Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who at uni pays extra for an ensuite room?

Is it worth paying an extra £20 a week when I go to uni for an ensuite?

The thought of sharing a bathroom with someone dirty makes me feel a little ill. And I don't like hairs.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what the uni, considers en suite.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth it if you think it's worth it - don't worry about what anyone else thinks. If you want ensuite and are prepared to pay for it, do it.

ReputationRep:
    The prospect of an ensuite fills my eyes with tears; it seems like the greatest luxury an impoverished student could dream of. Oh, I wish I had been prepared to fork out just a tiny bit extra, to avoid the inconvenience of trotting down the corridor every time I need the bathroom...

I'm deadly serious. It's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOtherZoe)
    The prospect of an ensuite fills my eyes with tears; it seems like the greatest luxury an impoverished student could dream of. Oh, I wish I had been prepared to fork out just a tiny bit extra, to avoid the inconvenience of trotting down the corridor every time I need the bathroom...

I'm deadly serious. It's worth it.
    Haha, I will definitely consider it then!

I like privacy, I will just have to eat/drink less a week to even it out.

ReputationRep:
    i had an ensuite in second year when i moved out of halls into student apartments...it was totally worth the extra but i think sharing a bathroom is only bad if you have mangy flatmates.

In first year between 6 girls we had 2 toilets and 1 shower/sinkroom, three of my flatmates didn't understand the concept of cleaning up after themselves so the shower room was constantly covered in hair, some of them used the shower for sex sessions with their boyfs (more mess yuck) then one of them chose to leave a dildo chair in there (after an ann summers party) only for the dildo to go missing a few days later:lolwut:

So yeah ensuite definately worth it...no dealing with other peoples mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimzdy)
    i had an ensuite in second year when i moved out of halls into student apartments...it was totally worth the extra but i think sharing a bathroom is only bad if you have mangy flatmates.

In first year between 6 girls we had 2 toilets and 1 shower/sinkroom, three of my flatmates didn't understand the concept of cleaning up after themselves so the shower room was constantly covered in hair, some of them used the shower for sex sessions with their boyfs (more mess yuck) then one of them chose to leave a dildo chair in there (after an ann summers party) only for the dildo to go missing a few days later:lolwut:

So yeah ensuite definately worth it...no dealing with other peoples mess.
    Yeah, I dont wanna take the risk of living withing someone dirty and having to share their mess, it makes me feel funny yeah I'm definitely going to I think.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in school and I can't live without my own bathroom! I would pay for an ensuite no matter how expensive - I'd sleep in the bath if I had to!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. But when I go to uni, I'm going to do everything within my power to get an ensuite!

ReputationRep:
    I know that when I go to university, I'd rather spend the money on clothes and deal with the inconvenience..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millmill)
    Who at uni pays extra for an ensuite room?

Is it worth paying an extra £20 a week when I go to uni for an ensuite?

The thought of sharing a bathroom with someone dirty makes me feel a little ill. And I don't like hairs.
    But £20 a week is like £200 a term. More. That's insane. I would have to be Howard Hughes before I would pay that kind of money for cleanliness...

Actually, you'll have to deal with living with other people (who might not be as clean as you) at some point. If not this year, then next year when you move out. I thought I'd hate not having ensuite, but it's hardly an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think not having one would bother me. But i got one anyway. THANK GOD!

Having stayed over friends at this uni and other unis that are sharing...i have to say, its really pot luck what happens. I visited friends in Manchester for a few days, and it was horriable! The people were just...ewww. And my friend said people had worked out a way of unlocking the shower doors...i was a bit worried by this!

So yeah. Ensuite all the way

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had ensuite. I applied for the ensuite accomodation and didn't get in, so I'm in standard, and our bathroom is disgusting

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, definitely worth it. Nobody to piss in your bath. Nobody to leave hair all over the damn floor. 24/7 access. You can leave your stuff there and it won't disapper. More privacy when you've got a guest. You can walk around naked after a shower.

The last one being the most important.

ReputationRep:
    I have an en suite and must say it's very handy, especially if you're drunk and need to suddenly vomit :P But others I know who havent got an en suite have said they were suprised at how much they didn't mind it, it's not that gross and they've never had to wait for a shower.

ReputationRep:
    Ive had an ensuite for the last 2 years and wouldnt consider having any different whilst living in halls (providing I could afford it obviously)

In my first year at uni I lived with some pretty scummy people, they left the kitchen in an absolute state and had little regard for anyone else living in the flat. I hate to think what state the bathroom would have been in if it had been shared.

That said, if you live with clean, nice people sharing probably wont be too much of an issue, but it is entirely dependant on who you live with. Its pot luck.

Personally I love my ensuite. I love the fact that I can go and spend ages in the shower if I want, and never have to worry about anyone else needing to get in there, or me having to wait for someone else to get out. Im not actually sure how much my ensuite costs me extra per week compared to shared, but its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Having spent weekends through almost the last 3 years staying at my bf's uni accommodation, I'd never even consider shared bathroom facilities if ensuites were on offer. I have an ensuite room this year and I love it, I have applied again for ensuite next year and am VERY happy to pay the extra for the luxury of it.

ReputationRep:
    you should find out whether it's going to be cleaned by cleaners or not... my firnds who are in halls don't have their own bathrooms but it's cleaned by the cleaners who also do their rooms, so it's ok really, and there are several toilets and showers so there isn't a problem with it being dirty or occupied really either. I'd NEVER share a bathroom in a flat with people I'd just met though, no. Ew. If you want to live in a flat that doesn't have cleaners, then get your own bathroom, its deffo worth it. You'll find people don't really want to clean the kitchen a lot, so when it comes down to yucky stuff like the toilet...

ReputationRep:
    If you're really particular about other people's mess then why not? You can have a shower for ages and not feel like you were holding people up, and not faff about going down the corridor for the toilet or in a towel. And you can just go on the ensuite toilet with the door open I mean im not ensuite and its alright really but you might get disgusting people next year.

ReputationRep:
    I have a half en-suite. I share a bathroom with only one other girl.

I'd pay extra for en-suite, though - it's nice to have it to yourself and more space for products and things around your sink!

For first term, first year - not only was I in shared bathroom accommodation but it was JUST like pub toilets... it was just cubicles - awful if someone had a bug.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.