what is the best way to get motivated and do your work?? Watch

obrian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
hi. i find it really it really difficult to actually sit there and do my work as i very easily fall asleep are there any tips on how to get motivated also what is the best method of revision?
User192499
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Block internet access, it's the only way to regain both your motivation and your soul.
Schroedinger's Pandora
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I get motivated by waiting until a day before the deadline then crapping myself.
Rei
Badges: 1
Report 9 years ago
For me it's a uni offer..
SuicideCommando
Badges: 14
Report 9 years ago
Gosh, OP, just force yourself! Listen to some music which makes your mind get all active..
And do bit by bit, not the entire thing if you have bad concentration.

Youcandoit. Youcandoit. Youcandoit.
MattRead92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I feel the same a lot of the time!

I find that the following things help;

• Make the most of break times, get fresh air and lots of light
  • Listen to instrumental music, it helps you concentrate. Techno, Electro, even drum and bass can count as instrumental, so don't just assume it as classical music.
  • "Just do" the work, start it, even if you have no idea and you are doing your work completely wrong, it helps you get into the mood to work, you'll fix any wrong work and you'll get into it, eventually
  • Try not to get distracted by your mates, music helps
  • Avoid other distractions, for example don't sit by a window where you could watch something like people playing football outside

suicidal_dream
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i find it helps keeping the work you should be doing beside you... right now i keep having breaks from revision, but my revision notes are right beside me and they keep looking at me, so it makes me feel guilty when im not revising!
Tinny
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Think of how much you are paying for the privilege! Uni is expensive, you shouldn't waste it by not working. At least that one always works for me....
Danielle89
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rei)
For me it's a uni offer..
:stomp:

THIS IS THE UNI THREAD, WE ALREADY HAVE PLACES IN UNI IN THIS FORUM

(apologies, but this is always happening...)
ggonex26
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MattRead92)
I feel the same a lot of the time!

I find that the following things help;

• Make the most of break times, get fresh air and lots of light
  • Listen to instrumental music, it helps you concentrate. Techno, Electro, even drum and bass can count as instrumental, so don't just assume it as classical music.
  • "Just do" the work, start it, even if you have no idea and you are doing your work completely wrong, it helps you get into the mood to work, you'll fix any wrong work and you'll get into it, eventually
  • Try not to get distracted by your mates, music helps
  • Avoid other distractions, for example don't sit by a window where you could watch something like people playing football outside
This is good advice, especially the part about instrumental music. Listening to drum and bass or funky house actually helps me to work. Anything with people singing distracts me. It's the in the zone feeling that a rythm can produce that helps. When i hear singing my mind automatically begins to imitate it mentally, which then results on me being thrown off course.
Alex-R
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ask yourself.
http://www.myride.com/images/vehicle...R8060005_large[1]_(400x300).jpg
Do you want to clean it or drive it?
Rei
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Danielle89)
:stomp:

THIS IS THE UNI THREAD, WE ALREADY HAVE PLACES IN UNI IN THIS FORUM

(apologies, but this is always happening...)
Yeah ok
n1kki
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Try out different revision techniques and find the best method for you personally. I find it easier to break each subject down into little chunks and highlight the most important bits. Then once I've done that I rewrite all those highlighted parts in my own words (writing it out is the only way I remember things!). But like I said, find what works for you by trying different methods.

As for motivation, I set myself goals and try to stick to them! Rewarding yourself when you've met them may keep you motivated.
MattRead92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by George231086)
This is good advice, especially the part about instrumental music. Listening to drum and bass or funky house actually helps me to work. Anything with people singing distracts me. It's the in the zone feeling that a rythm can produce that helps. When i hear singing my mind automatically begins to imitate it mentally, which then results on me being thrown off course.
Yeah, music with vocals completely throws me, I sometimes have even found myself typing lyrics to songs I've been listening to in my work!

Also, a good way to find good music to help you concentrate is to use

www.last.fm - to listen to new music for free

Music that I'm unfamiliar with is less likely to distract me, I don't know if that's the case with everyone. You could say that you'd be listening to it more attentively if you don't know it, but I know that that's not what I do.
Ollie87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i just thought about the career i wanted. realising that working hard for a year now would potentially change my life forever was pretty good motivation.
bishbash72
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EducatingBrogan)
Block internet access, it's the only way to regain both your motivation and your soul.
Do that, I don't allow myself internet access except for guitar tabs and homework until 8PM. After school that gives me at least 4 hours uninterrupted work time.

That, and I have Warwick's University Hall as my background on my laptop. If I don't get the grades, I aint going there. That's my motivation.
PlanetTea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Callum828)
Do that, I don't allow myself internet access except for guitar tabs and homework until 8PM. After school that gives me at least 4 hours uninterrupted work time.

That, and I have Warwick's University Hall as my background on my laptop. If I don't get the grades, I aint going there. That's my motivation.
Hate to tell you this, but it's only 4:55pm your a tad early. That kind of makes your advice the pits.
bishbash72
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PlanetTea)
Hate to tell you this, but it's only 4:55pm your a tad early. That kind of makes your advice the pits.
It's study leave. And I just did my politics exam. No way I'm getting back to work already lol.
FireDeuce
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What I've done this term is written down what I need to do and by when, and then written down the day I will do it. it means that I have about 1 thing to do a day, and it will always be in the back of your mind you have to do it, and so sit down and work.
Jelkin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've tried all sorts of things but I find that the only thing that really works is KNOWING that I am the only thing stopping me from doing work, if I waste time it is MY fault, and all it takes is actually DOING what I've set out to do which isn't physically very difficult. Not wandering off onto TSR or Facebook isn't actually difficult, I just used to have a mentality that said it was.

Willpower.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (146)
27.55%
No (384)
72.45%

Watched Threads