help!biology coursework - osmosis.PWITTY PLEASE HELP!

Watch
This discussion is closed.
help the stupid
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
help!

Can anybody tell me if this is correct for my hypothesis,pleaseeeee???

"the lower the concentration of the sugar solution in the test tube the more mass the potato chip will gain. This would be due to the diffusion of water molecules moving from the weak sugar solution or distilled water to the stronger solution (in the potato chip) through the partially permeable membrane, the cell wall. The potatoes in the test tubes with high concentrations of the sugar solution will decrease in size and mass."

or is it the other way round???am totally confused!
Advertisement
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by help the stupid)
help!

"the lower the concentration of the sugar solution in the test tube the more mass the potato chip will gain. This would be due to the diffusion of water molecules moving from the weak sugar solution or distilled water to the stronger solution (in the potato chip) through the partially permeable membrane, the cell wall. The potatoes in the test tubes with high concentrations of the sugar solution will decrease in size and mass."

Is thatnot osmosis. Where the water moves from a higher concentration of water to the lower end of concentration.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
help!

I know you get fat pototoes if you leave them in normal water. I did all this in school, so let me think.

OK if you place a potato in a highly concetrated solution, the potaoto will shrink. If you put it in pure water, the water will move into the potato, cause the amount of water in the potato is less. Phew, yeah..I remeber now, its diffusion not osmosis.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
help!

Sorry, in answer to your question. Yes that is the answer, you have it spot on. :cool:
nikk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hey instead of registering hundreds of different names and starting new threads why not do it all in one thread....
Advertisement
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (530)
51.06%
No (508)
48.94%

Watched Threads