Turn on thread page Beta

Help me! New car! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so i got an interest free loan from my mum lol + a bit of money from my part time job and my limit is 8,500. So far the only car i like is the new honda civic type S.. Any opnions? Im having real trouble locating one though! All of them are bloody diesels and 5 doors! Im 18 and bin driving for exactly a year so insurance wise i need something below group 13. Something with a bit of umph and looks...

Also any other places to buy other then: pistonheads, ebay and autotrader?

ReputationRep:
    budget? Fabia vRS is group 9 btw, and is what I would choose, but depends on your taste.

eta: sorry, I'm a tool, and didn't read the post fully, just scanned and didn't see a £sign :p:

ReputationRep:
    renault megane sport.. BMW 116i... MINI cooperS (john works body kit= WOWWW)...

ReputationRep:
    A clio =] my fave <3

ReputationRep:
    he said 8.5k

I'd scrap the plan of spending all your cash and a loan on a car and get a banger to run around in (even if you just spend 4k it will get you a good car)

Have you driven a type S before? How does it differ from the regular civic?

ReputationRep:
    I can find 1 or 2 through dealer stock, but £1k over budget, so would be tightish after haggling. even then we are talking very early models.

ReputationRep:
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...icleRegLetter=

that?

ReputationRep:
    £8,500 should get you one of the new Fiat 500s

How about a new style VW Golf?

Toyota Yaris. Unsure about whether or not you can get a used one for that price though. I have a Yaris (mum bought it for me for my 18th so it's only been around since October 08) and it's amazing. I'm in love with it.

If you just want a small car, a Clio should be well within budget. Or even a Peugeot 206/207 (I think).

ReputationRep:
    I have the EP2 civic... the one before the latest one now, is quite gd and if i wanted to save the money i would keep it but i dont, i want a car =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk...icleRegLetter=

that?
    Cat D!!!! lol that wouldnt be wise i dont think. So far i have found a nice 07 model in black! and the guy is asking 9200, so now im going to see HOW low he goes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    budget? Fabia vRS is group 9 btw, and is what I would choose, but depends on your taste.

eta: sorry, I'm a tool, and didn't read the post fully, just scanned and didn't see a £sign :p:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Not a fan of Skoda though

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this always makes me laugh. Person looking for a sporty hatch and so far the recommendations are a yaris and a fiat 500.

at 9200 you should be able to get it down to 8500 at a push. Say that's all you have and can't go any higher at all and it might be possible. Right now it's a buyers market, the only problem you might have is offloading your current car unless you already have a buyer for it.

Unfortunately being 18 insurance quotes will be quite high because your car has sport written allover it, are the quotes reasonable on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vj69)
    Cat D!!!! lol that wouldnt be wise i dont think. So far i have found a nice 07 model in black! and the guy is asking 9200, so now im going to see HOW low he goes...
    Just read that ad and I love the way that 'cat d' is subtly written very near the end :p:

Is the quoted money literally just for the car or including insurance, tax, mot, servicing etc?

To be honest, I think you'd be able to get a safety concious slightly sporty hatchback for a couple of thousand

Regarding the Skoda comment, may I ask why? Its all VW these days, not what it used to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Sorry this always makes me laugh. Person looking for a sporty hatch and so far the recommendations are a yaris and a fiat 500.

at 9200 you should be able to get it down to 8500 at a push. Say that's all you have and can't go any higher at all and it might be possible. Right now it's a buyers market, the only problem you might have is offloading your current car unless you already have a buyer for it.

Unfortunately being 18 insurance quotes will be quite high because your car has sport written allover it, are the quotes reasonable on it?
    Yeah i felt bad just saying no to the yaris and fiat 500 cos those people probably own them! Yeah i emailed the guy and he said he cant go any lower, but if he doesnt get a sale he will email me. I think i need to find an 06... Thats for just the car, not anything else. Actually insurance is really good, the car will be registered as my dads. Him as first driver, me at second and with some fiddling about i can get it as low 700-800! Its group 9, Hondas are generally very good for insurance! My current Ep2 was only 400 to renew with my sister as the first driver and shes only 21, and my car is faster then all my mates clios and what not lol.

Anyone looking to renew insurance or buy???!! PM me and i can save you 30 odd quid, from 99% of places....

ReputationRep:
    £30 is nothing when you can get £60-70 from quidco :P

Also I'm a bit concerned about you listing yourself as a named driver, is it actually going to be your dads car/your dad driving it more than you? Insurance companies frown upon this practice if it is going to be your car and can refuse to pay out should you have an accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Note that I don't own any of these cars so feel free to diss.)

- Audi A3. Obvious first choice; with the 1.9/2.0 Tdi, you'll be rocking after a quick remap. Economical too, and afaik insurance is ok.
    - Pug 206 1.6 16V. 110 horses, rather nippy. Only a group 8 and under 9 secs for 0-60. Good economy too. Problem being its a pug, and will probably break down. (I had one and really enjoyed it)
    - Hyundai Coupe - Not a hatchback, not as fast as it looks, but solid, and you'll get one with warranty and a nice spec for your budget. Also looks fantastic
    - Honda Civic - Nice cars these. Drove a SE for a day and it did ok.

ReputationRep:
    The Vindis garages near where I live, have a nice selection of used cars. There was a VW Golf TDi (2006) for around £8,000 which has 5 doors and the mileage was low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    he said 8.5k

I'd scrap the plan of spending all your cash and a loan on a car and get a banger to run around in (even if you just spend 4k it will get you a good car)

Have you driven a type S before? How does it differ from the regular civic?
    This

Save your cash for when you need it. You're 18 and dont need to be driving around in an 8 grand car. For 2 to 3 thousand you can get a really nice car, a few years old, which wont depreciate as much and wont cost you a fortune on insurance if you dont get something stupidly big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vj69)
    Right so i got an interest free loan from my mum lol + a bit of money from my part time job and my limit is 8,500. So far the only car i like is the new honda civic type S..
    AFAIK the S type is only available in diesel, and the R type is the petrol model.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.