Turn on thread page Beta

My first mini pupillage-a few questions... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I will be going up to Leeds for my first mini pupillage in early February and was wondering what I should be expecting...I was told to arrive early morning, dressed appropriately for court. That was all

What I should be wearing? Does it have to be a full one colour suit or would it be ok to wear grey trousers+black jacket and so on? What are the right colours to be wearing in general? I want to make a good impression and to get this right.

Is there anything I should be taking with me? If so, should I carry my staff in a briefcase or a normal smart handbag would do?

It is a commercial law chambers and this will be my first experience of shadowing a barrister. I have been offered a further two day mini pupillage (unassesed) in Enterprise Chambers in London, but I should be only doing it in late February/March.

Thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would suggest that it should be a suit in dark grey or black.

On my first mini-pupillage I wore a black pencil skirt, patent leather red belt, jaunty red scarf and little red pumps. I thought I looked most fetching and gamine. Seemed that lots of the male barristers also thought I looked fetching and gamine. I certainly didn't look dressed for court, but the barrister I was with was far to kind to say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninon)
    Personally I would suggest that it should be a suit in dark grey or black.

On my first mini-pupillage I wore a black pencil skirt, patent leather red belt, jaunty red scarf and little red pumps. I thought I looked most fetching and gamine. Seemed that lots of the male barristers also thought I looked fetching and gamine. I certainly didn't look dressed for court, but the barrister I was with was far to kind to say so.
    During a recent mini, I accidentally wore a black suit jacket and blue suit trousers throughout the day, having dressed in a state of semi-consciousness (with the hotel room bulb also having burnt out that morning). I better have been charm personified, otherwise I think I'll be remembered as the Incongruence Kid.

ReputationRep:
    Black or grey. Ninon's experience notwithstanding I would leave the red accessories (esp the pumps) at home. Black shoes/boots. A suit is not required if you have a jacket and skirt/trousers, but it's probably easier. Formal blouse fine. Vest top fine if not too low cut and you leave your jacket on. By and large you should save the glimpse of your armpits for the time when you have tenancy.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.