M2 help - reaction forces Watch

hykim1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
A smooth horizontal rail is fixed at height 3m above the ground. A uniform rod AB of length 6m is placed in a vertical plane perpendicular to the rail with the end A resting on the ground. The distance AC = 5m where C is the point of contact between the rail and the rod.

This isn't the full question obviously, but my question concerns just the information I've given here. At point C, in which direction is the reaction force? Is it perpendicular to the rod or is it in the direction of the rail?

Thanks
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Perpendicular to rod = direction of the rail = direction in which the force acts.
hykim1
Rep:
?
The rod is slanted. It rests on the ground at point A, and also on the rail at point C. Say the point vertically below C is O, then AOC is a triangle.

So perpendicular to the rod isn't equal to the direction of the rail. Maybe I didn't word the question well at start.
hykim1
Rep:
?
I've worked out the question assuming the force acts perpendicular to the rod and came out with the right answer, so I think that's it. Thanks
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, you said "A uniform rod AB of length 6m is placed in a vertical plane perpendicular to the rail"...

But if you're changing the question, I'm actually not sure, sorry.

*Edit*

Looks like you've sorted it out though.
hykim1
Rep:
?
Yeah I have thanks though. I think by vertical plane perpendicular to the rail, it doesn't mean the rod is perpendicular, but the plane that it is in. I.e. in a three dimensional perspective, rotating the whole thing 90 degrees towards you, the rod and rail would be in line.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (149)
27.54%
No (392)
72.46%

Watched Threads