I just hate the ones with a uniform lamina and right angled triangles :sigh:
thenewromance1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
I just hate the ones with a uniform lamina and right angled triangles :sigh:
I don't mind those. It's ones that are made up of bars I can never do.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Clements-)
I don't mind those. It's ones that are made up of bars I can never do.
Bars, which ones are they?
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
a standard rule:  \bar{x} \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_i = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_ix_i

for point masses, this turns into:

\displaystyle \bar{x} = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3 \cdots m_nx_n}{m_1 + m_2 + m_3 \cdots m_n}

you can do a similar thing for the y coordinates...

Spoiler:
Show
or you can take a column vector approach and do them both together:

\displaystyle m_1\binom{x_1}{y_1} + m_2\binom{x_2}{y_2} +\cdots + m_n\binom{x_n}{y_n} =  \binom{\bar{x}}{\bar{y}} \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_i
3thr3e
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
"[Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 6 ]"

^ lol, dangerous maths.
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by 3thr3e)
"[Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 6 ]"

^ lol, dangerous maths.
just missed out a bracket in the latex :p:
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
a standard rule:  \bar{x} \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_i = \sum_{i=1}^{n} m_ix_i

for point masses, this turns into:

\displaystyle \bar{x} = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3 \cdots m_nx_n}{m_1 + m_2 + m_3 \cdots m_n}

you can do a similar thing for the y coordinates...

Spoiler:
Show
or you can take a column vector approach and do them both together:

\displaystyle m_1\binom{x_1}{y_1} + m_2\binom{x_2}{y_2} +\cdots + m_n\binom{x_n}{y_n} =  \binom{\bar{x}}{\bar{y}} \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^{n} m_i
In the markscheme it says x bar is 4, without any working out, so are you supposed to see that?
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In the markscheme it says x bar is 4, without any working out, so are you supposed to see that?
it's just a bit of mental arithmetic in a sense. but it's best to put all the working. from what i've seen, markschemes have simplied working for the less challenging questions (usually). and examiners (who are the only ones meant to see this), would know how to solve the question, but just to check the answer themselves, the markscheme has it.

(always put down all your working, regardless of how little may be in the markscheme)
vinsta
Rep:
?
it's just a bit of mental arithmetic in a sense. but it's best to put all the working. from what i've seen, markschemes have simplied working for the less challenging questions (usually). and examiners (who are the only ones meant to see this), would know how to solve the question, but just to check the answer themselves, the markscheme has it.

(always put down all your working, regardless of how little may be in the markscheme)
Ok Ghosh thanks.
thenewromance1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Bars, which ones are they?
Or rods, i just did a question from June 06, q.4 where a frame was made up of 4 bars, and weights were added to two corners.
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok Ghosh thanks.
just realised you wanted help with part b :>.<:

you need to find the centre of mass of the uniform triangle. this can be found by taking the average of the coordinates of the vertices:

uniform triangle ABC has coordinates A = (x_a,y_a), B = (x_b,y_b), C = (x_c,y_c)

\therefore \displaystyle (\bar{x}, \bar{y}) = \left(\frac{x_a+x_b+x_c}{3}, \frac{y_a + y_b + y_c}{3}\right)

then treat the centre of mass of the triangle as a point mass of km at  (\bar{x}, \bar{y}) and use the same prinicple in part A, with finding the centre of mass of a system of point masses, using:

edit: also in the markscheme, for Q5, i saw none of it just having '4' as an answer on its own - it all had working - might take a while to load - or just run over the blank parts of it with your cursor to make it show up.
vinsta
Rep:
?

you need to find the centre of mass of the uniform triangle. this can be found by taking the average of the coordinates of the vertices:

uniform triangle ABC has coordinates A = (x_a,y_a), B = (x_b,y_b), C = (x_c,y_c)

\therefore \displaystyle (\bar{x}, \bar{y}) = (\frac{x_a+x_b+x_c}{3}, \frac{y_a + y_b + y_c}{3})

then treat the centre of mass of the triangle as a point mass of km at  (\bar{x}, \bar{y}) and use the same prinicple in part A, with finding the centre of mass of a system of point masses, using:

edit: also in the markscheme, for Q5, i saw none of it just having '4' as an answer on its own - it all had working - might take a while to load - or just run over the blank parts of it with your cursor to make it show up.
I did that and got 3 as xbar but the answer is 4.5.
I did 0+9+0/3=3
What have I done wrong?
vinsta
Rep:
?

\therefore \displaystyle (\bar{x}, \bar{y}) = (\frac{x_a+x_b+x_c}{3}, \frac{y_a + y_b + y_c}{3})

Well not mark scheme, but examiners report it states "by intuition" some found x:
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...p_20060125.pdf
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did that and got 3 as xbar but the answer is 4.5.
I did 0+9+0/3=3
What have I done wrong?
you forgot to multiply the coordinates by their respective masses.
vinsta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clements-)
Or rods, i just did a question from June 06, q.4 where a frame was made up of 4 bars, and weights were added to two corners.
I don't like it when they change the situation half way through.
thenewromance1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't like it when they change the situation half way through.
I prefer that cos if it follows on from the first bit. If I can't do the first bit I'm usually then screwed for the second bit.
Unbounded
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
example.

3 particles A,B and C have masses of 1, 2 and 3kg respectively. they have coordinates (1,2), (1,1) and (0,3) respectively. find their centre of mass:

X-coordinate
 \displaystyle \bar{x} = \frac{m_1x_1 + m_2x_2 + m_3x_3 +\cdots +m_nx_n}{m_1 + m_2 + m_3 +\cdots +m_n}

\bar{x} = \frac{1\times 1 + 2 \times 1 + 3\times 0}{1+2+3} = \frac{1+2+0}{6} = \frac{1}{2}

Y-coordinate
 \displaystyle \bar{y} = \frac{m_1y_1 + m_2y_2 + m_3y_3 +\cdots +m_ny_n}{m_1 + m_2 + m_3 +\cdots +m_n}

\bar{y} = \frac{1\times 2 + 2 \times 1 + 3\times 3}{1+2+3} = \frac{2+2+9}{6} = \frac{13}{6}

\therefore (\bar{x},\bar{y}) = (\frac{1}{2},\frac{13}{6})

now try it with your question.
thenewromance1234
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
See, it's those questions I can do but they never seem to come up in the paper :puppyeyes: It's always some awkward rod question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.83%
No (516)
72.17%

Watched Threads