The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Personally, I go for a beer, have a chat, just keep talking to my close friends.

What in particular is bothering you?
Reply 2
my current methods include long hot bubble baths, romance books and retail therapy (which is getting far too expensive as a form of stress relief!)
Reply 3
I rock climb and watch films. And walk enormous distances.
Reply 4
I smoke, drink and visit my pals
Reply 5
Take up a strenuous sport of your liking, kick boxing does the trick for me. Its physically tiring but keeps me happy.
Reply 6
I get blind drunk.
Reply 7
I moan for a good half an hour when I get in, then its out of my system!
Reply 8
Punch bag?
Renal
What in particular is bothering you?

just when i go to uni i get ill and so many people have told me to just do something a bit less stressful, tiring or requiring less memory oh well that and my doc said i can call him when i get ill again when i go back to uni. so i dunno whether medicine is worth it - dont get me wrong i like what i do.

so i was wondering if i could find an alternative way of destressing which doesnt involve drinking or bieng tired.
Reply 10
I go running, which is fantastic because even if I'm tired at the start, I feel really fantastic after a run, and also a lot less stressed.

Also watch things like Scrubs, read the newspaper, go shopping, etc. :smile:
Reply 11
I go for my troupe's training sessions..they really help, because I get to exercise, learn new tricks and basically just chat to my troupe mates! I don't fancy drinking/clubbing/smoking so I guess this is the only thing I could do. Other than that, going for TV nights in my Hall or generally spend a few hours in my flatmate's room.
Reply 12
I can't say I push myself massively hard. I do get very tired but I don't think I work ridiculous hours or anything.

Quite often I just have little naps which sometimes help. I read lots (books and trashy magazines), bake cakes and spend inordinate amounts of time on TSR. :o:
Reply 13
Hmm. Get a gym membership maybe. Thats if you have time/energy/money. 3 things that I never have when I'm stressed
trouble is i have to push myself harder because my memory has been destroyed.
i already play basketball for the uni and have a gym membership - i might try relaxing some more and have more sleep.

im determined im gonna make it, its just some people are giving me a hard time about my complete lack of health at the minute and i wanna come out the other side of medicine rather than die trying - its only a job afterall.
Reply 15
fairy spangles
Hey i thought id ask how far people push themselves when doing medicine and how do you de-stress?
Reason bieng im beginning to wonder if all this is worth it - maybe its just whats been talked into me lately but maybe i just had to know.

Good friends (inc some of the non-medic variety, to remind you there IS more to life...) I think it's the only way. I'm currently going through an "is it all worth it" stage, but as you say - probably pushing too hard at the moment and not balancing it out with enough me time... Plus I've not had chance to start revision proper yet, which really isn't helping... :no: :no: :no:
Do you play a musical instrument? Probs not worth taking one up just for de-stressing, but when I get stressed out I play my cello. I also love baths but my bath here is a bit mankey so only really do that home. And I love napping!!! I also like shouting. And kiss cube. I am only a first year though so don't exactly have a lot of stress.
Reply 17
Fluffy
Good friends (inc some of the non-medic variety, to remind you there IS more to life...) I think it's the only way. I'm currently going through an "is it all worth it" stage, but as you say - probably pushing too hard at the moment and not balancing it out with enough me time... Plus I've not had chance to start revision proper yet, which really isn't helping... :no: :no: :no:

Part of my rock-climbing thing is seeing the guys from the wall. There's nurses, lawyers, engineers, writers, academics, teachers (Well, anything you care to name really) but the climbing wall is something of a parallel universe away from all of that. Plus the competition there usually brings me down a peg or two when I'm getting above myself.
Reply 18
Going home and seeing friends. Home being southampton and london now :s. Seeing my nan destresses me briefly and then she seems to act as a catalyst for stress lol.

I love dancing. It really helps with my stress levels. And I love a good whinge..
I go troll people. Nothing more de-stressing than stressing someone else.

Latest

Trending

Trending