Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhhhh panic!
    So, i had a week booked at a LA vets but they just rang and said they were moving. Now, i can't find any in travelling distance from me. The one i did get in touch with is the one used by my farm, he also gave me two other contacts he knew which, i have just rang and neither of them did work experience. I've scoured the internet for them and they yellow pages and just can't find any. I have 4 weeks at SA vets and 1 week at an equine vet, is this seriously going to let me down when applyin to univeristy?
    Help please.
    X

ReputationRep:
    maybe you could stay at a relatives and go to one near them?

ReputationRep:
    If you can get up to Lincolnshire and stay around Lincoln area, I know a great one that will take you on for as long as you want.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could compromise with a mixed practice? I worked at a mixed practice for two years and so i got to see both small and large animal stuff all at the same place.

Do you have any other large animal work (not counting your farm)? Dairy/lambing would be just as good I would think. Also if you get work experience on another farm there is a good chance the vet will visit while you are there (when I did dairy the vet came weekly to do ultrasound scans and give fertilty advice)...good way of getting contacts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca J)
    Ahhhhhhhhh panic!
    So, i had a week booked at a LA vets but they just rang and said they were moving. Now, i can't find any in travelling distance from me. The one i did get in touch with is the one used by my farm, he also gave me two other contacts he knew which, i have just rang and neither of them did work experience. I've scoured the internet for them and they yellow pages and just can't find any. I have 4 weeks at SA vets and 1 week at an equine vet, is this seriously going to let me down when applyin to univeristy?
    Help please.
    X
    What do you mean 'travelling distance'? I've have regularly commuted 1.5 hours by car, each way, for a couple of my placements. Sometimes finding somewhere nice, close and convenient isn't always possible, which means you have to go the extra mile, literally.

Can you not find a practice near one of your friends/relatives?

ReputationRep:
    It is hard/impossible for anyone on here to say if not having any large animal vet work will disadvantage your application. There will always be people who appear to have "everything" and get a place, and others who get a place and don't seem to have much experience. But personally I wouldn't want to risk not having experience in most of the main areas. As well as it being enjoyable to get experience in lots of areas

Like others have said, there are ways around the distance. Without wanting to sound critical of you, lots of applicants end up travelling distances to get to placements, and contacting places again and again to get them to take them. I know I struggled to get large animal work, I had a contact in cornwall for some people I knew with a farm and spent a fair bit of time there - and virtually all my large animal work was done there. It meant about a 6/7 hour drive each way for me every time I spent a week on work experience there. I'm not saying you have to go that far, but you are pretty likely to end up having to travel to get to some of your places.

The places that have said they don't take work experience students - contact them again and see why. I found some places have had bad experiences of disinterested year 10 students being a pain in the backside and say they don't take any work experience students. When I explained that I am actually 17/18 or whatever, at college, applying for vet sci. Have already worked at several vet practices and so on they realise that you actually are serious about it.

Basically, I would keep perservering with it. There are places that will take you, it is just a case of finding them. And saying that they aren't any near you ends up sounding like a bit of a weak excuse IMHO. Please don't think I am being really critical, I know it can get disheartening when places turn you down, but you just need to keep at it.

ReputationRep:
    can I just say there are some ligitimate reasons why some practices wont take W/E for example if the practice employs a high proportion of new grads or overseas vets, or if there has been an ifectious disease in the practice/client base recently and so wont take W/E for bio security reasons, and vice versa. Definitly be persistant but if you've fully explained yourself and they still aren't biting them dont keep nagging.

ReputationRep:
    ^^yeh, sorry. I don't mean keep pestering them if they have given you a good reason etc I know I had times when I rang/wrote to a practice and they either wouldn't get back to me, or, would just say "oh, sorry, we don't take work experience" and that would be it. I found in many of those cases it was, like I said in my other post, more a case of bad experiences putting them off. Or sometimes just catching the wrong person on the wrong day. In those kind of situations it can be useful to contact them again, maybe offer to go and see them to have a chat etc. But, obviously, if they explain a reason like Bex has said, then there is no point pestering.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, one of the practices where i worked had an awful w/e who litarally sat in the waiting room and drank coffee for two days before they asked her to leave, after that Tim vowed never to have work experience students again!

ReputationRep:
    :yep: and unfortunatly, like with a lot of things I suppose, it can be the minority of people like that who make thing things difficult for the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    on a side note, :o:
    Even at vet school people find it hard to find LA places for clinEMS! It really is the case of making an effort. I've managed to find friends and family to stay with for this summer.. and I'm going to have to buy a car and basically travel around England for 9 weeks..!

Oh and just a thought: make sure you stay in touch with the practices you went to before vet school..(send them cards, bake them cakes!) If you get on well with them and they like you, it is a godsend to have a place you know for clinEMS! That way they might also keep weeks free for you if you let them know in advance! They'll also probably let you do more sooner if they know what you're capable of!
    Just makes the whole process of finding practices that much easier and less stressful!

ReputationRep:
    alot of people find it hard to get work experience with a large animal vet, so many people wont have that experience either
    as long as you have done some farm work [lambing, dairy farm etc] and have had experience with large animals in some way youl be fine
    you've got wex with an equine vet aswel which is a good because they are also hard to find !
    well around where i live anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    i only have 3 weeks SA vets and about 1 week exotics vet and i have 2 interviews

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice, hopefully i can drive by the summer, so the few place iv found within an hour and a half with hopefully come to something.
    i've also spoken to a vets about 4 hours away near where family live, they asked me to ring back tomorrow on the ladies direct line who organises work experience.
    sooo fingers crossed
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annaconda)
    i only have 3 weeks SA vets and about 1 week exotics vet and i have 2 interviews
    Ooh, where is the exotics vet?

Edit: OP, I had w.e. in a town north of York and stayed with a couple that lives in a house that used to be a hotel (they said it used to be a brothel lol) for £80/week if you're interested. A vet that works at that practice rents out one of the rooms, and the practice is literally 5 mins walking distance away. The practice operates on a first come first serve basis regarding w.e. =)

ReputationRep:
    Update, the vets (mixed) in kendal (the one near friends) only have a week free in september, which is one of the two weeks I have booked at a small animal practice near me. I booked it provisionally. Do you think its best then to see if its okay to go to the SA vets just for the one week and then potentially have 3 weeks SA, 1 week mixed, 1 week equine. I've also sent letters out to the ones within an hour drive for summertime, so if i get one week with a large animal vet then this will also be a plus. So ye, do you think its best to keep the week with the mixed practice as its more variation, especially if i can't get a week with a LA vet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebecca J)
    Update, the vets (mixed) in kendal (the one near friends) only have a week free in september, which is one of the two weeks I have booked at a small animal practice near me. I booked it provisionally. Do you think its best then to see if its okay to go to the SA vets just for the one week and then potentially have 3 weeks SA, 1 week mixed, 1 week equine. I've also sent letters out to the ones within an hour drive for summertime, so if i get one week with a large animal vet then this will also be a plus. So ye, do you think its best to keep the week with the mixed practice as its more variation, especially if i can't get a week with a LA vet.
    Get as much varied work as possible. Concentrate less on the SA practice work, most of the places excluding Liverpool are only looking for 1-2 weeks max, and try to get more, more varied work.

Phone up the SA practice, apologise and say that you double booked and ask if it would be possible to change the dates slightly. You've got nothing to lose by trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dissey)
    Ooh, where is the exotics vet?

Edit: OP, I had w.e. in a town north of York and stayed with a couple that lives in a house that used to be a hotel (they said it used to be a brothel lol) for £80/week if you're interested. A vet that works at that practice rents out one of the rooms, and the practice is literally 5 mins walking distance away. The practice operates on a first come first serve basis regarding w.e. =)
    richmond - ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    If you can get up to Lincolnshire and stay around Lincoln area, I know a great one that will take you on for as long as you want.
    I know its been ages since this was posted on but I live in Lincolnshire and I am really struggling to find a large animal vet place for experience, do you still know the place? Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I found it difficult to find large animal vets too before vet school and at the time I couldn't drive so was restricted how far I could go public transport. In the end I had lots of small vets and 1 week equine vets 1 day farm vet (who was visiting a farm I was working on) and still got a place at Liverpool who is most stringent for work exp. I would, however, recommend getting as varied work exp. as possible. B&Bs/staying at relatives might be another solution if you can find one elsewhere in the country. Good luck!

Also the RCVS "find a vet" page is the best place to look for vet practises by post code

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 19, 2014

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.