Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of downloading it coz i'm broke and i really need some cash:o: Has anyone tried it? Is it like proper programming code or is it GUI/Easy to use? coz i have no idea how to code at all...

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm aware, you need to code everything using Obj-C. Also, you need to be running OS X, as there's no official SDK for anything else. I'd guess you could drag and drop the GUI parts, the actual logic will be Obj-C though.

ReputationRep:
    so i need to know how to code to be able to to make programs huh...So much for that idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    so i need to know how to code to be able to to make programs huh...So much for that idea...
    You could always try to learn how to program. If you're wanting to do something relatively basic, you may not have to spend too long before you can accomplish it. Probably not the fastest way to make money though.

ReputationRep:
    what were you expecting? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exopaladin)
    You could always try to learn how to program. If you're wanting to do something relatively basic, you may not have to spend too long before you can accomplish it. Probably not the fastest way to make money though.
    naa i've got Mid Terms and A levels to worry about...Maybe in the summer :p:

(Original post by alex-hs)
    what were you expecting? :eyeball:
    I thought it was gonna be GUI coz i saw videos of it being used and it looked pretty simple..

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was gonna be GUI coz i saw videos of it being used and it looked pretty simple..
    No, sorry, Obj-C is a very powerful language. Granted, its not as complex to learn as some, but the frameworks used in the SDK require time to learn.

Also, it's not GUI. Yes, there is interface builder, but that's only for your very basic interface layout and basic code connections to it. There's no logic implemented in interface builder. Some developers don't even use it, and do the whole thing in code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    No, sorry, Obj-C is a very powerful language. Granted, its not as complex to learn as some, but the frameworks used in the SDK require time to learn.

Also, it's not GUI. Yes, there is interface builder, but that's only for your very basic interface layout and basic code connections to it. There's no logic implemented in interface builder. Some developers don't even use it, and do the whole thing in code.
    Great, might potentially be a good summer project

ReputationRep:
    Have you done object-oriented programming before?

If not, then my statement is not valid. If you've never done OO programing, then the iPhone is not the place to start. For that case, look at Java

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    Have you done object-oriented programming before?

If not, then my statement is not valid. If you've never done OO programing, then the iPhone is not the place to start. For that case, look at Java
    No But in the iPhone SDK starter kit video the dude kept saying how Obj-c is easier to use than normal code, really got my hopes up, shame

ReputationRep:
    Do u think this is sufficient to learn Obj-C?

ReputationRep:
    Do u think this is sufficient to learn Obj-C?
    Read the intro:

If you're comfortable with basic object-oriented concepts and the C language, Objective-C will make a lot of sense. If you don't know C, you should read the C Tutorial first.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.