Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    On what car? Out of interest is the car yours? Insurance companies can be a bit funny when one of the named drivers actually uses the car most. Try shopping around a bit. I found direct line to be rather expensive when I was looking for a quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Insurance companies can be a bit funny when one of the named drivers actually uses the car most.
    Not only that, the insurance may be invalid and you won't find out until you try to claim. It is a bad idea to go down that route. OP, try Tesco with you as the sole or main driver.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend having a parent as a named driver even if they will likely only drive it once a year. It can knock some off the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Who is driving the car most?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough then.

ReputationRep:
    You can't combine your NCB and his NCB, so only his NCB matters.

ReputationRep:
    Some companies will cover you 3rd party only on any vehicle you are licensed and allowed by the owner to drive, if you have a policy on a separate vehicle with them. eg. I am covered fully comp by Tesco on my car, but the policy also gives me 3rd party only cover on any other car.

As for a 2.3L Ford, you may find the insurance to be rather expensive, assuming anyone will cover you at all. Of course, if your policy on the Corsa includes a bit as I mentioned above, you will be allowed to drive it.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked my Tesco policy book, and with comprehensive insurance they will give you 3rd party only cover on any vehicle, provided that:
    -You are licensed to drive it.
    -You have the owners permission to drive it.
    -There is no other insurance that covers you to drive it.

ReputationRep:
    This all sounds very dodgy now. If your dad has his own car, surely you are the main driver of your car, despite being at uni most of the time?

With DirectLine NCB works like this: Each MAIN driver picks up 1 years NCB on each vehicle insured, and named drivers pick up Named driver NCB.

So you won't have any 'real' NCB if he was the main driver this last 12 months. You will have 1 years 'named driver' NCB, but that wont transfer to policies with other companies. Basically, you have no NCB. And if he has 2 cars (both as named driver) he'll be able to use his 2nd set of NCB (1 year presumably?) on the 2nd car. But it's his, not yours.

It also sounds like you're fronting the insurance. I'd consider what you're doing very carefully before doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    What does that mean?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7052569.stm

ReputationRep:
    How am i fronting?

There's 2 cars, A Ford and a Corsa, my dad bought both cars,

- He is the only driver on the Ford
    - I might be the main driver on the Corsa though most likely i'll be the 2nd driver as it's cheaper.
    If you drive the corsa more miles then your dad does, by definition you are the main driver.

ReputationRep:
    Dad drives it more than me, so i guess basically i shouldn't be the main driver and earn NCB when i don't drive as much as my dad does. And this is where i'm fronting? How will the insurance company know though?
    AFAIK, because insurance companies are arses, the onus is on you to prove you're not the main driver before they pay out. Which may well be difficult as he has another car :/ Nobody would bother unless you claimed though...

ReputationRep:
    I'll talk my dad out of it, I cba with court, don't want to ruin my repetation, I'm at uni so.. obviously don't want any hassle.
    Honestly, the article may have been a BIT dramatised regarding court etc. I imagine a conviction would be fairly difficult, but then I'm not sure entirely. I would recommend though if you can afford it, that you do try to insure it in your own name (with a very low number of miles to keep the price down). That way you DO build up your NCB etc so you can drive more affordably in the future.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.