The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
Can't talk about the exact temp but remember you aren't at uni over the summer nor does it usually get that hot in April/May that you would need air con.

The temperature thingy never came across my mind until I talked to a friend who's also living on campus at another uni and said that in her accom the temp is always kept at 25*C max in the summer. My license is actually 50 weeks so I'll be staying throughout the summer, but anyway with your reasssurance I think I won't have much to worry about it. Thanks :biggrin:

I have another question about the facebook group for each residence. I suppose that its for every communication between the students who are living in the house, and that we can just freely post there and say hi to each other. I always took it that way until I got into my residence's facebook. Its been quite a few days since we are let in but no one has spoken a word. That scares lol and confuses me somehow, I was waiting for this fb for ages to greet everyone, but now I hesitate and start to think "oh wait... do we need to wait for the Resident Coordinator to facilitate any talk first?" :confused:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 3981
Original post by pimtpopnrg
The temperature thingy never came across my mind until I talked to a friend who's also living on campus at another uni and said that in her accom the temp is always kept at 25*C max in the summer. My license is actually 50 weeks so I'll be staying throughout the summer, but anyway with your reasssurance I think I won't have much to worry about it. Thanks :biggrin:

I have another question about the facebook group for each residence. I suppose that its for every communication between the students who are living in the house, and that we can just freely post there and say hi to each other. I always took it that way until I got into my residence's facebook. Its been quite a few days since we are let in but no one has spoken a word. That scares lol and confuses me somehow, I was waiting for this fb for ages to greet everyone, but now I hesitate and start to think "oh wait... do we need to wait for the Resident Coordinator to facilitate any talk first?" :confused:

Nah, just say something if you want to, everyone else is probably waiting just like you! Also some people will join the group but actually prefer to just meet people on the day as they find it more interesting and exciting, so that may be why some aren't replying :smile:. As for temperature, if it does get a bit hot then fans don't cost very much anyway, from wilko or asda or similar. But I have only ever heard of people saying it's too hot in the ziggurats (as they are very greenhouse like!!!). Also please excuse the lack of paragraphs, the post editor seems to not like me today... won't work in chrome at all and in IE no enters allowed. xxx

ah I see. I take it your a Postgrad then? If next summer is anything like this summer then it could be quite hot inside without air con in July/August but then this year could have been a one off. Certainly the rest of the year in Britten I wasn't too hot or too cold.

And feel free to go ahead and post. Assuming your a postgrad and therefore international as your in halls (as they are the only postgrads allowed in halls) - from my experience international students are less keen than others to talk to people of different nationalaties , perhaps due to shyness or their conversational English not being too great. None of the internationals in my halls facebook group said hi.
Hey.... can anyone tell me if there'll be an iron/ ironing board in Norfolk Terrace/ halls of residence or can you bring your own? I have to say I avoid ironing like the plague but we have to wear a uniform so just wondered what's what... Thanks xx
Original post by cainsworth2
Hey.... can anyone tell me if there'll be an iron/ ironing board in Norfolk Terrace/ halls of residence or can you bring your own? I have to say I avoid ironing like the plague but we have to wear a uniform so just wondered what's what... Thanks xx

halls usually provide an ironing board but no iron. of course if you wanted to bring your own ironing board you could. I too avoid ironing and I find if you hang clothes to dry on a clothes horse rather than putting them through the tumble dryer they wont crease as badly so shouldn't need ironing.
ah I see. I take it your a Postgrad then? If next summer is anything like this summer then it could be quite hot inside without air con in July/August

Yes I am :tongue: if it gets too hot then can we ask the Accom Office to provide a fan or we have to go buy one?

And feel free to go ahead and post. Assuming your a postgrad and therefore international as your in halls (as they are the only postgrads allowed in halls) - from my experience international students are less keen than others to talk to people of different nationalaties , perhaps due to shyness or their conversational English not being too great. None of the internationals in my halls facebook group said hi.

Ahh so I guess this is what people always refer to about quiet int'l students in halls :tumble: lol also I assume Victory House has often been reserved for int'l students, no wonder when I read through this thread I could barely find anyone share their experience living there. Hopefully when we actually move in my flatmates wont be as this shy as they seem on fb :redface:
halls usually provide an ironing board but no iron. of course if you wanted to bring your own ironing board you could. I too avoid ironing and I find if you hang clothes to dry on a clothes horse rather than putting them through the tumble dryer they wont crease as badly so shouldn't need ironing.

Ah brill thanks jelly ;-)... I don't mind bringing one, just wasn't sure if you'd be allowed with fire regulations etc. x
Yes I am :tongue: if it gets too hot then can we ask the Accom Office to provide a fan or we have to go buy one?

Ahh so I guess this is what people always refer to about quiet int'l students in halls :tumble: lol also I assume Victory House has often been reserved for int'l students, no wonder when I read through this thread I could barely find anyone share their experience living there. Hopefully when we actually move in my flatmates wont be as this shy as they seem on fb :redface:

ive never needed to ask so i dont know if they have them to lend. it was undergrad in 2011/12 and certainly fairly lively then. and remember if things don't work out with your flatmates there are always other ways of making friends like societies and course mates
Reply 3988
Hey, please how far is the village from buildings ie where physio would be taught (if you know). And also can I know what basic facilities will be provided that's :smile:
thanks x
Reply 3989
Original post by A_Dee
Hey, please how far is the village from buildings ie where physio would be taught (if you know). And also can I know what basic facilities will be provided that's :smile:
thanks x

The village is about 10 mins walk from the centre of campus, where the lecture theatres and arts building are - many seminars and lectures are held here. It's about 2 extra minutes to the buildings along 'Chancellors Drive' where you may also have lectures or seminars - I think a lot of physio is down here :smile:

You have your room with a bathroom pod. The pod has a shower, sink, toilet and a small shelf, as well as a hook. There is a wardrobe which is not very wide but quite deep, so has quite a bit of floor space and shelf space but not too much hanging room. There is a full length mirror on the back of the wardrobe door. There is a long desk with plenty of space on it, a shallow drawer and a deep drawer, some space for boxes under the desk, a single bed with a tiny bedside shelf, more storage space under the bed (which lifts up) and a bin, and an ethernet cable to plug your computer in to the uni's network. There are several plug sockets but if you use a lot of electrical things at once an extension lead might be useful.

There is an ironing board but no iron in the flat. There is a hoover which you need to ask the cleaner to use if you want to hoover your room. There is a microwave in the kitchen which also works as an oven, as well as a grill and 4 hobs. There are a few cupboards, some counter space, two sinks, shelves under the counters for storage and I believe 2 fridge freezers. Plus a table and chairs.

You may have a toaster and kettle too, it seems to vary. I'd wait and see what's there when you arrive!

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
The village is about 10 mins walk from the centre of campus, where the lecture theatres and arts building are - many seminars and lectures are held here. It's about 2 extra minutes to the buildings along 'Chancellors Drive' where you may also have lectures or seminars - I think a lot of physio is down here :smile:

You have your room with a bathroom pod. The pod has a shower, sink, toilet and a small shelf, as well as a hook. There is a wardrobe which is not very wide but quite deep, so has quite a bit of floor space and shelf space but not too much hanging room. There is a full length mirror on the back of the wardrobe door. There is a long desk with plenty of space on it, a shallow drawer and a deep drawer, some space for boxes under the desk, a single bed with a tiny bedside shelf, more storage space under the bed (which lifts up) and a bin, and an ethernet cable to plug your computer in to the uni's network. There are several plug sockets but if you use a lot of electrical things at once an extension lead might be useful.

There is an ironing board but no iron in the flat. There is a hoover which you need to ask the cleaner to use if you want to hoover your room. There is a microwave in the kitchen which also works as an oven, as well as a grill and 4 hobs. There are a few cupboards, some counter space, two sinks, shelves under the counters for storage and I believe 2 fridge freezers. Plus a table and chairs.

You may have a toaster and kettle too, it seems to vary. I'd wait and see what's there when you arrive!

xxx

What a detailed description! :eek:

If I closed my eyes and someone read that out loud I could probably imagine it with great accuracy.
Reply 3991
Original post by WhatDoIWrite
What a detailed description! :eek:

If I closed my eyes and someone read that out loud I could probably imagine it with great accuracy.

Thanks lol. I have time to kill right now, thought I may as well go the whole way! Also kind of a challenge to myself to remember it all :biggrin:

xxx
Reply 3992
Original post by kpwxx
Thanks lol. I have time to kill right now, thought I may as well go the whole way! Also kind of a challenge to myself to remember it all :biggrin:

xxx

Thanks, that was more than helpful. I'm absolutely buzzing and can't wait! X:smile::smile:
and remember if things don't work out with your flatmates there are always other ways of making friends like societies and course mates

yeah sure, im already excited about joining clubs & societies! :grin:
I finally received my email after what seemed like a decade of checking my junk mail on my email. And I got my first choice! Whoever is in Norfolk terrace see you guys there!
Reply 3995
Original post by Nikolas147
I finally received my email after what seemed like a decade of checking my junk mail on my email. And I got my first choice! Whoever is in Norfolk terrace see you guys there!

I'm in Norfolk :biggrin:
Reply 3996
Finally got my offer this morning for Paston House. Any former or soon-to-be residents? What's it like? Good things, bad things? Cheers
Reply 3997
So I know I've got an en-suite room in the University Village (my first choice) but that's all I know... I haven't been notified of the exact building at all. Is this normal?
Reply 3998
Original post by Aderyn
So I know I've got an en-suite room in the University Village (my first choice) but that's all I know... I haven't been notified of the exact building at all. Is this normal?

It is, we get our flat and room the day we move in :smile:
Original post by Pyroma
Finally got my offer this morning for Paston House. Any former or soon-to-be residents? What's it like? Good things, bad things? Cheers

Not been in there but its similar to all the other new ensuite campus halls (Britten, Victory, Colman, Kett) - main pros- modern, hot water dispenser in kitchen for instant hot water, 5 minutes at most from the Square, rooms are a decent size.

Only bad point really I can think of is that there isn't a massive ammount of storage space in the new ensuites, the wardrobe was quite small so I couldn't hang all my clothes up but that wasn't a huge problem.

Other than that it really boils down to how well you get on with your flatmates as to what your experience there is like.

Latest

Trending

Trending