GGB6 Geography AQA B 2009- Practical paper Watch

saltey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
I found the GGB5 thread realy useful, I know we talked about GGB6 in it a little but I thought I'd give it it's own thread.
jabed786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi. Erm what to say... I think my advice is nail your investigation ;
know your aim and two hypotheses
know how you presented data for one hyp (were using kite diagrams)
know how you tested and analysed data for a hyp (were using spearmans rank)
show how it developed your understanding of the topic investied

what do yo uthink is going to come up for the skill?
saltey
Rep:
?
I'm good with all of the skills except piecharts so knowing my luck they'll come up.
Maybe triangle graphs not sure when they were last on it.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by saltey)
I'm good with all of the skills except piecharts so knowing my luck they'll come up.
Maybe triangle graphs not sure when they were last on it.
really? pie charts I find the most easiest.

I dont think triangular will come up. I think its going to be something statistical as the last few things has been graphical such as desire line maps, cross sections, clorapleths and that sort of thing.
So I think its going to be location quotant or lorenz curves or maybe standard dev.

edit: or maybe something complex like chi square testing.
saltey
Rep:
?
comparison pie charts bug me they can get so confusing, or maybe i'm over complicating them.

hmm can't remeber chi square testing... out of the others I hope its standard dev.
Ratiasu
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
chi squared hasn't come up before so i think there's a good chance that it'll turn up this time
Dannie_BCTC
Report 9 years ago
im not gonna do very well on the skills part. but i spose i have to learn chi squared for my biology exam anyway so if that comes up i already know it
loopy6111
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hiya i've that exam. I'm not too worried about the fieldwork bit unless how we presented it comes up :P My teacher hasn't taught us chi squared because she couldn't find it on the syllabus. I'm going to double check though. I haven't a clue how to use it and it seems like plenty of people are saying it might come up on here
SuffocatedAnxiety
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Standard deviation comes up most years and it did last year for me. It is useful to know Chi squared and Mann–Whitney U, but remember that mean, mode and median still count as well, even if they are easy.

For the fieldwork bit, just put as much detail in as you possibly can. Found that was the easiest way of getting full marks.

Also, don't rely on the format never changing from the practice papers. We were expecting a variation of the 5 or so papers we had answered that were basically the same, but when we got to the exam we had stuff to do with OS maps and mapping out the profile of a slope from within a specified area. It was scary, to say the least and basically everyone in our class got D or Es (We were all A/B students..)

But we all still got what we were predicted, so cocking it up doesn't mean you'll do crap! Good luck
Ratiasu
Report 9 years ago
What exactly is standard deviation? I never got my head around it in a-level maths so i'm even more confused in geography
scfkong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ratiasu)
What exactly is standard deviation? I never got my head around it in a-level maths so i'm even more confused in geography
It's the measure of dispersion (.../spread/distribution) of the values from the mean.
In a normal distribution +/- 1 sd = 68% of the values, 2 = 95%, 3 = 99.8% (I think...1 & 2 are definitely right...you only really need to remember 1)

That's about all you need to know for sd.

chi squared hasn't come up before so i think there's a good chance that it'll turn up this time
It's not in specification so not likely to come up.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA...36-W-SP-09.PDF

Check page 51 to see all the skills needed in the whole geography course (aka all the skills that they may actually ask you about in ggb6)

However, you can use chi-squared as an analysis tool if a question asks for an analysis technique.
mad-cow18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Remember though the spec has just changed so its the 2008 spec you need to check!

I have a feeling (and hope) that it will be something statistical. Im quite good at standard deviation, location quotient etc. Lorenz curves should be ok its hard to analyse though and i hope to god we dont get a report at the end. Ill end up waffling. Anyone think a long section could come up though? trying to repeat similar to summer with the cross section?
xxx
scfkong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mad-cow18)
Remember though the spec has just changed so its the 2008 spec you need to check!

I have a feeling (and hope) that it will be something statistical. Im quite good at standard deviation, location quotient etc. Lorenz curves should be ok its hard to analyse though and i hope to god we dont get a report at the end. Ill end up waffling. Anyone think a long section could come up though? trying to repeat similar to summer with the cross section?
xxx
Yeah it's still the current GCE specification, there's a different 2009 spec for the new GCEs, you can see cos at the end it still says possible grades: A,B,C,D,E...no A*.

I really hope one of those big questions at the end don't come up, sometimes it's kinda hard to know what they want you to say and i just end up going on and on about irrelavant stuff.
Ratiasu
Report 9 years ago
well if you're 100% sure that chi-squared won't turn up then that's good, also i didn't actually know the spec speicified which techniques we needed or not needed, i'm looking through the spec now but find nothing on what is needed for this exam, it just says be able to analyse data, evaluate data etc.
mad-cow18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HELP! Ive just looked at the spec and found that condidence limits and standard error of the mean, also index numbers may come up. My teacher has not even mentioned these at all so i am panicking. My sister has done these at uni but is confusing me further. Could anyone help me out??
xxx
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
well if you're 100% sure that chi-squared won't turn up then that's good, also i didn't actually know the spec speicified which techniques we needed or not needed, i'm looking through the spec now but find nothing on what is needed for this exam, it just says be able to analyse data, evaluate data etc.
It says which skills you need to learn on page 52. Wish I had come across that page a few weeks ago arghhh oh well atleast now I can be sure that I know most of the skills on it.
I have a feeling its going to be Lorenz Curves since its been a while.
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
HELP! Ive just looked at the spec and found that condidence limits and standard error of the mean, also index numbers may come up. My teacher has not even mentioned these at all so i am panicking. My sister has done these at uni but is confusing me further. Could anyone help me out??
xxx
oh god my teacher hasnt gone thru them aswell!! :O

someone help!!
Ratiasu
Report 9 years ago
damn, my teacher never even mentioned the spec, he just rambled on saying anything could come up
mad-cow18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
could anyone help out also wiht lorenzcurves. one i see in my text book has ranks on the x axis and the other cumulative percent in service occupations. What the difference between the 2 whe drawing them?
jabed786
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
could anyone help out also wiht lorenzcurves. one i see in my text book has ranks on the x axis and the other cumulative percent in service occupations. What the difference between the 2 whe drawing them?
Lorenze curve is a form of CUMULATIVE graph so that is why there is a cumulative percent on the y axis.
It measures the level of concentration of a geographical factor such as number of doctors in each reigon (NW,SW,E etc).

The first rank is the highest percent e.g. 50%
and the second point/rank is the second highest percentage plus the past percentage e.g. 50+20%= 70% is plotted

then the third is the third highest percent plotted cumulatively e.g. 70+9=79% plotted on the graph. then a line of perfect equality is drawn to measure how equally distirbuted the number of doctors are.

Choropleth maps are useful with Lorenz Curves because coropleths visually show spatial distribution. Which is difficult with Lorenz as you can only see which area is highly concentrated (the first rank so for my example its 50% for London)
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?