Turn on thread page Beta

Agency Fees watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On average how much are estate agency fees for second year housing and how much did you pay?

ReputationRep:
    Agency fees vary massively, so it's hard to say even roughly what you'll need to pay. Generally, you'll need to pay some kind of holding deposit for a property that you're interested in - this can be anything up to a few hundred pounds. Check and double check whether this is refundable should you not end up taking the property, or if the LL decides not to take you. Quite often they're not, and you can end up out of pocket if for whatever reason you don't get/take the house.

Then you'll need to pay referencing/credit check fees. Again, agencies can charge anything they want. The least I've paid is £35, the most £150. This is per person and if you need a guarantor, which you most likely will as a student, then that's an added cost.

On top of that some agencies will charge other fees, for example 'check-in' and inventory fees. For the last place I moved into this was £75. Not all places will charge for this, and if you can find a LL to rent from directly then there aren't usually as many fees. Also be aware that if you're charged a check-in fee, then there'll most likely be a check-out fee too. Make sure you read any terms and conditions before you sign.

I'd budget for a couple of hundred pounds per person (assuming that you get charged high referencing fees). You might not need it but it's probably best to plan for the worst case scenario.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.