The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
Original post by UEAAccommodation
OK, I've spoken to the census people for you on this and they say that it's probably a good idea to to still sign the form even if you fill it out online. They are going to find out for certain for me tonight but I would sign it and put it back in the envelope when you bring it in to us.

Right, will do. Thanks for that.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by kpwxx
Great post, sums it up very well :smile:

There's also a small corner shop and a pharmacy not more than 5 minutes walk (in the direction away from the village. I lived there last year but only know about this shop cause I got the 21/22 bus t my fiance's house!

Thanks for the help again - this is all really useful to know to help me decide between them. :smile:

I think I'm now leaning more towards the village as the first choice...
Reply 1102
Original post by UEAAccommodation
I've just spoken to the census man who has set up residence in our back office so have an answer for you!

He says that you can just get away with putting University of East Anglia Halls of Residence and leave it at that if you like. However your actual postal address would be more accurate. I know the village has a different physical postcode but don't worry about that.

In case you have forgotten its (and this goes for everyone that didn't live in Mary Chapman Court):

(Your name)
(Your Hall - Don't worry about your room number if you don't remember it)
Norwich
Norfolk
NR4 7TJ

For those who were in MCC its

(Your name)
Mary Chapman Court
Duke Street
Norwich
Norfolk
NR3 3DX

Thank you very much ^^ I'm so worried about filling the form in wrong lol, it feels so important.
Hii, does anyone know what the shower/toilet/bathroom situation is like at Norfolk/Suffolk terrace? I know they're shared but are they nice or kind of dingy and gross?
Also what is it like to get to sleep at night there as it is right on the main campus and i was a bit concerned that when you want a good night's sleep it's just impossible cause of people up and about all night.
I also saw the steps down to the halls at Norfolk/suffolk do these cause problems when you've had a little bit to drink? They looked pretty fatal!!

Thanks!
Reply 1104
goofy-blues

I saw some of the bathrooms on an open day, they looked really nice :smile: Nice clean blue and white tiles, plenty of space. In the flat I saw it was two bathrooms with shower/sink/toilet and then an additional toilet. They were pretty big too- there was a clothes horse standing in one bathroom so more roomy than any of the other accommodation! And very nice looking.
I keep marvelling at how fantastically cheap UEA's accomodation is! Another reason to make damn sure I get in... Kent's prices are extortionate.
Original post by diamonddust
I keep marvelling at how fantastically cheap UEA's accomodation is! Another reason to make damn sure I get in... Kent's prices are extortionate.

We're not number 1 for nothing! Good luck with any exams you have to do to get in.
Reply 1107
Original post by diamonddust

Totally agree- I went to look round Kent and my whole loan wouldn't have even covered accommodation, it's ridiculous. I suppose it's because it's the south, everything is more expensive there.
Reply 1108
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Hi, I'm torn between the village ensuite and the campus ensuite. Originally, I thought the campus ensuite would be best, as it's bigger and closer to everything, but then I thought I'd go for the village 'cause it's quieter. My mum wasn't keen though.

Can anyone who stayed in the campus ensuite or the village ensuite tell me what it's like to live there, if possible? :smile: And is there a shop or anything in the village, or is it just accomodation?

Thanks! :smile:

Hey i live on in campus ensuite and it is very lovely. Its handy to live here when you have an hour off between lectures because you can just quickly go home and get some food or a cup of tea! The rooms are really nice, they are slightly different to the village. hard to describe though! I live in a 12 person flat, 3 internationals who pretty much keep themselves to themselves! My cleaner is pretty ace, she can talk and talk, but they warn you if ur room is super messy. not mine though! internet gets a bit slow sometimes like if you want to post up work, but they say its just too much traffic hmmn! also, i can get pretty good freeview tv reception here which is always a bonus! if you want to know anything else, let me know!
Original post by lauraslw
Hey i live on in campus ensuite and it is very lovely. Its handy to live here when you have an hour off between lectures because you can just quickly go home and get some food or a cup of tea! The rooms are really nice, they are slightly different to the village. hard to describe though! I live in a 12 person flat, 3 internationals who pretty much keep themselves to themselves! My cleaner is pretty ace, she can talk and talk, but they warn you if ur room is super messy. not mine though! internet gets a bit slow sometimes like if you want to post up work, but they say its just too much traffic hmmn! also, i can get pretty good freeview tv reception here which is always a bonus! if you want to know anything else, let me know!

Thank you! That's really helpful!

Can I ask you if it's particularly noisy there at nights? :smile:

It really depends where you are and what your flat's like. My flat's pretty quiet, and there's never really an issue with noise. Other flats are a bit more boisterous, but I guess it's where you end up and who you're with. Resident tutors are quite often called out to tell people to shut up, so if it does get noisy, it's easy to make it quiet again. The rooms are pretty much soundproof, unless you're being very loud. The only thing that does get annoying is being opposite the kitchen when the door bangs shut, but that's a minor irritant really. Campus en-suites are generally regarded as a bit noisier than the Village, but it really depends where you end up and who you're with.
Original post by pigwigeon
It really depends where you are and what your flat's like. My flat's pretty quiet, and there's never really an issue with noise. Other flats are a bit more boisterous, but I guess it's where you end up and who you're with. Resident tutors are quite often called out to tell people to shut up, so if it does get noisy, it's easy to make it quiet again. The rooms are pretty much soundproof, unless you're being very loud. The only thing that does get annoying is being opposite the kitchen when the door bangs shut, but that's a minor irritant really. Campus en-suites are generally regarded as a bit noisier than the Village, but it really depends where you end up and who you're with.

Thank you! :smile:

I just wondered 'cause I can be a ridiculously light sleeper at times. Noise any other time is fine, but I like it to be quiet while I'm sleeping. :tongue:

Now I'm leaning back to the campus. I still like the idea of the village, but I also like the idea of beingon campus and close to things... Gah, I guess I'm just awful at making decisions... I made the one to choose UEA quickly enough though! :biggrin:
Reply 1112
You're going to get woken up at some point by passing drunks wherever you are. Probably happens a couple of times a week round here at the moment (Village), usually about 3am when people head back from the LCR or the city. You get used to it.

I am considering purchasing a long-range water pistol to deal with them.
Wherever you are there will be noise!!! Remember there are loads of students around you, yes there are quiteter flats of which I am in one on campus however still get noise from passing people and flats around-upstairs , downwards and to the side. Whatever hall you get put in, camppus or village its not gonna be silent all the time!!! x
Reply 1114
I live on the ground floor of Britten House and have NEVER been woken up by passing drunkards haha. I sleep like a log though! And I do have a VERY quiet flat, which isn't necessarily a good thing in my book, more because it's at the boring end of quiet rather than just pleasant. But yes, there's probably going to be noise wherever you are, but not necessarily horrendously disturbing.
Reply 1115
Thank you! :smile:

I just wondered 'cause I can be a ridiculously light sleeper at times. Noise any other time is fine, but I like it to be quiet while I'm sleeping. :tongue:

Now I'm leaning back to the campus. I still like the idea of the village, but I also like the idea of beingon campus and close to things... Gah, I guess I'm just awful at making decisions... I made the one to choose UEA quickly enough though! :biggrin:

I'm a really light sleeper, I wake up at everything! Someone opens or shuts their door - I wake up, someone's talking in the hallway - i wake up, etc etc. I'm living in ensuite campus and I invested in some earplugs when I first started here, something like 20 pairs for £3 off amazon and I sleep like a log with them in, I literally don't hear anything (but I can still hear the fire alarm!), so don't worry there's always a way round it!
Thanks everyone! :smile:

I know it's not gonna quiet at all times, and I wouldn't want it to be, but it'll take some getting used to to live in halls so I wanted to know which would be quietest and so easiest for me to get some sleep.

Don't worry; I'll remember to pack a long range water pistol! :tongue:

And thanks for the earplugs tips, LooCee. I hadn't thought of that at all. I'm now thinking more about the campus. :smile:
Original post by mrk12a
Just a question about the halls. I live 30 miles away from the uea and was wondering whether i would get accommodation in the halls or not? Do they think i have to commute from that distance?

thanks any help appreciated

I've read that all first years are entitled to immediate accomodation if they live a minimum of 12 miles away from the university...... so i guess so, yeah! :smile:
Reply 1118
Original post by **PRINCESS**90
Hey, Im going to UEA in September but really cant decide which accomodation to choose..all the people already at UEA say the en suites are nicer but norfolk.suffolk terrace have more parties and they'r cheaper,
does anyone know which accomodation they're going to choose?
if u do, just reply on ere pleasee :smile:

thankss and cu all in september :biggrin:

it depends on the people you share a flat with, I'm in Colman house, the people in my flat are really cool so socially its brill.. plus my room and bathroom are nice, quite spacious - and no queuing for the showers in the morning!
Reply 1119
I live on the ground floor and never really hear anything coming from above at all. Only a few times in the last couple of weeks but thats it. I also have earplugs and they do help. The only thing that annoys me is people that bring ridiculous sound systems and then think its ok to have their music on with the door wide open! but im pretty good at going and saying something to them. I've slept better at uni than i thought i would do because im a light sleeper so hopefully you will be fine!! Honestly go for campus, no long walks to lectures!

Latest

Trending

Trending