The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diamonddust

Original post by diamonddust
Bit of a n00bish question (:tongue:) but how do you pay for accommodation? In monthly installments? Or one lump sum at the start of the year?

There are several options including all at once, one a term and 8 "monthly" installments. The online thing takes you through it all and once you've decided upon a method then it just takes it out your account without you having to do anything :smile:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
There are several options including all at once, one a term and 8 "monthly" installments. The online thing takes you through it all and once you've decided upon a method then it just takes it out your account without you having to do anything :smile:

Thanks so much! :biggrin:
Reply 1182
Not sure what the payment is like for other methods but for monthly payments they work out to be spread over 7 or so months not the 9/10 expected ( for campus ensuite thats about £470 a month not £390 I thought it would be)

Nothing major just something I would have liked to have been aware of beforehand
Original post by Jaredss

Original post by Jaredss
Not sure what the payment is like for other methods but for monthly payments they work out to be spread over 7 or so months not the 9/10 expected ( for campus ensuite thats about £470 a month not £390 I thought it would be)

Nothing major just something I would have liked to have been aware of beforehand

Yeah it's 8 installments, paid on the 3rd of every month from November to June.

For the village it's ~£444 a month :yep:
Reply 1184
Yeah it's 8 installments, paid on the 3rd of every month from November to June.

For the village it's ~£444 a month :yep:

I knew it was something like that but wasn't sure of the figures. Gonna need to be a tad more clued up next year
just realised that if I get campus ensuite I will be on MINUS £155 by December. and that's without eating or going out. lol. FML.

does anyone know what bursaries are available (if any) to people whose household income is over the boundary but whose parents can't always afford to support? I am hoping to work this summer to make a little extra, but i don't think that will be very much..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by goofy-blues
just realised that if I get campus ensuite I will be on MINUS £155 by December. and that's without eating or going out. lol. FML.

This is such a stupid/lazy question, but how on earth did you work that out?

does anyone know what bursaries are available (if any) to people whose household income is over the boundary but whose parents can't always afford to support? I am hoping to work this summer to make a little extra, but i don't think that will be very much..

Sadly not. If you go for the campus standard thats about £1000 cheaper over the year than the ensuite (Norfolk/Suffolk) or £1500 cheaper for Orwell/Wolfson.
Original post by ellie-wellie
This is such a stupid/lazy question, but how on earth did you work that out?

well... i don't know the dates of payments etc (i don't know if you pay a full month for September?) but a standard maintenance loan is £1176 a term and the ensuite is £444 a month so minus 444 for October, November and December is - £155, I'm not very good at maths so thought I'd made a mistake, but I think it's fairly accurate give or take a couple of pounds..
Original post by jelly1000
Sadly not. If you go for the campus standard thats about £1000 cheaper over the year than the ensuite (Norfolk/Suffolk) or £1500 cheaper for Orwell/Wolfson.

:frown:
Are orwell and wolfson standard shared bathrooms?
:frown:
Are orwell and wolfson standard shared bathrooms?

Norfolk, Suffolk, Orwell & Wolfson are all shared bathroom. At Norfolk & Suffolk you get a sink in your room. At Orwell & Wolfson you don't. Most people have said that they don't mind sharing facilities really, and Norfolk & Suffolk are said to be the most sociable halls. I'm only going for ensuite because I have a problem with my bladder.
Original post by jelly1000
Norfolk, Suffolk, Orwell & Wolfson are all shared bathroom. At Norfolk & Suffolk you get a sink in your room. At Orwell & Wolfson you don't. Most people have said that they don't mind sharing facilities really, and Norfolk & Suffolk are said to be the most sociable halls. I'm only going for ensuite because I have a problem with my bladder.

I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought all the other campus ones were en suite
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought they were all ensuite

No they arent. The majority of halls are ensuite though. But Norfolk/Suffolk seems like a good choice, apparently you get a slightly bigger room as you dont have the bathroom.

well... i don't know the dates of payments etc (i don't know if you pay a full month for September?) but a standard maintenance loan is £1176 a term and the ensuite is £444 a month so minus 444 for October, November and December is - £155, I'm not very good at maths so thought I'd made a mistake, but I think it's fairly accurate give or take a couple of pounds..

If you do the "monthly" installments you begin paying in November. Although from the sounds of things you can't afford campus en-suite, so I would look at the other options tbh.
If you do the "monthly" installments you begin paying in November. Although from the sounds of things you can't afford campus en-suite, so I would look at the other options tbh.

ensuite was never my first choice... but it was a shock nonetheless.
I'm almost defs going for norfolk/suffolk... i didn't really know anything about the orwell and wolfson ones, i thought all the other campus ones were en suite

Seems like you have a few questions about payments. So you can make an informed descision about what type of accommodation to go for I'll let you know how it's worked out.

Like (I think) you've been told already on the thread you have three options to pay for the room. All in one go, three equal termly installments or by direct debit over 8 months. We give you these options as students are funded in different ways and it gives you more flexibilty in your finances. No option costs any more or less than the others, it is purely your choice.

As you will be coming as an undergraduate student your licence will be (about) 38 weeks long however we charge for the rooms on a nightly basis so you will only pay the exact amount for the nights shown on your licence.

One thing that I do want to make you aware of that has been mentioned earlier is that the termly and monthly payments DO NOT reflect the actual time that you are paying for it. For instance your March payment does not just pay for March's rent. What they are is just either a third or an eighth of the total amount. (I only mention this because we are often asked about why our monthly payments are too high!). You are here for around 9-10 months and only pay 8 installments!

I'm more than happy to go through what each residence offers in terms or what you pay for it if you like. Just drop me a PM and I'll try to help you find the best type of room to apply for.
Reply 1196

I think UEA does something like a hardship fund, im not entirely sure who can apply for it but look into that. And depending on what course you are on, im sure you get like £500 when you start from the uni as a bit of a grant. and the finance people are good if you arent able to pay on the exact date. Ive had to get a student account and maxed out the overdraft to help pay for my accomodation. I dont think anybody can ever afford to live here!
Reply 1197
Does anyone know if there is any separation between 'mature students' and other students?

Just wondering as I am 21 so therefore am classified as a mature student but obviously not too old!
Reply 1198

If it helps I paid termly and they divide pretty much exactly by three give or take a pound, which gives 1152 per term for the village for 2011/12, leaving you at least a positive amount if not very much.

If you have really high grades you may be eligible for a scholarship even without being eligible for grant/bursary. http://www.uea.ac.uk/acad/po/sbpo/bss
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1199
Original post by Riley26
Does anyone know if there is any separation between 'mature students' and other students?

Just wondering as I am 21 so therefore am classified as a mature student but obviously not too old!

There isn't a separation, everyone's mixed in and honestly no-one really notices the difference in age- there is a lot of mixing between years in terms of friendships, and people do all sorts like gap years, work, college etc, so you get a bit of a mix of ages anyway.