Turn on thread page Beta

Talking to strangers at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In order to make more friends, is it a good idea to talk to random people? eg in the IT room, library etc.
    I mean, we could have so much in common, and go out clubbing together or something?
    My only worry is that it will be seen as weird....

(Original post by bodmer123)
    In order to make more friends, is it a good idea to talk to random people? eg in the IT room, library etc.
    Troll.

ReputationRep:
    i reckon that's cool, i mean that's what uni's about really! i'd advise you to pick your place though - some people get freaked out by random people talking to them in unexpected places so maybe keep it to classes and stuff?

ReputationRep:
    As long as you can read the "I wish this guy would piss off" signals you should be fine. Does your SU have a bar? That would be a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    I think its okay, as said as long as you dont disturb as anyone to the point where they have to move just to get away from you, you should be fine. I dont mind random people talking to me.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you don't seem creepy then it's all good! Act natural. I've talked to random people in lecture halls and it's all fine! In fact it's great, keeps things interesting as it allows you to meet lots of different people, even if you don't always keep in contact with them or see them much after the initial meeting.

ReputationRep:
    cool, i'll try it out!

ReputationRep:
    lol. I talk to random people. No one here talks, and the SU bar where I am is always empty. It's like I live in a loner Uni. It's weird.

ReputationRep:
    If it was some hottttt girl, would you randomly approach her in a library while shes hard at work?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it in a library, that's a way to get your arse kicked.

ReputationRep:
    I'm too scared, nervous, shy and paranoid to approach strangers at uni, its mostly girls at mine so i get worried they'll either think i'm trying to come on to them or I'm too ugly to talk to or just weird.

ReputationRep:
    keep talking, and if your a male dont give any "hero" or wrong signals to girls, you should remember there only friends, thats the thing some males forget and become obsessive, which i find kinda dumb,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    I wouldn't do it in a library, that's a way to get your arse kicked.
    I have to agree - unless it was a girl trying to get my number or something I really would not like being talked to in the library and I'm sure a few other people would feel the same way. If you want to make friends, sign up for a new society or start going to the gym etc and talk to people there. What's wrong with talking to people in your lectures anyway? You really don't want to talk to complete strangers - have something in common first!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yezi)
    As long as you don't seem creepy then it's all good!
    How does one not seem creepy, i feel as though most of my defining character traits make me come across as creepy.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.