Help with A2 Business - Oligopoly v Monopolistic Watch

Edessa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Help pleeeeeeease !!

I am trying to complete my coursework and I am stuck on this part. I have to describe whether Starbucks is an Oligopoly or a monopoly . I think that it is an oligopoly in the U.k but a Monopoly in the U.S. Is this right ?

Also I have written that Next and M&S are monopolistic? is this right or have I got mixed up again?

Finally even though google is my friend I cannot find any statistics on the U.K clothing market with regards to who has market share. Could anybody please point me in the right direction ?

Any help would be most appreciated.
MeAndBubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Restaurants and the like are grouped into monopolistic competition usually. Strikes me monopoly isn't the one.
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
definitely not a monopoly, as that suggests one player, high barriers, whereas I could set up a cafe quite easily. Monopolistic competition, with some major players (in the UK being Starbucks, costa, Caffe Nero, coffee republic, then smaller chains like gloria jeans' etc, and then plenty of independents)

Also, the UK clothing market is a tough one, as it can be segmented in many different ways. Your best bet would be to find details on the biggest firms in a market, then take their financial figures and put them head to head.
Edessa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks for all the reponses guys. With Google's and your help I think i've cracked it:

Oligopoly - Starbucks
Monopolistic- Next, M&S,

Oh well - I will find out for sure on Friday.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?