'The Arabic language is built on the foundation of Islamic principles': do you agree? Watch

username130457
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For example, some words in Arabic which denote actions such as 'homosexuality' or 'sex' sound negative when said. I don't know, I just feel that they're despising to acts outside of Islamic principles....
Homosexuality in Arabic = 'Shaáth' which means in literal terms 'the chooser of the wrong path [in reference to homosexuality]'.

Thoughts?
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think most languages kind of mould themselves according to the general historical consensus of the people who speak it.

An extreme example in English would be the word "judas" which refers to a person who betrays another under the guise of friendship.
Actually, in older versions of the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "jew" is a verb which means "to haggle someone down to a reasonable price".

I wouldn't be surprised if Arabic was all that similar, even though I don't speak it myself.
Miss Pedantic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
I think most languages kind of mould themselves according to the general historical consensus of the people who speak it.

An extreme example in English would be the word "judas" which refers to a person who betrays another under the guise of friendship.
Actually, in the dictionary, the word "jew" is a verb which means "to haggle someone down to a reasonable price".

I wouldn't be surprised if Arabic was all that similar, even though I don't speak it myself.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done Sherlock :rolleyes:, after all Arabic is the primary language of Islam
Twilighter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
pft. No.
kinglrb
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Arabic existed way before Islam so your theory is wrong.
noisy06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ramadulla)
For example, some words in Arabic which denote actions such as 'homosexuality' or 'sex' sound negative when said. I don't know, I just feel that they're despising to acts outside of Islamic principles....
Homosexuality in Arabic = 'Shaáth' which means in literal terms 'the chooser of the wrong path [in reference to homosexuality]'.

Thoughts?
if you're talking about islam well before the revelation of the Qur'an you could be right, but as for after, you're dead wrong.
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Actually, in older versions of the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "jew" is a verb which means "to haggle someone down to a reasonable price".

are you serious?:rolleyes:
Hodan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Thoughts?
Did "Shaath" become the word used to mean homosexuality before or after Islam was founded? If it was after, then Islam might have had something to do with it.
username130457
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Hodan)
Did "Shaath" become the word used to mean homosexuality before or after Islam was founded? If it was after, then Islam might have had something to do with it.
After, i think. Prior to this it was 'Matli AlGens' (some non-Muslims still use this) which basically means 'X likes their gender sexually'.
Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What about the Bedouin? What language did they speak before Islam ever came along?
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheBrightShadow)
Am I serious about what?
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Am I serious about what?
'jew' meaning to haggle?
noisy06
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
'jew' meaning to haggle?
lol
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
'jew' meaning to haggle?
Yes, it used to be in older editions of the Oxford English Dictionary - but it's not there anymore.

Actually, the definition of the word "jew" (with a small j) can also be found here:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/jew
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why are you 'rolling your eyes'? :confused:

Quick question - was homosexuality accepted in the Arabic speaking countries before Islam came about?
EskimoJo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
I highly doubt it, both of the other previous Abrahamic religions reject homosexuality, and pre-Islam, the Arabic lang. was only confined to the Arabian Peninsula (ie. modern day Saudi Arabia and Yemen)
Cheers.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you know Arabic? Is this "sex" in general, or a particular type of sex (rape, fornication, etc.)?

If it's the latter, then fair enough, I still take your point. But if it's the former... well... Islam does allow people to have sex
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.51%
No (556)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (188)
20.59%

Watched Threads