The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bit late...
Reply 2
And yes, they are a bit different.
As long as they are both BPS acredited, it shouldn't matter.
As implied, BA suggests more 'arts' so probably more essays whilst BSc suggests more 'scientific' aspects, so I would expect more labs/experiments?

But at the end of the day you still get a degree anyway so it doesn't really matter
BettySwollocks
Also, if you want to join the BPS and become a chartered psychologist, you need the BSc one.

Not always. Many BAs are BPS acredited, thus allowing for GBR.
Reply 6
BA/BSc don't matter as such, it's more about your post grad
Diaz89
BA/BSc don't matter as such, it's more about your post grad

Otherway round, tbh.
Reply 8
GodspeedGehenna
Otherway round, tbh.

why?
Diaz89
why?

Because getting into postgrad is the mind-numbingly, hair-tearingly, soul-destroyingly competitive part.
Reply 10
GodspeedGehenna
Because getting postgrad is the mind-numbingly, hair-tairingly, soul-destroyingly competitive part.

but isn't a BA degree from a British University a good thing? why is that students from foreign universities that are not that prestigious get into Oxford/Cambridge?
Reply 11
What university is it at? Most of the time it's just a silly title - you can (or at least used to be able to) choose whether you ended up with a BA or a BSc at Exeter, but just got taught the same stuff.
Diaz89
but isn't a BA degree from a British University a good thing?

Depends.

Diaz89
why is that students from foreign universities that are not that prestigious get into Oxford/Cambridge?

Depends.

The general idea is that undergraduate Psychology is relatively easy to get in to. Postgrad, however, is where the candidate discrimination begins. Once you have obtained say a doctorate, you won't particularly have employers turning their noses up at your graduating university.
Reply 13
Melana
What university is it at? Most of the time it's just a silly title - you can (or at least used to be able to) choose whether you ended up with a BA or a BSc at Exeter, but just got taught the same stuff.

Bangor University. I originally applied to do combined psychology and sociology at all my choices then decided I wanted to apply for pure psychology at Bangor so i substituted one of my other uni choices for it.
I'm doing an MA (4 year) in Aberdeen and the BSc course is no different, it's just the courses you take in first year with psychology.
In your case, you're doing Psychology WITH Sociology which means you have to do an Arts. If you wanted to do Psychology with Biology (for example) then you would have to do a Science.

I believe this is how it works.

And my MA is BPS accredited, it's just getting into postgrad...
Reply 15
smellslikemarmite
I'm doing an MA (4 year) in Aberdeen and the BSc course is no different, it's just the courses you take in first year with psychology.
In your case, you're doing Psychology WITH Sociology which means you have to do an Arts. If you wanted to do Psychology with Biology (for example) then you would have to do a Science.

Yeah it's the same for Glasgow.
smellslikemarmite

I'm doing Psychology with Sociology and all my offers except one were BSc and BPS Accredited. However, Psychology is my major with Sociology as the minor, so it depends on course content
.X.alysha.X.
I'm doing Psychology with Sociology and all my offers except one were BSc and BPS Accredited. However, Psychology is my major with Sociology as the minor, so it depends on course content

My bad, it's probably different for Scotland.
smellslikemarmite
My bad, it's probably different for Scotland.

It is slightly different for Scotland. I'm also doing MA(hons.) Psychology at Aberdeen, and it's BPS accredited.

Scotland's a bit different to England and Wales because you do a four year undergrad. course, so have room for other subjects in years one and two (arty ones for an MA, science-y ones for a BSc), the psychology content of the courses is exactly the same.

OP - if you want to be a psychologist/do psychology post-grad, as long as your course is BPS accredited, you should be fine :smile:
Me Myself I
It is slightly different for Scotland. I'm also doing MA(hons.) Psychology at Aberdeen, and it's BPS accredited.

Scotland's a bit different to England and Wales because you do a four year undergrad. course, so have room for other subjects in years one and two (arty ones for an MA, science-y ones for a BSc), the psychology content of the courses is exactly the same.

OP - if you want to be a psychologist/do psychology post-grad, as long as your course is BPS accredited, you should be fine :smile:

Question: If you want to do an MSc postgrad can you still do it, as the MA and the BSc are the same course?
I emailed some of the course co-ordinators that I'm interested in and none of them actually answered my question, lol.

Latest