Turn on thread page Beta

Entry Requirements watch

Announcements

Hi,

I've got an offer for Edinburgh at BBC, with B in Mathematics.

I have a feeling I might miss out on this grade by a little bit, does this mean I will definitly not
    get in? I have put it as a firm choice but after my M2 exam the other day I don't have much hope for
    getting a B now.

I'll get an A in Computing, you'd think this would make up for it? Balancing it out? After all I am
    wanting to study Computer Science. Anyone actually know?

Thank you,

Wayne.

"Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I've got an offer for Edinburgh at BBC, with B in Mathematics.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have a feeling I might miss out on this grade by a little bit, does this mean I will definitly[/q1]
    [q1]> not get in? I have put it as a firm choice but after my M2 exam the other day I don't have much[/q1]
    [q1]> hope for getting a B now.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I'll get an A in Computing, you'd think this would make up for it?[/q1]
    Balancing
    [q1]> it out? After all I am wanting to study Computer Science. Anyone actually know?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Wayne.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    If it's a near miss you've a pretty good chance. It will probably depend on how many of the others
    who have been conditionally accepted make or miss their offers.

Ginnie

[q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I have a feeling I might miss out on this grade by a little bit, does this mean I will definitly[/q1]
    [q1]> not get in? I have put it as a firm choice but after my M2 exam the other day I don't have much[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

No problem. The high A you'll get in Computing thanks to ur AS mark will mean if you need BBC but
    instead get ABC, C in Maths you should have a good chance of still being let in.

"Davido"

"Wayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news[email protected]...
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Hi,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    Balancing
    [q1]> it out? After all I am wanting to study Computer Science. Anyone actually know?[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thank you,[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Wayne.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    It's pointless to try and predict what they'll do if you miss the offer slightly, it depends on
    various factors that sum to something far too complex for you to be sitting there trying to
    evaluate. As for the M2, if it was a hard exam, they'll lower the grade boundries, in the past I've
    seen A-grade boundries go down to 40/100, so it's not something to worry about if you genuinely feel
    it was a difficult paper. Your A-level points score is quite important to the university dept. since
    its average gets taken into account in newspaper league tables, so I think if you can drop 2 points
    here and gain another 2 there, it's not going to make too much of a difference possibly. If you want
    to be studying Computer Science you really need to be looking at higher maths grades than C though.

G.Sharma.

Davido ([email protected]) wrote:

[q2]> > I've got an offer for Edinburgh at BBC, with B in Mathematics.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I have a feeling I might miss out on this grade by a little bit, does this mean I will definitly[/q2]
    [q2]> > not get in? I have put it as a firm choice but after my M2 exam the other day I don't have much[/q2]
    [q2]> > hope for getting a B now.[/q2]
    [q2]> >[/q2]
    [q2]> > I'll get an A in Computing, you'd think this would make up for it?[/q2]

[q1]> No problem. The high A you'll get in Computing thanks to ur AS mark will mean if you need BBC but[/q1]
    [q1]> instead get ABC, C in Maths you should have a good chance of still being let in.[/q1]

No, you certainly can't make that assumption. I am staggered by how many applicants think that all
    that matters is the A-level points they get, so that a drop of a grade in the crucial A-level
    subject can be "made up" by a grade higher in an irrelevant one.

For Computer Science degree programmes, at least most of the more respected ones, Maths is regarded
    as the crucial A-level, and Computing A-level isn't highly regarded. This is shown in the offer from
    Edinburgh (it's the same sort of offer I'd give for Computer Science at Queen Mary) where there has
    been a specific request for a B in Maths, but no specific request for a B in Computing. We mean what
    we say when we give offers like this - it's the Maths A-level that we're really interested in.

The reason for this is that A-level Computing tends to be based on quite trivial aspects of
    computers, to a large extent you can get by by rote memorising a few terms. Academic Computer
    Science isn't at all like that, it's much more about logic and problem solving. Thus the skills
    required are more closely realted to those developed and tested by A-level Maths.

However, my experience is that most people who get an actual A grade in A-level grade in A-level
    Computing are pretty good - seems like while you can get a C in it without doing anything much
    useful for us at academic level, to get an A you do need to exercise logic and programming skills.
    So I personally would take on someone with an A in A-level Computing even with just a C in Maths.
    But I'm not sure if my opinion on this is widely shared. There is still a widespread belief amongst
    academics in Computer Science that it would be better for applicants not to take A-level Computing
    at all, as it is so irrelevant to what is done at degree level. And I'm only keen on it at grade A,
    anything below that and it tells me nothing useful about the person - I've seen many people with
    grade C at A-level Computing who seem absolutely unable to grasp anything done in the 1st year of
    the degree.

More generally, however, the grades asked for in conditional offers aren't the "real" acceptance
    level. They're the level at which you are *guaranteed* the place, but often in practice most people
    who get a grade or two below what was asked for will still be given a place. It makes sense for
    admissions tutors to set conditional offers way above what they really require, and then to fill up
    with however many made them firms but didn't get the grades asked for as is necessary to fill up
    their quotas. Doing it that way makes sure you don't overshoot the quota.

In particular, in Computer Science this year, because of the drop of the number of people taking
    A-level Maths, I suspect quite a few Computer Science departments will be forced to make up numbers
    by taking in people with lower A-level grades than they'd prefer.

Matthew Huntbach

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.