Turn on thread page Beta

RAF Catering positions watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a 3rd year undergraduate student studying BA ASSSport at Durham University. I am interested in applying for the RAF Catering position but am unsure of whether there is a requirement for the candidates to have a catering specific degree. The website does not seem to be too clear on this matter.

I have 10 A* GCSE's, 3 a-levels, and hopefully a 2:1 degree soon, despite having limited experience of catering I have a passion for food and have taken my level 2 food hygiene and preperation certificate.

Does anyone have any further knowledge of this process and could advise me if it is worth me applying for this role? or will my lack of catering experience significantly decrease my chances of being accepted onto the position?

Thanks for any help,

PR.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    All current RAF Catering Officers have previous experience / qualifications within catering - be it management, previous service or qualifications (HND / Degree). The Catering Branch used to be part of the Admin side of things but recently came over to Supply and became the Logistics Branch. Within this new structure there is no definite progression yet worked out, but a once narrow field for Caterers is certainly much wider, with more varied but related opportunities for their career.

The Catering Officers I've worked with have had related degrees, related HNDs, related experience up to management of facilities or previous Service (20 yrs RAF, 20 yrs Army etc). Their job is very rarely hands-on and might be less food-related than you seek. I can seek advice from colleagues if you have any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the "Officer Careers" booklet sitting in front of me, as supplied by the AFCO at 2pm this afternoon:

Catering Officer - Academic qualifications: A catering-related degree, HND / SCOTVEC plus 5 GCSEs / SCEs (grade C/3) including English language and maths.

ReputationRep:
    You will have to have related qualifications, like you can't apply for Engineering Officer if you don't have a Engineering Degree.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by newboyintown)
    You will have to have related qualifications, like you can't apply for Engineering Officer if you don't have a Engineering Degree.
    ... unless you have a maths or physics one, or experience as an NCO in an engineering trade.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Wzz)
    or experience as an NCO in an engineering trade.
    and then top that up with relevant qualifications like they study on the courses at Cosford.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.