Turn on thread page Beta

Is it Weird to go Somewhere by Yourself? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok I don't really wanna go on holiday with my friends very much (they wouldn't go to pubs or clubbing and one tells her Mum everytime I have a sip of beer =-|). So would it be weird if I went somewhere for a couple of days by myself such as Paris or Rome?

ReputationRep:
    Well it might be dangerous to go on holiday "larging it" by yourself. But if you want a more cultured experience then I say go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I tell people i travel by myself they give me a pity look.
    It's weird for some, but I find it normal. Go for it. Rome is an awesome city at night.

ReputationRep:
    If you're confident enough then why not?

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth does your friend tell her mum everytime you have a sip of beer??? Slightly (and by that I mean very..) weird...

If you're confident enough, and independant, then I don't see why not, would be a good experience and you might make some new friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerbread_traveller)
    Ok I don't really wanna go on holiday with my friends very much (they wouldn't go to pubs or clubbing and one tells her Mum everytime I have a sip of beer =-|). So would it be weird if I went somewhere for a couple of days by myself such as Paris or Rome?
    How old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, how old are you?

It's not really weird, I wouldn't want to do it personally but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yeah, how old are you?

It's not really weird, I wouldn't want to do it personally but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

I'm 18, was thinking about it this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shabooyah_!)
    Why on earth does your friend tell her mum everytime you have a sip of beer??? Slightly (and by that I mean very..) weird...

If you're confident enough, and independant, then I don't see why not, would be a good experience and you might make some new friends!

She doesn't drink because of her religion which I am fine about. Once she saw me drunk at a thing called Beerfest (drinking at Beerfest??? MADNESS!!!) And my other friend who she was giving a lift home told me that apparently she told her Mum that I drunk loads and her Mum said how I was ruining my life and won't get into my desired uni (well I am, so ha!)

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing wrong with it at all, in my opinion. However, I do think one of the fun things about travel is having somone to share your experiences with.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I wouldn't say it was weird, but I would say it was dangerous. Not the travelling alone bit, that's fine. Travelling alone isn't for me personally, but I wouldn't think it was weird. But the going out clubbing in a strange city with no one to walk you home when you're drunk would be cause for concern I would have thought, especially as a girl.

ReputationRep:
    Traveling alone is the way to roll! Stay in a hostel and you'll meet some cool people if you want so you don't even have to be alone if you dont want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    Traveling alone is the way to roll! Stay in a hostel and you'll meet some cool people if you want so you don't even have to be alone if you dont want.
    That's not necessarily true. If you're going to travel alone, you have to do so knowing that you'd still have a good time even if you didn't meet new people. I was travelling alone at the start of the month and no one in my hostel spoke English or French, so I was stuck without anyone to be with. So although there's the chance you might meet new people, you have to be prepared for the fact that you might not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    That's not necessarily true. If you're going to travel alone, you have to do so knowing that you'd still have a good time even if you didn't meet new people. I was travelling alone at the start of the month and no one in my hostel spoke English or French, so I was stuck without anyone to be with. So although there's the chance you might meet new people, you have to be prepared for the fact that you might not.
    And also to add to this... remember that you've only just met people in hostels, however nice they appear to be. Obviously, the majority of people are fine and I've had a wicked time with people I've met in hostels all over the world. But at the same time you need to have your wits about you even more than you would do at home. Especially if you're an 18 year old girl who doesn't sound like she has that much experience in terms of travel (forgive me if I am wrong, but if you were experienced you wouldn't be asking this question) meaning you can appear very vulnerable and easy to take advantage of to other people, both in the hostel and also when you're out and about - particularly as you've said you want to go away for clubbing and drinking. If you were sightseeing then thats a different matter and I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you're sensible, but if you're going somewhere where you don't speak the language to get away from your friends where you can get drunk then I'd say be careful. Even the nicest of people can change when they've had a bit to drink.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    You're right. It does depend on where you travel but you'd be unlucky to spend time in a major European city like Rome and not find anyone speaking English or French, especially if you pick a large hostel with common areas like a bar.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Majorca on my own for a few days in the summer, but not for a mad 'summer type' holiday, I'll be behind my camera for the most of it.

ReputationRep:
    To avoid the hostel problem, and meet new people, you could also try couchsurfing. Also people you've only just met, but at least you know you're safe, and you can choose who to hang out with=).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rscully)
    You're right. It does depend on where you travel but you'd be unlucky to spend time in a major European city like Rome and not find anyone speaking English or French, especially if you pick a large hostel with common areas like a bar.
    I was in Berlin! It was just full of Germans and Eastern Europeans!

(Original post by Fen)
    To avoid the hostel problem, and meet new people, you could also try couchsurfing. Also people you've only just met, but at least you know you're safe, and you can choose who to hang out with=).
    That's even less safe! Staying in a hostel isn't a problem alone, but couch surfing is definitely worse for a girl on her own! I realise most couchsurfers are probably nice people, but it only takes one bad experience and thing can be a hundred times worse than they would be in a hostel. In a hostel, you're sharing a room with several strangers, but there are staff and other travellers if someone tries to attack you or steal your things. When couchsurfing you're ****** if someone turns out to be an unsavoury type.

ReputationRep:
    That's why there are references from other people that have surfed that person's couch=). Messages on CS are saved(at least that's what they say when you send them), and I think it's better to at least have some knowledge on the person you're staying at that staying with several strangers at once.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would definitely disagree. Couch surfing is fine if you're an experienced traveller, in a group of mates or able to defend yourself, but I would strongly recommend against any inexperience young females couch surfing. It's fairly easy to fake references on there. Surely you can see that it's far more dangerous to stay in a stranger's house than to stay in a well staffed hostel with other travellers who can step in? By all means, do it yourself, but I'd say it's pretty irresponsible to recommend it to a lone girl traveller who intends to get drunk most nights while there.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.