Got torpedoed by Mock. Watch

flglxpstbxkdls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I’d been psychologically and spiritually murdered by horrendous Mock results.
I had to do UK university interview, extended essay, and applications for U.S. schools (with a lot of essays) over the Christmas vacation. And … right after I came back, I took mock, and the results are horrible. I got 7s in HL History and SL English and got 6 in SL French… but I am an excessively humanities-oriented person, which made my other results look disgusting (SL Business, HL Math, HL Chemistry, and I don’t even want to mention the grades I got). For the internal assessments, I got 7s in every subject which was one of the reasons why I couldn’t revise any bit for the Mock.
I can cruise through the humanities.
But for both social and natural sciences, I have to study.
I heard that the mock results are sent to Geneva…
But I think it’s so unfair for me to be marked down if I’m on the borderline in the actual exam because of the fact that I couldn’t revise properly for the Mock in January right after being absorbed with EE and University application.

Can I still improve a lot? (by the margin of 2~3 from each of the science subject) for the real exam?
Any experience of people who did poorly on Mock but did great on the real IB?
What is the actual function of sending scores to Geneva at this point?
Any realistic influence on the final results?
(I am sorry but … yes I am in panic)
Tom4510
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What makes you any different from everyone else who's been dealing with university applications? Should they mark everyone up because of it?

Get your head down and work. Thats the answer.
Samsoonie
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flglxpstbxkdls)
I had to do UK university interview, extended essay, and applications for U.S. schools (with a lot of essays) over the Christmas vacation. And … right after I came back, I took mock, and the results are horrible. I got 7s in HL History and SL English and got 6 in SL French… but I am an excessively humanities-oriented person, which made my other results look disgusting (SL Business, HL Math, HL Chemistry, and I don’t even want to mention the grades I got). For the internal assessments, I got 7s in every subject which was one of the reasons why I couldn’t revise any bit for the Mock.
But I think it’s so unfair for me to be marked down if I’m on the borderline in the actual exam because of the fact that I couldn’t revise properly for the Mock in January right after being absorbed with EE and University application.

Can I still improve a lot? (by the margin of 2~3 from each of the science subject) for the real exam?
I cannot fully answer your questions since Im in IB1.

But you will be fine considering you pay much attention to things that do count (EE, IAs, College Apps). And at least how you perform in the mock is your own ability, some people in IB2 at my school just wrote down the markschemes and got caught

Stay positive, you will be fine and make it to Oxford
moneyfaery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You mean predicted grades? I'm pretty sure those are only used in case they lose a paper (so you better hope that they don't). Otherwise, there's really no effect on your marks. I was predicted 5 in bio :rolleyes: but got a high 7 (judging from component grades).

Your predicted marks MAY affect university offers though, especially since you're applying international?
eastisred
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You aren't the only one put down by the excessive workload of IB. There are also many other students out there who have workloads just as great as you (like me :P). Honestly, I would say getting 7,6,6 for three subjects is still quite an achievement if you didn't study for the mocks.

Is Geneva the headquarters of IB? I thought it was Cardiff but I've heard that if you are borderline on any final results then they could alter it depending on your predicted score. Anyone can improve their scores providing they concentrate fully from now till the end of exams (no offence but you sound a bit like a nerd so you have every chance of getting those 7s for natural sciences ).
Kreuzuerk
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's only a fricking mock FFS.
ragnar_jonsson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it would be highly unfair to 'increase' your mock grades.
and as for 3 grades <6, you should have been studying continually (since the beginning of DP).
I understand it is A LOT of work, and I know that I work ca. 4 hours a day on additional study, with EC's and friends... but you just have to put your all into the IB finals, and then, hope for the best
Cathinka
Report 9 years ago
I think they will only look at your mocks if you are ill around the time of the real exams. and don't worry: if you really work hard you can still improve! I also got more points in my actual exams than in my mocks. BUT: this means you will not have a life besides IB from now on.
Good lucK!
flglxpstbxkdls
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thanks peeps...now I better go do some work huh, L'Optimisme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
How many grades do people tend to raise from mocks to the May exams?

Is it realistically possible to raise 2 or even 3?
rubii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's just a mock.
the point of a mock is to bring you back to reality.
a lot of biologists in my year in this mock apparently messed up too
I would be happy if I get a 4/5 in my Physics mock.

I doubt the mocks will matter for your final grades, well unless you get into some car accident and you cant do the final exams. I highly doubt that will happen. lol.

I can tell you, this mock will do you good, don't panic, but instead use that time to study harder!!

in my GCSEs mocks
Eng Lit - D
Eng Lang - B
D.T - B
Science - B

Actual GCSEs outcome
Eng Lit - A
Eng Lang - A
D.T - A*
Science - A

if I hadn't gotten that freaking D, I would NEVER have revised properly for Eng Lit. Thank god for the poor grade in mocks .

and sorry but i dont think work load should be an excuse...since everyone does the mock with like tons of workload.
we only got one day of study leave prior to the exam, and the two weeks before we barely had much revision
k4di3
Report 9 years ago
I got really bad results on my mocks too. But looking at the paper I wouldn't say it was that much harder than the passpapers I was doing. Which is what freaks me out. I can't get this result on the real exam!!
I believe it IS possible to raise 2 grades. My working grade is a 6/7 anyway, but somehow I screwed up the mocks and got a 4.
jc_bach
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well if your real exam grade is 2 points away from your predicted grade (for your individual subjects) then IBO will check all your IAs and your exams for that subject and like recorrect it, then deciding whether or not to change your grade.
johan_89
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got 42 in my mock, ended up with 40 (although I had some mitigating circumstances). The same thing happened to a few others in my class. However, you can't generalise, I'm sure you will meet the offer if you work hard!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (386)
79.75%
Leave (98)
20.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise