The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
To be fair, I spoke with a guy at UEA on a campus tour who had a shared room and he had a great time, and his roomate was a good guy and they got along well.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by UEAAccommodation
PM me with your details. I need your full name, date of birth and your UEA student number. I can then look into it for you.

update no' 2: Sorted it out over the phone this morning, should I expect a conformation e-mail?
Original post by WhyWhyWhy?
...;

I'm really sorry that you didn't get one of your top choices from your application form. I assure you (and I thank Kpwxx, Jakelee, Pigwigeon and anyone else that has given you advice so far) that we do, wherever possible try to give students the highest available choice from their application forms but unfortunetely this cannot always happen especially when we are 100% full like we will be this year.

As I think you have already been told getting you into a room to yourself is one of our highest priorities. We know as well as you do that the situation that you have found yourself in is not ideal. If we could we would make sure that every student had their own individual room however that would leave a fair few empty beds in the twin that we could help other homeless students with. We have a duty of care to ensure that everyone that holds a guarantee of a bed in our residences gets one.

When we have finished allocating beds to all of our guaranteed students the process of moving people around campus into single rooms begins. This could even be before the main arrival days if we have time. Even if you do not have a single room on your arrival you will be asked to fill out a room change form to say that you would like to put in a single as soon as possible.

At the end of the arrivals process we will find that we have a few empty rooms because some students did not turn up or left UEA because they decided University was not for them (perhaps to get a job instead for instance). It is these rooms that we would be able to offer to students in your situation as you would be one of the highest priorty groups for us to rehouse.

One thing I will say, and you won't believe me now but I assure you it is true, is that when we do offer the single rooms to students a large majority of them decide to stay in the twin. Whether this is because they have worked out that the monetary savings are worth it or that they get on with their roomate and flatmates it happens more often than not. Of course there are still some that want to move but this just means that there would be more choice for them.

I do understand your disapointment but please try not dwell on it, and don't let it ruin what is a very exciting time of your life. We are here to help you and we do listen to what you have to say. We don't like having to put you in your last choice of room any more than you like being put there. It is much better for us to have happy residents that unhappy ones.

I hope that this puts your mind at rest a little but if you want to discuss this further please PM me and I can give you my phone number and I can go through any concerns that you might have with you.

As for layout of the room being different on two different plans. That will be because there are two different layouts of the twin rooms. It varies slightly from room to room.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by imperial maniac
update no' 2: Sorted it out over the phone this morning, should I expect a conformation e-mail?

No, we don't send you anything else now. If you have your offer letter and you have sorted out your acceptance you are good to go. See you later in month when you arrive.
Reply 2564
Original post by kpwxx
http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/livinginuearesidences/post

Under "residence" the bit you have in your offer is fine, you don't need to know your flat number or room number because it doesn't go there, it goes to the post room; they just use the name of your residence to sort them so they have less people to look through for your post!

Unless you're in Mary Chapman, in which case I guess you'll have to wait... or put a random number and go ask the people there if you can retrieve it from their box! Or I suppose you could put down a campus residence and just collect it from the post room for this one case, though not sure what the official stance on this would be...

Don't forget to put your school abbreviation after your name!
xxx

Original post by Ralpharm
Address for students living on campus or the University Village:

[Full Name] [School abbreviation eg SCI, LIT, MED, PHA]
[Residence]
Norwich NR4 7TJ

Aaah okay, I'm in University Village so I can use that address, thank you both so much! :smile:
Will we have an Ethernet cable in our rooms to connect our PCs to the internet or will we need to buy one?
Original post by diamonddust
Will we have an Ethernet cable in our rooms to connect our PCs to the internet or will we need to buy one?

You should have one in the room. If it's not there come and see us in the accommodation office and we'll give you one.

Once again, thank you for providing me with a comprehensive response. After recovering from the initial shock, I have come to terms with it, especially after having my mind put at ease by the very helpful UEA Accommodation department who I had called earlier today.

An unfortunate situation, but one that could have been made worse by an incompetent University. Thankfully, in this instance, I have nothing to worry about! Thanks for being so forthcoming with advice and information.
Original post by WhyWhyWhy?
Once again, thank you for providing me with a comprehensive response. After recovering from the initial shock, I have come to terms with it, especially after having my mind put at ease by the very helpful UEA Accommodation department who I had called earlier today.

An unfortunate situation, but one that could have been made worse by an incompetent University. Thankfully, in this instance, I have nothing to worry about! Thanks for being so forthcoming with advice and information.

No problem, let us know if you have any further questions.
You should have one in the room. If it's not there come and see us in the accommodation office and we'll give you one.

:h: Thank you! Yaaay, there's something that exists that I don't need to buy! :biggrin: :tongue:
Reply 2570
Original post by Ralpharm
Just realised "UV C-A" stands for University Village Courtyard A , It wasn't fully written in my offer letter. We're neighbours :tongue:

We are! Sep 21st isn't coming fast enough.

"Sep 21st" :boing:"Me"
Reply 2571
Hello, this question is for Mr. UEAAccom.

When I checked my personal details shown on my eVision account, I saw that my term-time address is the same as my home address while I'll be living on campus. Is this a problem and how can I amend it?

Thank you.
Original post by lylydo
Hello, this question is for Mr. UEAAccom.

When I checked my personal details shown on my eVision account, I saw that my term-time address is the same as my home address while I'll be living on campus. Is this a problem and how can I amend it?

Thank you.

It will probably automatically amend itself after you move in. At present none of your rooms are confirmed as you haven't signed a licence and moved in so you don't really have a"term time" address yet.

You will probably also find that none of the payment options for your room work yet either since we won't bill you anything until you move in.
Reply 2573
X

Soz if this has been asked before, but I've accepted an offer for accommodation at Nelson Court, and I met somebody today whilst shopping who said that Nelson only has microwaves, and no ovens/cookers.

Is that true? I was gonna start getting kitchen stuff together soon and I thought I'd better check that I can use them before I start buying frying pans and saucepans and stuff :colondollar:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2574
Original post by bluish
What!? How on earth are you supposed to cook anything with just a microwave??

I would presume that people bring things along with them like George Foreman grills to make it easier.

I don't know for sure, that's why I'm asking :tongue:
Okay this conversation has been had a million times before and yes you do only get a microwave but it's a convection one which means that it cab be used as oven too. They're very easy to use and you can cook pretty much everything in them. If you nbring baking trays just make sure they're round ones.

You'll also have hobs so yes bring saucepans/frying pans etc
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2576
Original post by coolh5000
Okay this conversation has been had a million times before and yes you do only get a microwave but it's a convection one which means that it cab be used as oven too. They're very easy to use and you can cook pretty much everything in them. If you nbring baking trays just make sure they're round ones.

You'll also have hobs so yes bring saucepans/frying pans etc

Thanks for the info. Do you mean baking trays for the microwave, because the ones I have at the moment are metal :redface:
Reply 2577
Original post by Nut.
Thanks for the info. Do you mean baking trays for the microwave, because the ones I have at the moment are metal :redface:

Yeah she did :smile:

Of course you can't put metal ones in while it's on the microwave setting, that would not be enjoyable... but on the convection setting it works the same as a normal oven.

And god, imagine a student house without hobs... no stir fry, no curry, no chilli, no noodles... NO PASTA!!!
Reply 2578
Original post by kpwxx
Yeah she did :smile:

Of course you can't put metal ones in while it's on the microwave setting, that would not be enjoyable... but on the convection setting it works the same as a normal oven.

And god, imagine a student house without hobs... no stir fry, no curry, no chilli, no noodles... NO PASTA!!!

Oh I see, so on the microwave there is the choice to microwave OR have the convection setting on. I'd never heard of convection microwaves before :colondollar:

Thank youuu :h:
Reply 2579
The microwaves are so so easy to use, and you can cook anything you would in a normal oven in them. They're actually pretty efficient - heat up quickly, and the defrost setting is good, defrosts way quicker than my microwave at home! They're fine though, just chose the oven setting, set your temperature and they'll heat up in about 5/10 mins, then you're good to go like any normal oven.

Latest

Trending

Trending