Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Is anyone of you studying or know someone who is studying Town Planning? Is it a program worth the studies? What about the job market for town planning?

Thank you very much, Jay :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Moved to architecture and the built environment forum

Prospects are very good indeed. There's a shortage of skilled planners out there with councils up and down the country in desperate need of them. There's always work in the private sector, too. We may not see quite the same building, development and regeneration work we've seen during the boom years of 1996-2007 but planners are always needed.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go into planning, make sure the program is RTPI accredited - the public sector pretty much requires this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nonsmoking)
    If you want to go into planning, make sure the program is RTPI accredited - the public sector pretty much requires this.
    Yes

http://www.rtpi.org.uk/item/178/23/5/3

Cardiff are known as strong in the area, Sheffield and possibly Newcastle too. But, at the end of the day, providing the degree's RTPI accredited then it'll be set to a decent, professional stadard and cover all the areas you need. Any accredited degree offers good prospects.

ReputationRep:
    You can also do a degree in a related subject, say geography, and then do an RTPI accredited masters degree if you'd prefer.
    Many RTPI accredited courses are also RICS accredited which also increases your job opportunities and doesn't tie you just to planning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennay)
    You can also do a degree in a related subject, say geography, and then do an RTPI accredited masters degree if you'd prefer.
    Many RTPI accredited courses are also RICS accredited which also increases your job opportunities and doesn't tie you just to planning.
    know of any uni's that are doing townplanning joint with geography?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimzbanana)
    know of any uni's that are doing townplanning joint with geography?:confused:
    Undergraduate geography and planning is very common, though rarely RTPI accredited.

just off the top of my head you can do geography and planning at cardiff, Newcastle, Birmingham and Aberdeen and I'm guessing there are many more as it is a fairly popular course.
    Search it on the Ucas website

ReputationRep:
    Undergraduate geography and planning is very common, though rarely RTPI accredited.

just off the top of my head you can do geography and planning at cardiff, Newcastle, Birmingham and Aberdeen and I'm guessing there are many more as it is a fairly popular course.
    Search it on the Ucas website

everyone keeps telling me that i won't get a job (or it will be difficult to) if i do town planning or geography and planning... is that true?

ReputationRep:
    everyone keeps telling me that i won't get a job (or it will be difficult to) if i do town planning or geography and planning... is that true?
    Theres a ntional shortage of town planners, even in the midst of this recession, and planners will always be needed.
    If you look at graduate employment prospects for planning on uni league table you'll see thy're mainly in the 90s- far higher than many subjects.

who told you it would be hard to find employment?

ReputationRep:
    my dad - he's a structural engineer/geotechnical.. no firm wants to build/plan to build because of the economic climate

ReputationRep:
    Theres a ntional shortage of town planners, even in the midst of this recession, and planners will always be needed.
    If you look at graduate employment prospects for planning on uni league table you'll see thy're mainly in the 90s- far higher than many subjects.

who told you it would be hard to find employment?
    i really wanna do it.. i'm just afraid that there will be little or no job opportunity..

ReputationRep:
    No disrespect but your dad is talking ********.

Its well known that the opposite is true - I know people in planning departments who are desperate for new planners.

ReputationRep:
    my dad - he's a structural engineer/geotechnical.. no firm wants to build/plan to build because of the economic climate
    Planning is mainly public sector work, and with problems in the housing market people are more likely to build extensions etc, which requires planning application, and therefore planners.
    Public investment continues through recession, and also, buyt the time you graduate the economy is likely to have recovered.

Just go on planningresource- there are lots of vacancies listed, and if you do work experience in a planning departmenrt you'll find that around half of all planners are between 5 and 10 years from retirement.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, not sure where to post this, but anyway I am looking for some advice/ideas please.
    I am a mature student in my second year of Environmental Health, but I am now undecided if I want to be a Environmental Health Officer or a Town Planner!!
    I am thinking of completing the EH degree and then maybe doing a Masters in Town Planning.
    I would be grateful the read any of your views which will hopefully help me decided.
    Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.