How competitive is Durham's CompSci taught postgrad? Watch

kimgan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
i've asked a fairly similar question elsewhere in TSR, but i didn't get any response, so thought i'd try here instead.

pretty keen on applying to the MSc in Internet Systems and eBusiness as the course structure sounds interesting & right up my alley interest wise.

but i'd like to know how competitive is the Computer Science postgrad courses to get into and if they give any leeway for the minimum requirement as i have an Aussie bachelor's degree & they don't practice degree grading - it's an additional 4th year of study to get an honours degree, which you can only apply for & do after you graduate with the bachelor's degree.

i was thinking i'd send in my application anyway & see how it pans out. would this be a wise move? the admissions person i have been emailing asked for "a 2i (or distinction)". i believe i do meet this requirement, if not at least a 2ii as my grades are mostly in the 70% region with a couple in the 60% & 80% regions respectively.

& what's the chances that postgrads get into the college they apply for if it's not Ustinov? cos after looking thru, i'd like to put St Chad's as my college preference. :p:
Stacy_T
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Best thing to do is email the department. I'm sure they have various rules for international qualifications so they'll be able to give you the straightest answer. In the FAQs, it looks like the course probably attracts alot of overseas candidates anyway so you may not necessarily be at a disadvantage.

Good luck!
Nicholas Urfe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kimgan)
i've asked a fairly similar question elsewhere in TSR, but i didn't get any response, so thought i'd try here instead.

pretty keen on applying to the MSc in Internet Systems and eBusiness as the course structure sounds interesting & right up my alley interest wise.

but i'd like to know how competitive is the Computer Science postgrad courses to get into and if they give any leeway for the minimum requirement as i have an Aussie bachelor's degree & they don't practice degree grading - it's an additional 4th year of study to get an honours degree, which you can only apply for & do after you graduate with the bachelor's degree.

i was thinking i'd send in my application anyway & see how it pans out. would this be a wise move? the admissions person i have been emailing asked for "a 2i (or distinction)". i believe i do meet this requirement, if not at least a 2ii as my grades are mostly in the 70% region with a couple in the 60% & 80% regions respectively.

& what's the chances that postgrads get into the college they apply for if it's not Ustinov? cos after looking thru, i'd like to put St Chad's as my college preference. :p:

It's really hard to tell how competitive Durham's postgrad courses are, because there aren't any detailed statistics published anywhere. I think you should definitely email the department again, and I would apply anyway (you have nothing to lose!). As far as the college goes, I think if you applied soon you'd have a good chance of getting the one you wanted. I applied and got the college I wanted, but it was Ustinov, which obviously holds more places for postgrads than others.
kimgan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
thanks all for the replies

i think the college bit is probably the least of my concerns...it's just a whim thing. since they want me to pick a college even at the application stage. so i wanted to find out if every postgrad (particular overseas ones) are automatically put into Ustinov, especially if the other colleges are filled up. nothing against Ustinov, just thought i liked the idea of postgrads mixed in with the undergrads & i was deciding between St Chad's followed by Hild & Bede.

in the meantime, i've dropped the lady i've been emailing to clarify further on the academic requirements. see how it goes from here...i might just plonk in my application anyway to give it a go.
little_cliff
Report 9 years ago
Hi,
I applied to Durham for MSc Internet and Distributed as the course sounds the one i want to study. just got an offer from them. but still waiting for other uni i have applied (warwick, UCL, Imperial). my query is if there's any who got any idea about the grad prospects of grad from durham's computing MSc courses.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads