Legal Argument and naming of client Watch

Crimson Black
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Sorry about the confusing title. Just a short question which I don't know the answer to:

When writing a legal argument, should you refer to the client by his or her name, or just call him "client"? Which is considered more professional?
TommehR
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Are we talking about a problem question at university or some kind of assessment exercise for a Vac Scheme or Training Contract? If it's the former then I'd refer to them by his or her name, if it's the latter then I'd probably just say 'the client', but I don't think it really matters all that much.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Name, IMO, though it depends on the circumstances
Crimson Black
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by TommehR)
Are we talking about a problem question at university or some kind of assessment exercise for a Vac Scheme or Training Contract? If it's the former then I'd refer to them by his or her name, if it's the latter then I'd probably just say 'the client', but I don't think it really matters all that much.
FRU work. I used the client's name anyway, semed less formal ('Mr X'). Saying "the client" all the time makes it sound like you're poking him with a stick and measuring his reaction time with a stopwatch before jotting it down on a clipboard whilst wearing a white coat. Or maybe that's just me. :sigh:
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you should use client
ninon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For what it's worth if this is legal argument in the sense of written submissions it is my view that you should use claimant/defendant or appellant/respondent.

I would be smacked around the head by my pupil master if I used 'the client' in the course of written work.

Mr X might be appropriate in some circumstances, for example where writing an opinion before proceedings have been commenced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (23)
17.16%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
40.3%
Nope, not that interesting (57)
42.54%

Watched Threads