Turn on thread page Beta

Retail the worst job in the world watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was told by a careers advisor that retail is something one would want to avoid as a full time career.

What do you think? What are your opinions on retail? Is it really THAT bad?

ReputationRep:
    nah, you get a discount!

ReputationRep:
    Well depends on the company. I work in retail and its gots it good and bad day. It is one of those, you either love it or hate it, its not for everyone. Look at some companies like M&S, JL they have good graduate schemes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    Personally, it's not for me - I couldn't handle it as a full-time position.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it forever. It's booooring. And your job satisfaction relies on customers, never a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    it depends where you work, as others have said.

I dont think i'd be able to do it for a career as sometimes i'm just not in the mood to be nice to everyone!

Its a good career though - plenty of chances for training and promotions!

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, it has it's good and bad days. More bad atm! Not as a full time career though, I could never do it full time. I admire those who have the knack to do it as a career!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's awful. Always the same, sometimes stressful, sometimes boring. I hate it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big Kabz)
    I was told by a careers advisor that retail is something one would want to avoid as a full time career.

It is not. There are many careers in retail apart from the sale advisors you see at the tills. There are retail merchandisers, buyers, visual merchandisers, PRs, management, human resources. So thats her opinion but shes a careers advisor she's supposed to advise. What kind of career service is that!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by suicidal_dream)
    it depends where you work, as others have said.

I dont think i'd be able to do it for a career as sometimes i'm just not in the mood to be nice to everyone!

Its a good career though - plenty of chances for training and promotions!
    Is that really what makes a career good though?

Personally - receiving training on how to sell shoes better wouldn't make me feel any better about my career choice, if that was it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Is that really what makes a career good though?

Personally - receiving training on how to sell shoes better wouldn't make me feel any better about my career choice, if that was it.
    not necessarily, but if you know you're not gonna be stuck on the shop floor for your whole career, i'd say it makes it more appealing.
    Training is important to me in any job, let alone promotions as well.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst a student, it could be very handy.

But as a career, NEVER.

ReputationRep:
    I'm working part-time in retail. I guess the hours are good and the work is pretty simple once you get the knack for it. The cons are you are on your feet all day, you have to constantly work. The store I work in pays minimum wage, they force you doing part time, even though a lot of people have been there for years and you don't really have a say what hours you do.

I would hate to do as an actual career. Trying people to spend money on **** seems really sad.

I did work in a call centre which was worse.

ReputationRep:
    I feel a bit sorry for some of the full-timers i work with who are quite a bit older than me. I don't particularly like my job, but I put up with it because I need money for uni, but they're in it for the long run. I'd hate to work in retail as a career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lɪŋgwɪst)
    I feel a bit sorry for some of the full-timers i work with who are quite a bit older than me. I don't particularly like my job, but I put up with it because I need money for uni, but they're in it for the long run. I'd hate to work in retail as a career.
    Yeah exactly the same for me. It's a really good experience though as it gives you the motivation to work hard and strive at University to ensure that you don't end up working in a call centre/retail which are both classed as critically soul destroying careers.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer retail to catering/hospitality - the hours are less soul destroying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty_P)
    Yeah exactly the same for me. It's a really good experience though as it gives you the motivation to work hard and strive at University to ensure that you don't end up working in a call centre/retail which are both classed as critically soul destroying careers.
    Yeah, good point. Although I do think that working retail has boosted my confidence and, as terrible as it sounds, definitely my communication skills!

ReputationRep:
    A careers adviser (presumably at a school or university) is hardly going to encourage you to work behind a till for the rest of your life, are they? Why do you sound so surprised?

ReputationRep:
    retail sucks, its low pay and repetitive, unusual work hours, work during holidays etc

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.