The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by jelly1000
Do you have lockers in your kitchen? Because I saw lockers in the kitchen of one of the halls and I was wondering if they were in all of them.

Yep, we have lockable cupboards, there are 8 in my flat so some of us have 2! We've not really had much of an issue with stealing food or using each others things without asking. Some of my bread and butter was eaten but that was by one of my flatmates friends who thought they were his when they were drunk and he was very apologetic!

The one thing that does annoy me is freezer space... there's 8 of us and 6 smallish freezer drawers and when one of your flatmates lives off chicken dippers and pizza it doesn't leave much room, so I can't imagine how difficult it must be in a 12 person flat!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by LooCee
Yep, we have lockable cupboards, there are 8 in my flat so some of us have 2! We've not really had much of an issue with stealing food or using each others things without asking. Some of my bread and butter was eaten but that was by one of my flatmates friends who thought they were his when they were drunk and he was very apologetic!

The one thing that does annoy me is freezer space... there's 8 of us and 6 smallish freezer drawers and when one of your flatmates lives off chicken dippers and pizza it doesn't leave much room, so I can't imagine how difficult it must be in a 12 person flat!

are you in the village though?
Reply 1062
are you in the village though?

No Colman which is ensuite campus, as I said above :smile:
Original post by LooCee
No Colman which is ensuite campus, as I said above :smile:

apologies, i didnt register that.
Reply 1064
Original post by LooCee
The only safety issue in our kitchen is the grill, sometimes you walk in the kitchen and it feels like a sauna and it's usually because someone left the grill on - it gets very hot very quickly!

The microwave has never been a rpoblem for us, except it doesnt spin on its own so we have to manually turn the food half way through cooking. Regarding the grill- I like how when its on you can stand by the hob and feel your skin n your face get warm- great in the winter but not so nice when we first oved in.

Believe it or not I've never actually seen a lift outside the academic buildings, just the main stairwell outside Constable and the other main residential blocks.
Original post by Jaredss

Believe it or not I've never actually seen a lift outside the academic buildings, just the main stairwell outside Constable and the other main residential blocks.

Not even the big glass one in the middle of the main street?
So:

Theres no ovens?

Can you choose where to stay specifically or do you just mention village or campus etc?

What are the smallest number of people that can share a flat?
Reply 1067
Original post by Chunkeymonkey62
So:

Theres no ovens?

Can you choose where to stay specifically or do you just mention village or campus etc?

What are the smallest number of people that can share a flat?

It's a dual microwave / convection oven. Sometimes it's a microwave, sometimes it's an oven.

You can list in order of preference. It's a good idea to actually visit first or at least look at the map to find out what block is what, since when you come to book accommodation there is a list of names but you'll have no idea where any of them are.

I think 8 in the Village. But sometimes not all the flats are occupied.
Original post by Jez RR
It's a dual microwave / convection oven. Sometimes it's a microwave, sometimes it's an oven.

You can list in order of preference. It's a good idea to actually visit first or at least look at the map to find out what block is what, since when you come to book accommodation there is a list of names but you'll have no idea where any of them are.

I think 8 in the Village. But sometimes not all the flats are occupied.

I was under the impression that you just chose the type i.e. village ensuite, or campus standard, or campus ensuite e.c.t rather than the actual block.
I was under the impression that you just chose the type i.e. village ensuite, or campus standard, or campus ensuite e.c.t rather than the actual block.

Yes this :smile:

And I think the village ranges from 6 to 8, so 6 is the smallest number of people to a flat.
Reply 1070
Original post by UEAAccommodation
Not even the big glass one in the middle of the main street?

To be honest I always assume its a nice looking pillar- never seen it in use and I'm incredibly blind when I'm walking ( my excuse- im male therefore cannot multitask )

Original post by Chunkeymonkey62
So:

Theres no ovens?

The microwaves function fully as a convection oven, a seperate microwave or a combination of the two. Basically experiment during freshers week and you'll unlock the secrets of cooking with it
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1071
Original post by LooCee

Answer: very! The kitchens would really benefit from another little freezer, it can be a lot more cost effective to buy frozen food sometimes, so not being able to since you only really have half a freezer drawer is a pain. in. the. bum.
Reply 1072
Original post by Lucyyy
Answer: very! The kitchens would really benefit from another little freezer, it can be a lot more cost effective to buy frozen food sometimes, so not being able to since you only really have half a freezer drawer is a pain. in. the. bum.

Definitely agree, I try and make big meals and freeze portions but it can be difficult to fit them in. 3 frozen portions of lasagne in small tupperware tubs can take up 1/2 a freezer drawer on their own. Plus you could take advantage of more offers on things, there are quite often 2 for 1 offers on mince and other frozen foods but I can never take advantage because there's no room to fit them in. We take everything out of it's packaging and are constantly trying to re-pack things but we still struggle. God forbid if someone decides to buy ice cream, it takes up the whole drawer!
Reply 1073
I was wondering if those doing nursing and other subjects that have a longer year can still choose any accomodation or are they restricted to certain ones because of the need to be their longer?
Where's the best place to stay at UEA? Is there a certain area where law students stay?
Reply 1075
Original post by mhk123
I was wondering if those doing nursing and other subjects that have a longer year can still choose any accomodation or are they restricted to certain ones because of the need to be their longer?

You can still chose any accommodation, just you'll move in earlier than the others in your flat (and stay longer, if applicable - I'm not quite sure how the year for nursing works but I know the university caters to this with regards to accommodation).

Original post by High As A Kite
Where's the best place to stay at UEA? Is there a certain area where law students stay?

Really depends on your budget and what you want from your room! Eg, if you're not fussed about having an ensuite or want to save a few pennies then Norfolk/Suffolk terrace are great (also far better for parties due to the flat layout, just saying..), if you want an ensuite but on the cheap(ish) side, the village is a good choice, if saving money isn't a massive issue then all the campus ensuite halls are great. There's several other choices, but where ever you end up, you won't be segregated by subject - you can't really chose exactly which accommodation you want with UEA anyway (for instance, if you chose campus ensuite you could end up in any of 8 halls) - it works well this way since UEA then ensures there's a fair mix of people from all manner of subjects in each flat, where possible.

If you want to find out a little more about the different types of accommodation then try this: http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/student+residences
Reply 1076
Original post by mhk123

You have to fill in a separate form (Health Undergraduate Accommodation Application Form (APF)) but as far as I am aware, you have the same choices as everyone else. Although having said that, it might be that you don't have ALL the options; not 100% on this. However, for nursing/medicine they put people in to one house. So for example, if you pick en-suite campus you will be with other medical type people. It's because of the extended hours/unsociable shifts mainly I think, combined with the fact that your contract is longer. I'm pretty sure there are non-medical type students in those blocks as well, so it's not all nurses!

This is all going on a friend of mine who did nursing.

Sorry I'm not so exact; if you want more facts give the accommodation office an email (or wait for them to reply on here!) they are very helpful and clear :smile:

Original post by High As A Kite

As for law, they are all mixed in- we had a law student in our block of flats in the village last year. As for what's best, have a look through this thread. There are a lot of pros and cons listed everywhere, they all have their merits and different atmospheres, so different ones are best for different people. I like the village ^^.
Original post by Lucyyy
You can n all the caerent types of accommodation then try this: http://www.uea.ac.uk/accommodation/student+residences

ohh, thanks for the reply :smile: I dont think I could live without an ensuite having had one for a long time!

Reagardless of price, which ensuite accomadation would you say was the best? (for social reasons, cleanliness :s-smilie: ladies :hubba: lol kidding )
Original post by Lucyyy

Original post by Lucyyy
You can still chose any accommodation, just you'll move in earlier than the others in your flat (and stay longer, if applicable - I'm not quite sure how the year for nursing works but I know the university caters to this with regards to accommodation).

Original post by kpwxx
You have to fill in a separate form (Health Undergraduate Accommodation Application Form (APF)) but as far as I am aware, you have the same choices as everyone else. Although having said that, it might be that you don't have ALL the options; not 100% on this. However, for nursing/medicine they put people in to one house. So for example, if you pick en-suite campus you will be with other medical type people. It's because of the extended hours/unsociable shifts mainly I think, combined with the fact that your contract is longer. I'm pretty sure there are non-medical type students in those blocks as well, so it's not all nurses!

This is all going on a friend of mine who did nursing.

Sorry I'm not so exact; if you want more facts give the accommodation office an email (or wait for them to reply on here!) they are very helpful and clear :smile:

As a medic I only had 4 accommodation types to chose from (village/campus ensuite/campus standard/campus shared room) but I don't know if this is the same for nursing :dontknow:
Whoa flicking back through the pages, people are naming so many different places!

Can someone break it down please?

Do you get given a preference, then allocated a random place?

Latest

Trending

Trending