Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really want to go to Lancaster, preferably to do Politics. I was wondering, would I be able to apply for Politics and do my PS for politics but then also apply for say, Sociology and maybe one other subject at Lancs in the same application but just leave my personal statement tailored to politics, if you know what I mean? So basically is it possible to do this (Apply for different courses at Lancs), and would I stand any chance at all being accepted to the courses that aren't politics as my PS isn't about those courses or is it the case that if your PS isn't to do with the subjects you are applying for you are automatically rejected, even if you have the grades? Sorry for making such a prolix thread, it's pretty hard to explain what I mean but I hope you understand! :P

ReputationRep:
    Right. It is possible to apply to the same university for multiple courses, yes, and politics and sociology are good bedfellows. What I would suggest you do is apply for, say, Politics BA, Politics and Sociology BA, and Sociology BA, and make sure you cover both in your statement. This shouldn't be difficult since there's such a big cross-over between the two - Marx, for example, is often claimed as a political scientist, a sociologist, or an economist. A statement that is essentially 'political sociology' should also be fine for any other single-honours politics courses you apply for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Right. It is possible to apply to the same university for multiple courses, yes, and politics and sociology are good bedfellows. What I would suggest you do is apply for, say, Politics BA, Politics and Sociology BA, and Sociology BA, and make sure you cover both in your statement. This shouldn't be difficult since there's such a big cross-over between the two - Marx, for example, is often claimed as a political scientist, a sociologist, or an economist. A statement that is essentially 'political sociology' should also be fine for any other single-honours politics courses you apply for.
    Thanks, if my PS was exclusively made for politics without taking any other subjects into account, what do you think the outcome would be with other subjects, such as Sociology (at the same institute)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxmjam)
    Thanks, if my PS was exclusively made for politics without taking any other subjects into account, what do you think the outcome would be with other subjects, such as Sociology (at the same institute)?
    Probably not great. I think it would be a shame for you to completely ignore sociology though, since it could be a real complement to a politics statement, so why waste the opportunity? There are so many areas of crossover - the politics of the media, power in society, domestic violence, nationalism, citizenship, etc etc. It wouldn't take much for you to raise these as areas of interest, it wouldn't detract from the politics side of things, and it would make the sociological element of the statement far stronger.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.