Less ignorance, less happiness. Watch

edanon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
As a general rule would you say that the more educated worldly people in the world are less happy/content than the more ignorant people?

I'm carefull not to say "intelligent" because i know that intelligence is relative.. but in terms of being a thinker... someone who is aware of the world and evetything in it.... someone who appreciates the arts... would you say that they tend to struggle more with being content?

"Ignorance is bliss" i guess somes it up. Many of the greatest writers, poets, artists, musicians etc have dealt with drug addiction, depression and a whole range of mental illness.. whereas it seems that a person who follows the straight path through life... (typical job.. smallf family.. nice house.. retire grow old.. die) tend to be happier within themselves (not necessarily their surroundings but in their mind).

or perhaps for the less ignorant mind there is a loss before a gain? Is the mental torture that so many artists etc endure just the journey to a better life? you could think of it in terms of being enlightened as a buddhist..... monks sit around meditating... spending all that time doing nothing besides sitting and thinking... starving themselves... but they hope to achieve enlightenment.....

anyway.. what are you thoughts?
Azer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, I think there is happiness in ignorance. The happiest lives in my opinion are those with just above average intelligence - a chance for success but no overly oppressive pressure. At the extremes there is probably happiness too, but in-between a lot of sadness is present due to competition etc.
IddaCapeli
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by edanon)
you could think of it in terms of being enlightened as a buddhist..... monks sit around meditating... spending all that time doing nothing besides sitting and thinking... starving themselves... but they hope to achieve enlightenment.....
Our society is based on artificial needs, we see something shiny on tv we got to have it, we are programed by the mass-media this way from our early ages.
username33685
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
tbh you just need enough intelligence to see that relatively speaking, we have it pretty ******* good in the UK compared to 90% + of the rest of the world, and also that you DON'T need to constantly be in competition with one another in terms of wealth, looks etc.
edanon
Rep:
?
(Original post by rich2606)
tbh you just need enough intelligence to see that relatively speaking, we have it pretty ******* good in the UK compared to 90% + of the rest of the world, and also that you DON'T need to constantly be in competition with one another in terms of wealth, looks etc.
well as the saying goes money doesn't buy you happiness.. and like i said, i said.. this is a kind of introspective un-happiness... regardless of economic situation/wealth.
Aesop
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As a general rule would you say that the more educated worldly people in the world are less happy/content than the more ignorant people?

I'm carefull not to say "intelligent" because i know that intelligence is relative.. but in terms of being a thinker... someone who is aware of the world and evetything in it.... someone who appreciates the arts... would you say that they tend to struggle more with being content?

"Ignorance is bliss" i guess somes it up. Many of the greatest writers, poets, artists, musicians etc have dealt with drug addiction, depression and a whole range of mental illness.. whereas it seems that a person who follows the straight path through life... (typical job.. smallf family.. nice house.. retire grow old.. die) tend to be happier within themselves (not necessarily their surroundings but in their mind).

or perhaps for the less ignorant mind there is a loss before a gain? Is the mental torture that so many artists etc endure just the journey to a better life? you could think of it in terms of being enlightened as a buddhist..... monks sit around meditating... spending all that time doing nothing besides sitting and thinking... starving themselves... but they hope to achieve enlightenment.....

anyway.. what are you thoughts?
Not at all. I'd say that it all averages out regardless of intellectual capability. I know sad, ignorant people and I know happy, intelligent people.
I do think, however, that some people cling to 'ignorance is bliss' in an attempt to identify themselves with some kind of (I'm totally aware of Africa's hardships and therefore a better person) social ideal.
edanon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aesop)
Not at all. I'd say that it all averages out regardless of intellectual capability. I know sad, ignorant people and I know happy, intelligent people.
I do think, however, that some people cling to 'ignorance is bliss' in an attempt to identify themselves with some kind of (I'm totally aware of Africa's hardships and therefore a better person) social ideal.
But if you're ignorant to any hardship in the world... you don't know pain... you have enver considered our reason for existing... you've never thought deeper than what you're gonna have for dinner tonight... you only look as far as making sure you get enough money to pay the bills for the month... then life can surely be less worrying and a person wouldn't get as anxious/tense because there is nothing much to worry about.

At the same time i'm talking on a philosophical level. Anyone who thinks about life for a long enough period of time is opening themselves up to depression and anxiety. Anyone who delves too deeply into the realms of artistic expression... emotion... etc as Nietzshe said "If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you".

EDIT: and i didn't really mean intellectual capability... i'm talking more about what you choose to do with your time. Some people are very extrovert and live life through what they do and through other people. Some people are more introvert and thoughtfull about their situation in life... for example you hear people talking about the tortured soul of an artist.
Aesop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
But if you're ignorant to any hardship in the world... you don't know pain... you have enver considered our reason for existing... you've never thought deeper than what you're gonna have for dinner tonight... you only look as far as making sure you get enough money to pay the bills for the month... then life can surely be less worrying and a person wouldn't get as anxious/tense because there is nothing much to worry about.

At the same time i'm talking on a philosophical level. Anyone who thinks about life for a long enough period of time is opening themselves up to depression and anxiety. Anyone who delves too deeply into the realms of artistic expression... emotion... etc as Nietzshe said "If you look long enough into the void the void begins to look back through you".
Surely melancholy and 'mental' pain is entirely relative (to individuals) though (rather than circumstance)? Some may lose themselves in clinical depression because their lover and family died tragically, another because they are overweight. The circumstance is dramatically different, but can you argue that the pain of the former is greater than the pain of the latter (neurobiology zZz..)?
Given that you accept it's relativity, I do not see how you can but refute the statement 'ignorance is bliss'. Unless you show me some figures to the contrary, I see no reason to accept your proposition. Examples of famous academics turned depressives doesn't count as evidence (the ignorant are rarely remembered).
Aesop
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
EDIT: and i didn't really mean intellectual capability... i'm talking more about what you choose to do with your time. Some people are very extrovert and live life through what they do and through other people. Some people are more introvert and thoughtfull about their situation in life... for example you hear people talking about the tortured soul of an artist.
Well, in reply to this edit I shall say that I consider it entirely plausible that someone who spends their time thinking about things 'deeply' and exploring their introverted little lives aren't as happy. However, I'd also think they were completely ignorant.

Are you really talking of ignorance?
silentrevolution
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
nah mate
happiness is action of the soul in accordance to virtue
La Esmerelda
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think that someone very ignorant could only experience happiness to the degree that they are unenlightened. Thus, their happiness would only be a contented-sort of happiness but I think writers/emos etc have more room for euphoria as they're always bogged down.
HappinessHappening
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it depends on what you've studied and what you're knowledgeable about. There are some philosophers for example who've made me see the world in a much more positive light; this has made me significantly happier.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (28)
25.93%
No - I got the required grades (66)
61.11%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (14)
12.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise