Turn on thread page Beta

Lying; what does it actually achieve? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does lying about something actually achieve anything?
    Because in the end, you're actually lying more about one thing. Consequently, you're lying about yourself. For example, people may lie just to spice things up, but doesn't that just inevitably make you a compulsive liar? And when you start lying, how do you stop?
    I know someone who is a compulsive liar; you can spot it a mile away.
    But does lying actually achieve anything?
    That is the question I put forward to all of you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicky_innit)
    I know someone who is a compulsive liar; you can spot it a mile away.
    S/He needs to work on their game. I hate amateurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3105)
    S/He needs to work on their game. I hate amateurs.
    I've known them for quite a while, so I can actually tell by their face when they're lying! The only problem is, it's hard now to see the truth xD

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be necessary to avoid hurting other people's feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    Sometimes it can be necessary to avoid hurting other people's feelings.
    But when the lie is found out, doesn't it hurt more?
    It's really a form of repression, but when the person finds out that someone has lied to them, doesn't that destroy any trust that was built?

ReputationRep:
    But when the lie is found out, doesn't it hurt more?
    It's really a form of repression, but when the person finds out that someone has lied to them, doesn't that destroy any trust that was built?
    Well, I am a very honest person and only ever 'white lie' when it is something of no real importance and also purely subjective, that way there is no way they could ever find out if I thought differently.

Most of the time I just say it how I see it though, which does hurt some peoples feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH123)
    Well, I am a very honest person and only ever 'white lie' when it is something of no real importance and also purely subjective, that way there is no way they could ever find out if I thought differently.

Most of the time I just say it how I see it though, which does hurt some peoples feelings.
    To be honest, I think it's better to do that and hurt someone in a small way by being honest, than lie and them to find out and hurt them in a much bigger way. Honesty is the best policy

I think white lies are acceptable, but when they're used alll the time they are just a constant lie rather than "just a white lie".
    I like hopw your thinking though

ReputationRep:
    e-respect.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I think it's better to do that and hurt someone in a small way by being honest, than lie and them to find out and hurt them in a much bigger way. Honesty is the best policy

I think white lies are acceptable, but when they're used alll the time they are just a constant lie rather than "just a white lie".
    I like hopw your thinking though

Hello, nick_innit how are you?
    Actually what you've said is true..Honesty is the best policy..
    what does LYING achieve? the answer is nothing other than complicating the issues, or bringing big troubles ... Lying never solves a problem.
    And I can define a liar as a weak person who can't face the truth, and has no courage to tell the truth..
    I don't like lying even if it comes in a matter of joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eng_stu)
    Hello, nick_innit how are you?
    Actually what you've said is true..Honesty is the best policy..
    what does LYING achieve? the answer is nothing other than complicating the issues, or bringing big troubles ... Lying never solves a problem.
    And I can define a liar as a weak person who can't face the truth, and has no courage to tell the truth..
    I don't like lying even if it comes in a matter of joke
    Hear hear!
    I totally agree with your view, it just shows that a person is weak and unable to face up to reality. Honesty is literally the best policy

ReputationRep:
    Sex, money, better prospects etc etc.

The list of achievements that can be obtained from lying is endless.

Edit: I should mention, I do not agree with lying to achieve anything. I'm just answering the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Legacy 1)
    Sex, money, better prospects etc etc.

The list of achievements that can be obtained from lying is endless.

Edit: I should mention, I do not agree with lying to achieve anything. I'm just answering the question.
    But technically, if you build your life on lies, your life IS a lie.
    I know people lie to get a better job or to get an oppourtunity, but does that actually directly affect others?

I'm not talking about lying about your qualifications or who you are, many famous people have built their lives on that one lie they told to get a job, I'm talking about the kind of lies that can affect everyday life i.e. friendships, etc.

ReputationRep:
    But technically, if you build your life on lies, your life IS a lie.
    I know people lie to get a better job or to get an oppourtunity, but does that actually directly affect others?

I'm not talking about lying about your qualifications or who you are, many famous people have built their lives on that one lie they told to get a job, I'm talking about the kind of lies that can affect everyday life i.e. friendships, etc.
    Could you give an example?

ReputationRep:
    Lies are awesome, Its a speciality tbh .. wait thats a lie < so is that aha!

ReputationRep:
    Simple, we lie because sometimes we need to be someone/something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Legacy 1)
    Could you give an example?

Example 1. A friend not telling you something important then lying about it when confronted.
    Example 2. Someone lying about how they feel/don't feel.

Just lies that would hurt someone really :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lying achieves distrust.

Not telling the whole truth also does the same.

:ditto:

ReputationRep:
    A lie grows and grows; once said, they get out of control. They hurt people and make others lose trust in you. Lies catch up with you in the end.

ReputationRep:
    People do annoy me when they like to take it to the extreme in order to get attention or sympathy. This one girl i know does it all the time. Saying all these conditions she apparently has and past things that happened in her childhood. Its easy to catch them out when they change the story of how it happened :p:

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.