Healthy meals for Cheap? Watch

Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys,

Finally decided my diet of frozen chips and cheese sandwhiches everyday probabley isnt the most healthy. Im by no means fat, infact i am pretty damn slim (god knows how), however I know I really need to eat better.

The only problem is everywhere i look, it seems healthy eating is just so expensive! I can eat 1pounds worth of frozen chips and thats enough food for an entire main meal. Hard to beat.

So was wondering if anyone has any tips for really cheap healthy eating.

Thanks guys!
IBK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Learn how to cook, few times will go wrong but trust me, its tastes better and you save money. Start with basics, sauces, pasta, rice before moving to fish etc. If you need some help I can drop some recipes or just google it.
mathlete
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
salmon (or atleast some type of fish)
protein rich meats (not factory battered - contains low protein because they aren't allowed to roam around, and are pumped with chemicals and growth enhancers)
eggs - vital source of protein, pay a few extra pennies for the organic/freerange
milk
fruit juice

(or multi vitamin tablets.. and do exercise - avoid saturated fat obviously..)

remember don't microwave your food too much, there's speculation on how the microwaves transform food (i.e. proteins and carbohydrates) and the effects it will have on your health - google for more info
Reue
Rep:
?
Theres no way i can afford the likes of Salmon or nonbattery meats

I dont mind trying to cook stuff, its just the cost element of purchasing all the ingrediants.
Rosaaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Theres no way i can afford the likes of Salmon or nonbattery meats

I dont mind trying to cook stuff, its just the cost element of purchasing all the ingrediants.
The cost of your medical bills will totally cancel out the small difference between battery chicken and free range chicken.
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rosaaa)
The cost of your medical bills will totally cancel out the small difference between battery chicken and free range chicken.
Medical bills?!
psychocustard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Medical bills?!
Scaremongering :yep:

Ok, if I were you, start off by getting a 1kg bag of wholewheat pasta - raises your blood glucose levels less than traditional white pasta.

Get some onions, tinned chopped tomatoes - the basic/value ranges will suffice, trust me! - tomato puree, any other veggies etc, and just try cooking it up and make some basic sauces.

As for chips, have you tried making your own? It's really easy, you just need a few potatoes, a baking tray, and some oil!

I'm now a master at cheap healthy eating haha, so if you want some help, PM me and I'll be more than happy to help
Turnor
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Frozen vegetables are always a lot cheaper than fresh if you have storage room.
Rosaaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Medical bills?!
Haha, I was only joking, sort of.
Was implying that if you continue to eat unhealthily you'll have a lot of problems and medical bills. I'm sure it won't get that bad at all.

A failed stab at a joke maybe. Sorry
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
to set yourself up for cooking might cost a little money at first because you will need to make sure you have a few things like below:

vegetable oil
olive oil
dried herbs - basil, oregano, parsley, thyme
spices - chilli powder, black pepper, paprika, curry powder cinnamon etc
lemon juice
stock cubes - beef, chicken, vegetable
lee and perrins worcestshire sauce
soy sauce
garlic
tomato puree
vinegar - malt and wine
mustard

And things to keep in your cupboard...
onions
chopped tomatoes
tins of tuna and other fish like mackerel
tins of beans like kidney beans, butterbeans, canellini
potatoes
rice - white, brown, risotto
pasta - a long one like spaghetti, and a shape
cous cous

I'm sure I've missed things out but if you start building up those things you can make meals from most things that are tasty and cheap.

Potato wedges - chop a couple of large potatoes into wedges (in half, in half again, in half again). put a little oil in a bowl, add some spices such as paprika, chilli powder, salt, pepper. cover the wedges in the oil and mix. Pop on a baking tray, put in the over at 200 and cook for about 30-40mins turning half way.

Pasta sauce - tin of chopped toms in a pan. Add a squirt of tom puree, pinch of oregano and basil. Some garlic (use puree if you want quick). simmer. Add to pasta as it is or add meatballs, or turn it into a bolognaise with onions and mince (use vege mince for super cheap or buy lean mince when on offer).

To make chilli, add a tin or two of beans (your choice) plus a good teaspoon of chilli powder and paprika (the smoked type is nice). Add mince for a meat version, just beans for a cheap version.

Roast veg - chop courgettes, peppers, onions (anything really). toss in a little oil, salt pepper, lemon juice, any herbs and spices. chuck on a baking tray and cook until tender and brown about half hour. Chuck in a lunch box in the fridge and eat with cous cous, put in pasta sauces, pop on a wrap with some chilli sauce and dollop of natural yohurt, so on.

Onion gravy - goes well with sausages if you have the cash, or big pile of mash if you don't. Fry sliced onions in a little oil and knob of butter on a low heat for about 20-30 mins til brown and lovely but not burnt. Add pint of beef stock and a teaspoon or so of gravy granules to thicken. Delicious.

Thai curry. Buy a jar of thai (green/red - red is hotter) curry paste. Fry tablespoon of paste in a pan with a little oil. Add veg, meat, fish (anything you like) add tin of coconut milk and some chicken/fish/vegetable stock. simmer. Eat with rice.

Risotto - once you can make one you can make many. Risotto needs a little liquid adding often instead of putting all the liquid on at once. Fry some onions (rough chop) in a little oil, add the rice and fry that in the oil as well for a couple of minutes. On a medium heat, start adding a little stock at a time. As it absorbs add a little more. Should take about 20 mins to become tended (taste) and it should be a little saucy but not wet and the rice should be soft but not mushy. Add lemon juice, or left over chicken, mushrooms, ham, peas anything really.

Eggs - scrambled, poached, boiled. Good source of protein

Porridge - with fruit and cinnamon. Half a cup oats, one cup milk. Simmer on medium heat stirring til it thickens. Add spices like cinnamon or syrup to taste.

So on and so forth...I will think of more.
Rosaaa
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Turnor)
Frozen vegetables are always a lot cheaper than fresh if you have storage room.
Yeah and most of the vitamins are lost.
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemily)
to set yourself up for cooking might cost a little money at first because you will need to make sure you have a few things like below:

vegetable oil
olive oil
dried herbs - basil, oregano, parsley, thyme
spices - chilli powder, black pepper, paprika, curry powder cinnamon etc
lemon juice
stock cubes - beef, chicken, vegetable
lee and perrins worcestshire sauce
soy sauce
garlic
tomato puree
vinegar - malt and wine
mustard

And things to keep in your cupboard...
onions
chopped tomatoes
tins of tuna and other fish like mackerel
tins of beans like kidney beans, butterbeans, canellini
potatoes
rice - white, brown, risotto
pasta - a long one like spaghetti, and a shape
cous cous

I'm sure I've missed things out but if you start building up those things you can make meals from most things that are tasty and cheap.

Potato wedges - chop a couple of large potatoes into wedges (in half, in half again, in half again). put a little oil in a bowl, add some spices such as paprika, chilli powder, salt, pepper. cover the wedges in the oil and mix. Pop on a baking tray, put in the over at 200 and cook for about 30-40mins turning half way.

Pasta sauce - tin of chopped toms in a pan. Add a squirt of tom puree, pinch of oregano and basil. Some garlic (use puree if you want quick). simmer. Add to pasta as it is or add meatballs, or turn it into a bolognaise with onions and mince (use vege mince for super cheap or buy lean mince when on offer).

Roast veg - chop courgettes, peppers, onions (anything really). toss in a little oil, salt pepper, lemon juice, any herbs and spices. chuck on a baking tray and cook until tender and brown about half hour. Chuck in a lunch box in the fridge and eat with cous cous, put in pasta sauces, pop on a wrap with some chilli sauce and dollop of natural yohurt, so on.

Onion gravy - goes well with sausages if you have the cash, or big pile of mash if you don't. Fry sliced onions in a little oil and knob of butter on a low heat for about 20-30 mins til brown and lovely but not burnt. Add pint of beef stock and a teaspoon or so of gravy granules to thicken. Delicious.

So on and so forth...I will think of more.

Ahh thats wicked thanks. Exactly the kind of info im looking for. Will pos rep tomorrow.
lemily
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rosaaa)
Yeah and most of the vitamins are lost.
According to who? If a vegetable is treated properly (AKA blanched correctly) and frozen extraordinarily quickly (as most are) then there is a negligible difference in vitamins. Plus if OP can only afford frozen veg, then any veg is better than no veg. Also eating frozen veg is better than eating out of season veg.
x.Crystal.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
This is what ive done, Ive replaced chips with vegetables, and ive banned pizza from my diet (except for treats). And just as simple thing like replacing chips with frozen veg (there is vast variety :P) and having that with your normal meal (mine usually consists of a portion of meat) thats made your whole meal that much healthier, then just have an apple or a piece of fruit for desert. Frozen veg FTW!
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go and buy a boots meal deal? :p:
x.Crystal.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
They are the best, and if you buy 6 in a month.. your 6th one is free, i always do that
Reue
Rep:
?
(Original post by Toiletpaper8)
Bit of a long distance for me to travel for a meal deal
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by x.Crystal.x)
They are the best, and if you buy 6 in a month.. your 6th one is free, i always do that

Or even better, but a bit stingy... Get 5 of your friends to pay for their meal deals using your boots card... and then you get a meal for FREE :eek:
Toiletpaper8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Reue)
Bit of a long distance for me to travel for a meal deal
Shame...

Boots should take home orders :p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (134)
18.51%
No (439)
60.64%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.86%

Watched Threads