AS Sociology - Possible to study it during 5 months and get a B? Watch

Sam4God
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
I'm basically in quite a difficult situation.
I am currently doing A-levels in Chemistry, Biology and French (doing all 3 in just one year). I have applied for medicine and have only just realised I need a 4th additional AS grade at grade B or above.
Do you think it's possible to take AS sociology and study it alongside all my other more important A2 subjects and still get a B in it?
J4GGYBoss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
jesus!, thats alot but not impossible get your head down after this thread your doing a full a level or just A2 modules?! and sociology is a piece of pie.
shel_b_ann
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, definitely! Sociology is easy... if you have good essay writing skills and just remember loads of names and studies it is very easy to do well!
bombproof_girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you have a lot to learn in sociology to be fair. so many names.
Sam4God
Rep:
?
(Original post by J4GGYBoss)
jesus!, thats alot but not impossible get your head down after this thread your doing a full a level or just A2 modules?! and sociology is a piece of pie.
I'm doing both AS and A2 modules for Chem, Bio, and French. I've already taken the AS exams for them.
the reason i'm in this horrible situation is because this is my first year in England and I've already got a standard American diploma from a school in Austria, vienna (as random as it sounds... haha).
I don't mind revising loads and loads... i just don't want it to affect my 3 important subjects as I'm predicted AAA for them.
J4GGYBoss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeh youll be ok, but saying that learn sociology make posters etc youll be fine its prity easy and just give your opinion. how old are you by the way?
Sam4God
Rep:
?
(Original post by shel_b_ann)
Yes, definitely! Sociology is easy... if you have good essay writing skills and just remember loads of names and studies it is very easy to do well!
Thanks, yeahh i'm pretty good at writing essays.
What are the papers like? and the coursework for it (if there is one)?
Sam4God
Rep:
?
(Original post by J4GGYBoss)
yeh youll be ok, but saying that learn sociology make posters etc youll be fine its prity easy and just give your opinion. how old are you by the way?
alright, thanks.
i'm 18.
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did a one year A level in sociology, with no revision, crap coursework and still got a C. It's more than possible.
Jazmine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Definitely, a lot of Sociology is based on common knowledge, I think. I didn't revise for an A2 Sociology paper on Religion and got an A. =) -- I'm not usually a high achiever, by the way.
ross_003
Report 9 years ago
I think you could do it!
Just got to get a lot of questions done in the new exam, and only given an hour to do it.
Most people end up rushing.
lax01274
Report 9 years ago
Hey, to be honest with you, i chose to do the subject because friends told me it was easy, and i needed an extra A Level at grade A so i could apply for medicine too, i personally hated the subject so couldnt revise for the modules until the day before. What i did was get as much resources and notes for the modules and spend like 12 hours on each module compiling important stuff relevant to the module and making some condensed notes. Believe it or not but i had each module on 4 sides on average. I would wait for the day before and just memorise the condensed notes. You also need the technique to write good essays so if your already good at that then you will have no problem, as I never practiced my technique or did any past papers because I was very confident with my essay writing skills. I recieved an A in every module for sociology and some were full UMS. I would take my advice if you have the essay writing skills and can work under pressure. Many people at my school did the same, everybody got a B or higher at AS and A2.
Hope the advice helps.
Inseriousity.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got scolded by my teacher for saying that sociology was common sense with keywords and names to get you better grades (maybe I'm wrong but just my opinion - don't lecture me please!). I think it's possible to achieve it with 5 months study, you sound like you have ambition for high things so you're not likely to slack off for 4 months, so you should go for it

Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1439)
79.72%
Leave (366)
20.28%

Watched Threads