Turn on thread page Beta

history at uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    unsure about doing history at uni, probably might do maths and history at uni.
    your views...?
    worthwhile?
    useful?

ReputationRep:
    It's your life

It's now or never

You're not gonna live forever

ReputationRep:
    maths and history isn't a very good degree combination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose_1988)
    maths and history isn't a very good degree combination
    Why?

There both respected subjects and by doing them both you demonstrate two different sets of skills.

ReputationRep:
    its not now or never anyway because i still have a year to decide before even begninning to think of applying to uni as i am in year 11 currently....those are the two subjects i am stuck on and really like both and am good at both. just ideas....
    ATQ!!

ReputationRep:
    Doing both shows you can't make up your mind and commit to one area, they aren't related subjects and so don't compliment each other well. If you do a quick search you'll find only a handful of not very good unis offer maths and history together.

ReputationRep:
    what about history and english- its a well known combination and are strongly related to each other, maths and history are two completely different subjects- it probs wont be offered at many unis
    im applying to do history and english and more and more unis are offering it
    good luck with it though
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodsta123)
    unsure about doing history at uni, probably might do maths and history at uni.
    your views...?
    worthwhile?
    useful?
    maths and history , is quite a diverse degree. Research on what types of employment you'd be interested in if you went into study that paticular degree.

ReputationRep:
    They do offer courses at Keele and Leeds that you might be interested in. You could always apply to these two and then single subject either maths or history at 3 others. As long as you concentrate on either maths OR history in your PS and merely allude to the other, this would be a perfectly acceptable course to do. Also, there are programmes at places like Newcastle where you can do a combined studies degree and combine two subjects like maths and history fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    Weird combo that, unless you did them seperately e.g. 2 years maths followed by 2 years history or whatever, I can't see anyone doing very well in, or many universities offering it. I think you should stick with just one.

ReputationRep:
    Howdy,

I did Maths in First Year (As part of a Software Eng Degree), then switched to History and Economics. Not a fan of Maths in the slightest, only picked it because it was compulsory.

Anyway- at Glasgow they'll let you do whatever you like in First and Second Year, but they wont let you take History and Maths together onto honours. Since you need 120 credits of each subject at a certain minimum to qualify for honours here (6 modules), then it is technically (although I know of no one thats ever done it) possible to take the required first and second year modules for both degrees. You wont be able to graduate in both, but at least it will give you two years of University work to try and see what you prefer. I'm not sure how the logistics of picking 120 credits in a different faculty will work in first and second year- probably lots of timetabling issues, but the handbook for history doesn't explicitly say it's impossible.

The flexible system in most Scottish Unis, or at least the four ancient ones, means something similar should be possible, but I can't vouch for exactly how St Andrews, Aberdeen or Edinburgh work.

Oh, and my degree switch meant I had to do two first years, but if I'd picked just History for my degree (as it turned out being), and also had had the foresight to pick history as my elective subject in my 'first' first year, then I'd have been able to switch without repeating first year.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually a very good combination in terms of jobs, but I doubt many places offer it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.