The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

The best UCL subjects...

Scroll to see replies

Dann
True. But why are you equating large course sizes with quality of applicant? It doesn't follow. Consider the Bartlett. The Architecture course gets roughly 17 applicants per place. It is probably the best architecture course in the country. But because it has a smaller intake, it's quality of applicant is somehow worse?

If that's what you are saying, it's massively flawed. The fact is, you are not in any position to simply assume the quality of competion.

well, how on earth could you posit that heavily flawed argument?
UCL's Architecture school may be of a high standard and hence has the highest applicants per place ratio, but both of them do not necessarily mean that it is the most competitive course at all. To take an example, economics is one of the most over-subscribed course for nearly all top universities. You stated economics has 15app/place whereas architecture course has 17app/place, hence the architecture rules lol. However, when you look at the big picture, high ratio of the architecture course comes from the fact that there aren't that many schools offering Architecture course, while many other top schools offer economics.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Jong Il Kim
well, how on earth could you posit that heavily flawed argument?
UCL's Architecture school may be of a high standard and hence has the highest applicants per place ratio, but both of them do not necessarily mean that it is the most competitive course at all. To take an example, economics is one of the most over-subscribed course for nearly all top universities. You stated economics has 15app/place whereas architecture course has 17app/place, hence the architecture rules lol. However, when you look at the big picture, high ratio of the architecture course comes from the fact that there aren't that many schools offering Architecture course, while many other top schools offer economics.

The fact that it's not offered at many places surely doesn't factor into the equation. It's not offered at many places, hence many, if not most top applicants will apply to UCL (since the the Bartlett is so prestigious and considered to be one of the top schools of architecture in the country) so the competition will be fierce. On the other had, as you were so kind to point out, "many other top schools offer economics", and so there are many options of top students...
so Economics vs Architecture?
Reply 43
Hanoi
Medicine, Economics, Law, English

I spud man on that.. maybe not english though
Reply 44
on behalf on l100 students I apologize for jake's behavior and wish you to not judge the course based on his er... interesting posts (maybe he was high or drunk?!).
English is defo competitive. Law, med, econ as well - there are a few i'm sure I missed out like art, architecture.... As far as i can tell for hard sciences since they are hard degrees there are less students willing to do them so at an institution like UCL - which attracts students after other institutions (e.g. oxbridge, imp) the students (and thus level of the course) is not the greatest worldwide.
Reply 45
do you know something about linguistics?
What about philosophy!

UCL is amongst the very best British institutions for undergraduate philosophy. For grad philosophy, it depends on what you wanna study.

The point being, philosophy has been overlooked.
130ss
I spud man on that.. maybe not english though

Why not? Someone else said on another thread that considering the applicants to places ratio, the overall success rate is about 7% and it has over 20 applicants per place.
Reply 48
rainbow drops
Why not? Someone else said on another thread that considering the applicants to places ratio, the overall success rate is about 7% and it has over 20 applicants per place.

:ditto:

I was tempted to flag 'em up in this, but thought someone else would sort it out. :smile:
zef99
:ditto:

I was tempted to flag 'em up in this, but thought someone else would sort it out. :smile:

Is your ego sufficiently stroked? :wink:
Reply 50
rainbow drops
Is your ego sufficiently stroked? :wink:

Oh yes...
Reply 51
Medicine, Philosophy, Economics
Reply 52
Definitely neuroscience and medicine. Could mention psychology as well, but would then seem biased, so choose not to.
Reply 53
RoflRofl
on behalf on l100 students I apologize for jake's behavior and wish you to not judge the course based on his er... interesting posts (maybe he was high or drunk?!).
English is defo competitive. Law, med, econ as well - there are a few i'm sure I missed out like art, architecture.... As far as i can tell for hard sciences since they are hard degrees there are less students willing to do them so at an institution like UCL - which attracts students after other institutions (e.g. oxbridge, imp) the students (and thus level of the course) is not the greatest worldwide.

The post is called 'The Best' UCL subjects. I just expressed my opinion and strongly believe L100 is the best subject at UCL. On a side point you have no right to apologise for L100 students.
Reply 54
jakezg
The post is called 'The Best' UCL subjects. I just expressed my opinion and strongly believe L100 is the best subject at UCL. On a side point you have no right to apologise for L100 students.

Your post deserved no response, it lacked logic and makes us all look bad. Stop telling people your econ if you want to act this way. It reflects badly on all of us.
This thread has been a cracking read.
Reply 56
RoflRofl
Your post deserved no response, it lacked logic and makes us all look bad. Stop telling people your econ if you want to act this way. It reflects badly on all of us.

Hardly lacked logic when the facts are there for all to see. I don't really care what you think as I am probablly a more accurate representation of an economics students than yourself.
Reply 57
jakezg
Hardly lacked logic when the facts are there for all to see. I don't really care what you think as I am probablly a more accurate representation of an economics students than yourself.

fact 1:
its about total applicants, not applicants per place
- the kind of logic that puts oxbridge below some poly's

I think thats enough right there. I hope to god you're not the representative.
RoflRofl
fact 1:
its about total applicants, not applicants per place
- the kind of logic that puts oxbridge below some poly's

I think thats enough right there. I hope to god you're not the representative.

He's probably more representative of someone with a gross attitude problem and a personality deficiency.
Reply 59
In the RAE, the outstanding UCL departments were:

Philosophy, Medicine, Economics, Law, and Architecture

Which sounds about right...firming for Philosophy 2010 :biggrin:

Peace x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending