time to be in the spotlight or whatever now, you'll have a great time.

Jess
eve_22
Rep:
?
In fact, this endless disregard of HMC actually made me upset, so this is an extract from the latest message I got:

Re: Birkbeck

Hey,

No offence but Harris Manchester College is ranked lower then birkbeck in every aspect. There's actually no difference between the two, Harris Manchester College belongs to oxford university and is for mature students only and birkbeck belongs to university of london (UCL etc) which is a stronger academic and has mostly mature students.

I disagree and think that this is just mean. Sorry to the author of these words, but I had to get the opinion of others too...
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whoa, the University of London has a stronger reputation for law than Oxford?

This guy is a total chump. Entirely disregard everything he says.
Alvin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Agree, disregard everything he says.
RockyRoad
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by eve_22)
In fact, this endless disregard of HMC actually made me upset, so this is an extract from the latest message I got:

Re: Birkbeck

Hey,

No offence but Harris Manchester College is ranked lower then birkbeck in every aspect. There's actually no difference between the two, Harris Manchester College belongs to oxford university and is for mature students only and birkbeck belongs to university of london (UCL etc) which is a stronger academic and has mostly mature students.

I disagree and think that this is just mean. Sorry to the author of these words, but I had to get the opinion of others too...
Go easy on him, he clearly cannot follow a line of reason - just look at his message. HM is lower than Birkbeck, but there's actually no difference between the two. A clear and logical thinker? I think not!

Congratulations on your Oxford offer.
eve_22
Rep:
?
(Original post by RockyRoad)
Go easy on him, he clearly cannot follow a line of reason - just look at his message. HM is lower than Birkbeck, but there's actually no difference between the two. A clear and logical thinker? I think not!

Congratulations on your Oxford offer.

Thank you.

Oh, and by the way, one of the other posts actually said that Essex has a law department as good as that of UCL...I guess I should have realised by then that this was all just a mean 'joke' lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads