Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    that is the question for me.
    i am currently in year 11 and want to do the iB next year, hopefully, but i have a dilemma between take a couple of subjects, and one of them is philosophy. i am veery interested in philosophy and keen on the syllabus,- descartes medallions, but not sure about whether it is challenging enough as i havent taken rs gcse as i didnt find it interesting at all!
    i also am not sure whether i will like it or not, as most teachers teaching this are boring, as are students,(that's fine, i can cope with-only if i like the subject), but i dont know if i will like it or not-find it interesting...??????

ReputationRep:
    i do philosophy and i love it

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I wouldn't pay £15,000 to take it at degree level. We should all be philosophers, and keeping a keen interest in it as such is sufficient in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Ask a teacher what's on the sylabbus to see whether you think you'll like it or not. I do it, and it's good fun.

Don't base your decision on whether you liked the GCSE; they're very different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancsmithsfan)
    Nah, I wouldn't pay £15,000 to take it at degree level. We should all be philosophers, and keeping a keen interest in it as such is sufficient in my book.

The OP is asking whether he should do it for IB;

ReputationRep:
    If the teachers and students are boring then I imagine your classes will be too. One of the more enjoyable aspects of philosophy would be the opportunity to discuss and debate your thoughts with your peers. If classes are dull you would do better to study and read about the subject by yourself, for pleasure.

In addition to that, if you don't think it will be challenging take something that will make it easier for you to get a job e.g. maths or a science that will be challenging and people will be more impressed by.

ReputationRep:
    i havent done the gcse. it doesnt exist in my school.
    i said though, that i like the sound of the syllabus, but just not sure it will help me in the real world, if you know what i mean...?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by bodsta123)
    that is the question for me.
    i am currently in year 11 and want to do the iB next year, hopefully, but i have a dilemma between take a couple of subjects, and one of them is philosophy. i am veery interested in philosophy and keen on the syllabus,- descartes medallions, but not sure about whether it is challenging enough as i havent taken rs gcse as i didnt find it interesting at all!
    i also am not sure whether i will like it or not, as most teachers teaching this are boring, as are students,(that's fine, i can cope with-only if i like the subject), but i dont know if i will like it or not-find it interesting...??????
    Are those anything like Descartes' Meditiations? :eyeball:

If the teachers are boring then the subject may well seem so too. Its a subject which can be very much influenced by teacher quality unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I know the IB isn't a degree but I would strongly advise you against considering a degree in it. Do something difficult that people will respect; you can enjoy uni life just as much and have the option of a well-paid job at the end of it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jcpeden)
    I know the IB isn't a degree but I would strongly advise you against considering a degree in it. Do something difficult that people will respect; you can enjoy uni life just as much and have the option of a well-paid job at the end of it.
    But that has no relevance to this thread :p:

ReputationRep:
    i havent done the gcse. it doesnt exist in my school.
    i said though, that i like the sound of the syllabus, but just not sure it will help me in the real world, if you know what i mean...?
    It will help you construct and analyse debates and arguments (hopefully) pretty rationally and will also help you become articulate as well. Also, if it's a topic you have no clue about, you can apply putting in your bulls****ing skills into it to avoid a question somebody asked you. I'm planning on taking A Level (AQA) Philosophy and RS: Philosophy and Ethics (OCR) next year for AS.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the one, meditations! is philosophy a subject in which you can be naturally good at, or you can study to be good at?? can you learn it all and parrot it out in an exam, or do you need to know how to think?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thats the one, meditations! is philosophy a subject in which you can be naturally good at, or you can study to be good at?? can you learn it all and parrot it out in an exam, or do you need to know how to think?
    Philosophy A-level is FAAAAR too much about parroting in the exam, hence why I hate the exams :p:. But the lessons are fun and my results in it don't matter so its all ok .

The exams (at least in A-level) are basically 'Assess X theory' sort of thing. Whereas I normally make up the arguments as I go its much easier (and better for your grade) if you memorise all the different philosophers' arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Philosophy A-level is FAAAAR too much about parroting in the exam
    This is true.

More generally, read some Philosophy? Ask a teacher what you'll be learning and examine in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Are those anything like Descartes' Meditiations? :eyeball:

If the teachers are boring then the subject may well seem so too. Its a subject which can be very much influenced by teacher quality unfortunately.
    You mean Meditations :shifty:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by England Captain)
    You mean Meditations :shifty:
    Yes, yes I made a typo, however I am typing in the pitch dark here .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.