Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    See here.

Has anybody used this method? If so, what are your opinions on it?

I was just curious because I believe it could actually work quite well for me...

ReputationRep:
    I actually tried that method on an AS student I was asked to tutor because she was really struggling and it just fell flat lol.
    I'm thinking of using it for German though as I think with the right person it can be effective. You know how you get different types of learners? Like visual, practical etc... well I think if you're a visual learner and can remember the images then the technique could work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessx)
    I actually tried that method on an AS student I was asked to tutor because she was really struggling and it just fell flat lol.
    I'm thinking of using it for German though as I think with the right person it can be effective. You know how you get different types of learners? Like visual, practical etc... well I think if you're a visual learner and can remember the images then the technique could work.
    Cool, do let me know how it goes if you try! What's your current level of German like? Would you be using it for vocab reinforcement or learning from scratch? Also - do you know if it teaches any grammar at all, or just very basic stuff? (I can't really imagine how grammar fits into the method...)

I sort of already do it myself when I learn words with gender, eg. Das Haus, picture a house full of green aliens to remind me that the word is neuter...

I always thought that it would be fun to master the basics in a bunch of languages though, and if the method works then that it could make that feasible!

Has nobody else used it? Or a similar method?

ReputationRep:
    My German level is quite basic. I'm doing it ab initio so I only started it 3 months ago but it's going well. Yesterday, I managed to have my first fluent conversation online for about 10 mins talking about jobs and homework etc. I think it's best for vocab although you could use it for learning verbs as well. I don't think it would do much good for your grammar though, like cases and tenses.

It does work though sometimes, I remember the word 'Krankheit' for illness because when you're ill it makes you 'cranky'. I'm still struggling with gender though - it's all a bit random! I would personally rather be fluent in a few languages than have basic level in loads so I wouldn't know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 30, 2009

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.