Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay okay, I'm at Uni. of Warwick in my last year studying History. Plan is to get a solid 2.1. My A Levels and GCSEs were more or less straight As. My CV includes at least 5 jobs, one of which was Buckingham Palace/Royal Collection for the past two summers, a job directing advertising and sales for The Economist as a Brand Manager, call centre work and various other temping. So I have a fair bit of customer service experience and generally know how to work hard. I also have xyz on my CV for extra-curriculars.

So far I've applied to at least (and this is the ABSOLUTE minimum) 30 graduate schemes. Only Aldi and Nestle and Danone were interested in interviewing me, and two of these are still in progress. A part from that, Asda, Tesco, Proctor & Gamble, Aldi, Boots, Civil Service, Sainsburys, John Lewis, Waitrose and many many more have rejected me!

Now I'd quite happily go travelling for a month or two after graduation but have no savings. I also am too ambitious to try out temping - I know that sound awful, and I really don't want to do a GDL or PGCSE or any more education - I'm just too ready for the real world.

So what should I do? Shall I give up now? I've applied to a lot of internships too, but I just can't do any more of these frigging applications whilst juggling two dissertations and paid work..
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What is it exactly that you want to do?

When you say that you've applied for 30 graduate schemes ranging from Tesco to the Civil Service, it sounds like you're just applying for any random job that will take graduates - and this probably shows in your applications.

If you narrow down your interests and apply for jobs that you actually WANT, your enthusiasm will show.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there is something wrong with how you are writing your applications? It seems you have the correct qualifications but perhaps your not showing them in the best manner. It might be an idea to get somebody knowledgable to check over your cv etc.

ReputationRep:
    make sure each cv is tailored to each paticular business, that my help especially if youve only done one cv which you hope will work for all of the businesses.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry dude, too many graduates, not enough graduate jobs, - recession. These companies just don't want anyone really. So don't take it personally.

Just remember not to vote Labour in again.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I don't know, I'm pretty sure the Tories would have ensured that we'd be in even worse shape now, never mind the fact that they're a bunch of incompetant fools.

Personally I'm hoping for a hung Parliament, its about time we finally got some decent constitutional reform through...

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I want to agree with la fille danse - if you've applied to all those grad schemes, it does sound like you don't know what you want. The title 'graduate scheme' doesn't mean you'll like it. You need to keep in mind that recruitment is a two way thing. Working for Aldi and the Civil Service are two VERY different things.

Secondly, to be blunt, get over yourself. We're in a recession, and temping is a perfectly good option - it isn't beneath you, and in fact if you find the right temp job you could make the contacts to get the graduate job you really want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.A.K)
    Okay okay, I'm at Uni. of Warwick in my last year studying History. Plan is to get a solid 2.1. My A Levels and GCSEs were more or less straight As. My CV includes at least 5 jobs, one of which was Buckingham Palace/Royal Collection for the past two summers, a job directing advertising and sales for The Economist as a Brand Manager, call centre work and various other temping. So I have a fair bit of customer service experience and generally know how to work hard. I also have xyz on my CV for extra-curriculars.

So far I've applied to at least (and this is the ABSOLUTE minimum) 30 graduate schemes. Only Aldi and Nestle and Danone were interested in interviewing me, and two of these are still in progress. A part from that, Asda, Tesco, Proctor & Gamble, Aldi, Boots, Civil Service, Sainsburys, John Lewis, Waitrose and many many more have rejected me!

Now I'd quite happily go travelling for a month or two after graduation but have no savings. I also am too ambitious to try out temping - I know that sound awful, and I really don't want to do a GDL or PGCSE or any more education - I'm just too ready for the real world.

So what should I do? Shall I give up now? I've applied to a lot of internships too, but I just can't do any more of these frigging applications whilst juggling two dissertations and paid work..
    I'm in the same position as you. I applied to about 15 graduate schemes and only had 1 assessment centre which I didn't get. I applied to Sainsburys, John Lewis, Arcadia etc. But I decided that I was applying for any random graduate scheme. This is probably why I didnt get them because I really was not too passionate I just thought this is the usual route that graduates take. That and only 5% of graduates get a graduate scheme. 2009 in terms of employment is the worst for graduates, less firms are recruiting and companies have less vacancies. Now I am also thinking about travelling after uni with my savings. I don't want to do any postgraduate education because 17 years of full-time education is too much! I say KEEP preserving and applying if it is what you really want. Just be careful on your applications make sure you tailor your answers to the job role and dont copy and paste. Remember these schemes are very competitive so if you are not successful there are many other career paths you can take.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to quite a few graduate placements, most of which are quite varied just because i like variation =]

dont get too downhearted - its the worst year to graduate for a long time in terms of graduate placements - there's loads of well-paid jobs out there that arent graduate placements! At least then you can have a 'regular' job for a year or two and keep applying to graduate placements - get some work experience and away you go.

I'm totally not stressing about getting a job yet - exams and dissertation are the most important things right now - if i dont do well at those, i wont get a graduate placement full stop!

Be prepared to broaden your options and consider different paths to follow. Do you know what career you would like, which sector? I seem to remember from previous threads that you are interested in marketing? Very competitive so perhaps look into marketing work experience if you haven't got anything on your CV that directly relates to that. Don't just focus on the big companies either, look for smaller places too. Warwick Arts Centre for example are running a July-September Marketing and Press internship which could offer a good foot in the door.

Temping could be a good move, you say your too ambitious to do temp work for a bit, probably not the best attitude. Perhaps consider temping if you get nothing elsewhere and try to use it to build contacts within companies and gain more experience of different types of work. It would ultimately be better than nothing. You could reapply to grad schemes next year after gaining more experience which would be useful for interviews.

What about considering some sort of voluntary work as a post university gap year? Again broaden your experience and probably better for your sense of well being that the depressing routine of endless visits to the job centre.

Lots of rambling advice there but I'm finding myself in a similar situation. Fed up with the fact I still haven't really heard back from some telephone interviews and getting stressed about what to do with my life. I've started listening to my parents telling me that not getting a graduate scheme offer this year won't be the end of the world and might lead to something more interesting anyway. So I'm looking into options which wouldn't have appealed at first but now seem quite exciting. Totally different career path but makes life more interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Aye think those among us whoa re graduating this year pulled the short straw thats for certain! had a first interview for ernst adny ougn passed it got onto the assessment centre only for my application to be put and hold and told there were no longer any grduate postions for coroprate tax this year but if market conditions changed i could continue my application but there was no garunteesd...... sucks.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.