The Student Room Group

Jobs & Their Salaries...

So I was just wondering what everyone's views our on this...

1) How much does one have to earn before you consider what they earn as "decent" or "good"?

2) How much does money matter to you in a job? Would you be happy if you got paid hardly anything but loved your job? Or would you be prepared to slug it out every day doing something you don't exactly like but you're earning relatively loads? Or do you like a balance, if so, define your "balance".

3) Would you be prepared to do a longer degree or training if it meant you earnt more in the latter part of the job (age 40+)? Or earn more in the starting stages in life but have a lower cap on salary (i.e. the maximum salary is lower).

4) Would you rather earn £40,000p/a and get married or earn £200,000 and never get married (NB: This doesn't mean you aren't happy, just you never get married)?

5) What our your views, on my views: Is it worth doing a long, arduous degree that your best friend is doing just to earn lots in life and perhaps be with your best friend longer?

I just want different opinions to see what the majority view is on the money matter.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

1/ In my opinion to eventually have a "good wage" I would want to be earning at least £30,000.

2/ Money does matter to me but not to the point that I would do a job that I don't enjoy just to earn a lot. I want a "good" wage but I also want to enjoy the work that I do and therefore if it meant having a lower salary than one I wouldn't enjoy then so be it.

3/ I'm not too sure on this question. I know what I want to do and that doesn't involve anything too strenuous. Whatever I wanted to do I don't think the length of the path to get there would deter me or motivate me depending on the eventual outcome at a later stage in life.

4/ I would much rather get married. I would be happy on £40,000.

5/ If it's the degree YOU want to do then do it. DO NOT do it just to be near your friend, you need to do it because it's what interests you and what you want to do full time one day.

I hope this answers your questions.

Take care x
1) 100k+
2) i wouldnt mind having a really stressfull job for a couple of years, if i earned alot from it. as then it would allow me to live in comfort, while i do a job i enjoy but get paid a far lower wage.
3) yes i would prefer longer training. i would hate to feel i had a 'cap' on my possible earnings
4) 40k and get married.
5) you should only do degrees for yourself. not for other people
Reply 3
Ok, here are my personal opinions...

1) I would consider a decent salary about £13-14,000, but only as a starting salary. A decent salary in the long-run would be between £18-20k.

2) Money matters to an extent, but if I'm going to be doing the job for 40+ years enjoyment is much more important to me. I'd like to work as a reporter or in a press office so I'm looking at around £14k starting rising to anything above £20k if I get the job I eventually want, and that's a good enough balance for me.

3) I'd rather earn more in the early stages, but then I literally couldn't afford to go to university so I was limited anyway. I just didn't want to spend the first 5 years of my working life or longer paying back student loans.

4) I'd rather earn £40,000pa and get married. But that's very personal, marriage is more important to me.

5) I don't think you should do a long arduous degree just to be with your best friend longer. You should do something because that's what you want to do. If people are such good friends they'll stay in touch regardless of where they go and what they do.
1) Decent: 16-18K. Good: 25K.

5) Is this a serious question? Seriously? :s-smilie:
1) depends entirely on the individual, but id be happy at an average of 78k
2) i have actually turned down a job that paid 5k more for one that i enjoyed more, and i dont regret it one bit. in fact in the long run this job provided me a lot more in terms of opportunity
3) to an extent eg mba if that would make a massive difference
4) if the marriage does not equate happiness, id stay single till i amn happily married
5) no and, no.
1) At least 80K per year for me (obviously this will go up during my career)

2) Money is the only thing that matters as long as what I am doing is safe+legal.

3) I plan on retiring at 40/45. And I plan on earning around 200K towards the later stages (ie 35-45). Training before is fine, anything after would be unlikely.

4) Depends when it is. 200K would win until I am 45. After that, if I have earned 200K consistently then marriage, otherwise I'll carry on earning. In short, I'm not that bothered about marriage and would prefer money.

5) No, I want to do a degree I enjoy. If my friend is doing maths, then yes sounds like a good plan, otherwise my friend can be my friend outside of university.
Reply 7
la fille danse
1) Decent: 16-18K. Good: 25K.

5) Is this a serious question? Seriously? :s-smilie:

That was a serious question, seriously, I seriously wanted to know what people's serious views were upon the matter. It seems, however, people are just seriously looking at the "stay with friend" bit rather than the "more money in life" bit as well.

Yours seriously,

Bradley.
Kingbradley6
That was a serious question, seriously, I seriously wanted to know what people's serious views were upon the matter. It seems, however, people are just seriously looking at the "stay with friend" bit rather than the "more money in life" bit as well.

Yours seriously,

Bradley.

Ah, I am sorry, I didn't see the earn lots in life bit. Depends on the degree. I may sacrifice some enjoyment to do something like physics which I enjoy a fair bit, but not as much as maths. Although, something like medicine or chemistry and I'm afraid I'd have to find some other way of earning the money. However, I never really considered a degree that was short and required laziness.
Reply 9
Kingbradley6

1) How much does one have to earn before you consider what they earn as "decent" or "good"?

I'm not sure at all. It entirely depends on how much an individual needs to earn, I think.

Kingbradley6
2) How much does money matter to you in a job? Would you be happy if you got paid hardly anything but loved your job? Or would you be prepared to slug it out every day doing something you don't exactly like but you're earning relatively loads? Or do you like a balance, if so, define your "balance".

Money doesn't matter much at all. I'd rather be in a job I loved earning just enough to survive than a job that pays £100,000 and is dull.

Kingbradley6
3) Would you be prepared to do a longer degree or training if it meant you earnt more in the latter part of the job (age 40+)? Or earn more in the starting stages in life but have a lower cap on salary (i.e. the maximum salary is lower).

I'd do a longer degree if I'd enjoy the job more at the end. As it is though, in my intended career I'll be earning £11,500 and will be refusing a promotion if I ever get offered one because the higher jobs would be less enjoyable.

Kingbradley6
4) Would you rather earn £40,000p/a and get married or earn £200,000 and never get married (NB: This doesn't mean you aren't happy, just you never get married)?

I'd rather earn £200,000 and never get married, purely because I don't care at all about marriage.

Kingbradley6
5) What our your views, on my views: Is it worth doing a long, arduous degree that your best friend is doing just to earn lots in life and perhaps be with your best friend longer?

It's worth doing the long degree IF you want to do it, but not because a best friend is. Friendship should continue anyway.
Reply 10
1) I think anyone on £20,000+ has a 'good wage'.

2) There's a compromise. If I was happy in a job then I'd be willing to sacrifice a higher paying one, as long as the job is secure and there are opportunities to progress. Money definitely isn't everything, but it's a factor.

3) I'd much rather have a lower, consistent salary than one that builds up slowly. I'd rather have decent money to enjoy my younger life than loads of money for my retirement.

4) To be honest, £40,000 is LOADS to me. I'd never expect anything more than that and I'd rather be married, both on £30k (for example), than alone with £200k.

5) Assuming you don't enjoy the degree, it's not a good idea. You should do what you want, regardless of money and other peoples' influences. Unless that IS what you want...I suppose?
Reply 11
how the hell is 13-20 a good salary?
it would be a struggle to live on that in london!
Kingbradley6
So I was just wondering what everyone's views our on this...

I just want different opinions to see what the majority view is on the money matter.

Thanks.

1) It's relative. I'm earning enough that it's excellent for an 18 year old with no degree, but if I was 45 and earning the same amount, it would not be great.

2) It matters, a lot. In my chosen field, profit is the one indicator of success. I could never do something I disliked for all my life to earn loads of money. I love the work I do, and it pays brilliantly, so I've got it perfect. Undoubtably others would not like it, because it's under pressure and uncertain, but that's how I operate best.

3) Yes, I'd do a long degree if neccessary.

4) 200k and not married. I can still be with a partener I love everyday, marriage is just something to show you're joined in law, although it's nice, it's not everything. Although I'd rather have love than money if I had to pick.

5) I don't do arduous things unless it's worth it. It depends, will you love the job at the end of it?
Eventually, £100 at the least.

2) I'd want a job where I did gain some sort of enjoyment out of it, compromising with love for a descent salary. After all, you are actually working and it may as well be for something materialistic.

3) It depends on the degree, but since I don't mind studying, a longer degree wouldn't phase me too much. :biggrin:

4) £200,000 and never get married. I don't really want to ever get married anyway, but who knows what time will bring.

5) You want to earn lots in life then so be it. If that's your motivation for it then it's your opinion and your entitled to your own reasoning for whatever you want to do.
Reply 14
1. £40,000 but im basing this on wanting to be able to afford a mortgage on a decent house.

2. Happiness is far more important (i switched from a law degree to one in microbiology because i knew i would never be happy as a lawyer).

3.Yes, im doing either grad medicine or a phd after i graduate, but its more for the purpose of achieving an ambition than for more money at the end of it.

4. i'd rather earn less and be married and happy.

5. Er if they are my friend im going to have them in my life regardless of whether im doing a degree with them or not.
jaz_jaz
how the hell is 13-20 a good salary?
it would be a struggle to live on that in london!

Not really. :s-smilie: I comfortably live on 19K in London, and I still manage to save about 30% of my salary...

And, not everybody lives in London.
Reply 16
1) Personally good pay for me now and in very near future would be £12k - £15k a year. Anything in region of £25 - £40k will do me in future.

2) Well im doing A levels, as they're always useful to have :p: But i want to own my own "Drinking Hole" as it were, my teachers always tried to gear me towards Law, and i could do that if i wanted, but i just dont want to do that, another umpteen years studying just so i can earn extra money? for a job that means i sit behind a desk all day? Owning a pub to me is exciting, and no matter what happens, people will always drink beer :biggrin:

3) By training after A levels with a reputable pub co, i can get my experience and qualifications faster, earning a decent wage. Then once i have what i need, i can get my own pub, which in the right area, can earn me anything from £25 - £50k a year. Im not gonna be one who works solely for the money, i want a sociable job, where i can still be stretched.

4) I would rather be on the crappest wage ever and get married, rather than being as rich as syrup cake, and no one to share it with! Although if im choosing, i'd like to be on £30k and married :biggrin:

5) Being with your friends might be important now, but what if you have a serious fall out? Being on the same course wont be easy. People need to do what THEY want to do and because they love it, not because other people think they should do it. All my friends are going to Uni, im gonna get a job, and im happy with that :p:

Uni aint for everyone :p: Someone has to work in the corner shop, and someone has to sell you a holiday, someone to pull your pints and someone to sell you clothes :biggrin:
90% of people in full-time employment who have been in the same job for more than a year earn less than £49,923 annually.
75% of them earn less than £35,479.
50% earn less than £25,123.

People should keep realism in mind when determining their "expectations". Most people on TSR live in a dreamworld in these regards.
la fille danse
90% of people in full-time employment who have been in the same job for more than a year earn less than £49,923 annually.
75% of them earn less than £35,479.
50% earn less than £25,123.

People should keep realism in mind when determining their "expectations". Most people on TSR live in a dreamworld in these regards.

You are forgetting that TSR comprises of more hard-working, grades orientated people.
Reply 19
by the way you can still have kids and life long relationship without marriage.

Latest

Trending

Trending