Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    UCL has, as far as I know, an outstanding reputaion.
    But in which subjects?
    Do you especially know how good or bad the UCL physics course is?
    In contrast to the overall ranking, I can't find UCL in the top 100 of the best physics univeristies list...

ReputationRep:
    One of the best for biomedical sciences in the world, outstanding in all disciplines. The nat sci programme, which im doing, is also very competitive, even more than medicine or law.

ReputationRep:
    Hmnmm, does anyone know something about physics?

ReputationRep:
    nat sci as competitive as law or medicine. are u dreaming?

ReputationRep:
    Physics probably between 5-10 in the UK.
    Imperial would be 1, then oxbridge, the maybe UCL joint with some others...

ReputationRep:
    I wouild say ICT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poossum)
    Physics probably between 5-10 in the UK.
    Imperial would be 1, then oxbridge, the maybe UCL joint with some others...
    Which branch of Physics...

ReputationRep:
    Law & Economics

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahab2008)
    nat sci as competitive as law or medicine. are u dreaming?
    Seconded...

ReputationRep:
    Archaeology is always ranked within the top three nationally - was top ranked in 2008.

ReputationRep:
    The most competitive course is L100 Economics with nearly 3000 applicants this year. The AAA asking offer makes it a top 3 economics institution in the UK and probably UCL's best department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    The most competitive course is L100 Economics with nearly 3000 applicants this year.
    How did you figure this out? Even a quick comparison with English, let alone other oversubscribed subjects shows that Economics is not the most competitive subject, Econ at roughly 15 apps/place, English over 20.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/english/prospec...s.htm#applying
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/prosp...undergraduates (FAQ)

ReputationRep:
    Neuroscience has got to be up there... UCL's the best uni for neuroscience in Europe and arguably in the world, and that's without the new £150something million centre that's being built by 2011...

Scratch that, neuroscience IS UCL's top subject. Over a third of the university's entire research funding is for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    How did you figure this out? Even a quick comparison with English, let alone other oversubscribed subjects shows that Economics is not the most competitive subject, Econ at roughly 15 apps/place, English over 20.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/english/prospec...s.htm#applying
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/prosp...undergraduates (FAQ)
    I'm not talking applicants per place im talking total number of apps.

Economics is a larger course and thus takes more people. There is a higher quality of overall candidate doing economics than english.

And your talking about 1500 for the whole english department which isnt a lot considering the economics dept only handles L100 = 3000 apps- whereas joint courses = another 1000+.

ReputationRep:
    Economics is a larger course and thus takes more people. There is a higher quality of overall candidate doing economics than english.
    Can you not see that the second statement does not follow the first? At all? I take your point that econ is a larger course, but the vast majority of people would understand a subject to be competitive based on the application ratio. Otherwise a course which took in 100000 people, and had a 1:1 application to place ratio would be the most competitive course to get onto. Which doesn't make a massive amount of sense.

Maybe you just don't have time for arts subjects. But Law accepts about 150 from 3000 each year, and so has the same number of applications, and fewer places.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine, Economics, Law, English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Can you not see that the second statement does not follow the first? At all? I take your point that econ is a larger course, but the vast majority of people would understand a subject to be competitive based on the application ratio. Otherwise a course which took in 100000 people, and had a 1:1 application to place ratio would be the most competitive course to get onto. Which doesn't make a massive amount of sense.

Maybe you just don't have time for arts subjects. But Law accepts about 150 from 3000 each year, and so has the same number of applications, and fewer places.

Not according to the application figues I saw. Law 2200 Econ 2850. Higher quality applicants in general I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Not according to the application figues I saw. Law 2200 Econ 2850. Higher quality applicants in general I'd say.
    Where were those figures? Mine, once again are from the departmental website:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/prospectiv...ex.shtml?faq#2

I only ask because you sound a massive, and rather unconvincing bull *******.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dann)
    Where were those figures? Mine, once again are from the departmental website:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/laws/prospectiv...ex.shtml?faq#2

I only ask because you sound a massive, and rather unconvincing bull *******.
    My figures come from the UCL Economics departmental tutor.They are therefore convincing figures or else he wouldn't use them at the Open Days.

Oh and your figures "In most UCAS cycles"....
    Sounds very unconvincing and looks ancient to me.

Official facts :
    UCL Econ 2006/07- 2300
    UCL Econ 2007/8- 2700
    UCL Econ 2008/9-3000+

If you are sad enough to care I can copy you or even screenshot you an email to confirm this.

I think you need to stop looking like an idiot so much and coming on here calling people a ***********. You clearly care too much about the fact that economics a very competitive course with some 90% of applicants good enough to go to oxbridge. If your a law student- then you of all people should know that the increasing number of econ students turning to law means bad news for you guys.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 31, 2015
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.